KiteLife Forum

Drooling while waiting

rfcaddell

Just ordered my first quad kite and it's a Rev B serie standard. I've been flying duals off and on for ten years and came across this website a while back and was amazed by the agility these type of kites have, and after watching some of the tutorial videos I was hooked. So now I'm sitting here waiting for the FedEx driver.

• Like 9

I've been reading both forums got some great info, that's how I ended up choosing the Rev B series also got a kind e-mail from John on what to order with my kite as far upgrades go, I also been watching John' s videos not all of them yet but working.

• Like 3

Just ordered my first quad kite and it's a Rev B serie standard. I've been flying duals off and on for ten years and came across this website a while back and was amazed by the agility these type of kites have, and after watching some of the tutorial videos I was hooked. So now I'm sitting here waiting for the FedEx driver.

Hi, and welcome to the forum. If you don't have wind, just ask them to put the windmill in reverse!

Watch the setup and assembly, line management, and launch and control videos several times while waiting. Like Wayne said, it will be time well spent. Watch them until you are sick of them and then watch them again. You want that info embedded in your brain. There is a boatload of experienced flyers in your area, including Wayne. Seek them out and join them for your first few flights, if possible. It will flatten out the learning curve. If you have to learn on your own, take your time and be patient. It can be quite challenging to gain enough control over the kite to avoid crashing. If you are going to crash, hit the bottom lines HARD and move your hands and body toward the kite; this will soften the impact. Don't worry if you do crash. The kite is pretty tough and will handle darn near anything you do to it. Choose your wind carefully for the first few times out. Look for 6-10mph and fairly smooth. Bumpy, intermittent wind makes it difficult to feel what the kite is doing. Fighting to keep the kite in the air teaches you nothing.

Don't get disheartened when a bit of frustration sets in; stick with and it will come to you. Take frequent breaks and don't try to out-think the kite. FEEL the kite and the wind. There are three stages of learning:

1. The Kite flies you.

2. You fly the Kite.

3. You and the Kite fly as one.

Ninety-nine percent of all Rev flyers are in stage 2, striving to achieve level 3. Sometimes, when the wind, your mind and your actions are right, it happens. Once you can achieve it frequently you are John Barresi.

Most importantly, keep smiling and don't forget to breathe. Then smile and breathe again.

Have fun! Post photos!

• Like 3

Hey thanks for the info, been watching John's videos he makes it look so easy with very simple steps. Now I'm really stoked I just figured out how to download John's tutorial videos onto my IPad and play them back at a later time. I'll take my IPad with me when I go flying this weekend (keeping it out of the sand and water) if I have any problems I can go back and replay some of his videos to see where I'm making my mistakes. I'll also have my wife video me with the IPad so I can watch myself later and determine if I'm picking up any bad habits like smiling from ear to ear when I get it in the air. My kite should be here Thursday evening if I wasn't so busy at work I'd almost be tempted to call in sick on Friday and go flying.

• Like 1

If you are going out to fly the quad - forget almost everything about dualies!! A quad is controlled more by your wrists and hands, than with the push/pull of your arms! The important thing is to learn to feel the kite as it flies, not fight it.

Remember - if the kite is going to crash - Give To The Kite!! Hit the brakes and step forward a bit. That lessens the impact. Pull or yank - and you just drive that sail into the ground even harder, causing ???? GIVE!!

I like the one video that John has that talks about the finger positions where the index finger drives the middle finger hovers and then the ring finger hits the brakes so if it looks like I'm going to crash I'll pull back on the the ring finger and step into the kite to lessen the impact

• Like 2

The one thing most new quad pilots tend to do is pull the arms up over their head, but if you are experienced on duals that should not be a problem. Keep your hands in front of you and you'll be fine. Some of the moves from dual do translate to quad, but most don't. Turns are initiated by applying some brake to the bottom line on the same side as the direction in which you want it to turn. If you want to turn right, right brake. Turn left, left brake. Going straight is just a matter of balance as it is with duals. Try going up about 10 feet and back down a few times when you start so you can get a feel for how much input is required to achieve the desired effect. Quad response is much quicker than dual, and you can use much less input to make it move.

Do try to fly with others. It will help a lot.

• Like 1

Love that build up waiting for a new kite. The fresh smell of Icarex.

Just got a used Peter Lynn Hornet III 3.0 Power Kite. It smells like my parachute, and nothing like the chinese kites.

Didn't know there was different smell to the materials. Just thought kites was supposed to smell different.

I'm hoping the winds picks up some this weekend it's been 2 - 6 mph the last couple days. Question I have on set up for my first time out, I ordered my kite with black race frame and 3 wrap frame along with 50# @ 75ft and 90# @ 75ft. Because the winds have been light lately I'm thinking I should go with the race frame and 50# line to start off with? Or should I stay with the 3 wrap & 90# until I become more proficient before using the lighter line and frame at a later time?

Either line set or frame will be fine in 4-10 mph. Under 4mph, use the 50# and black race. Over 10mph, use the 90# and 3-wrap. As you become more familiar with the kite you can mix and match for specific conditions.

If you can't stay airborne with what you're using, assuming you start with the heavier lines and frame, change out the frame first, then the lines.

P.S. -- Is it there yet? Is it there yet?

• Like 1

And remember, you do not need to replace the complete frame. You can replace the 2 sides of the leading edge and leave the center piece (faster and easier9, or the verticals. Some people are even using light conical skyshark tubes for the verticals.

If you have some carbon tubes of the right size from you dualies, you can use them as well.

The frame is where you do the tuning. Mix and match as long as it is symmetric. Got different Skyshark tubes myself to get something to play with. The camo colored and off-colored can often be had for a fair price if you look around.

Unfortunately, I found out my China rev-style is slightly smaller than the original, so I will have to cut the tubes 4-5 cm shorter to use it there, rendering them useless for a real Rev, or have them stick out a lot and stretch the rubber bands. Another of the disadvantages of my attempt to go cheaper initially.

Hot stuff! I love that color combo. Can't miss that one in the sky. Give me your boss's phone number; I'll call in your unfortunate case of whatever. Just kidding. I know how much you want to fly it right now, but wait for decent wind. Good wind makes it 10x as sweet.

I practiced putting it together and taking it apart a number of time. I see the end spars and the two vertical spars are all the same. What's the the best way to store the other frame and have it available when going out flying, what do you guys use?

If you only have the one Rev, roll it up in the kite with the uprights, or just in the sleeve. Just be careful where you put them when you fly so you don't step on them. I have a Rev bag now, but before that I would do what i just mentioned. If can put them on top of something else a few inches off the ground when you fly it will help keep them out of harm's way. Check the bridle for twists when you assemble the kite. Other than that, just get out there and fly.

I have a cheap kitebag from HQ for multiple kites, but my quad also cam in a nice bag where there is room for an extra set. Just wrap a rubber band around the extra set to keep them together.

And as someone else said, keep them out of harms way. The 2 spars I destroyed was not from flying, but one became victim to a knee, and the other when handling the kite in a stupid way on the ground.

Gorgeous kite!

Be patient with yourself when you get a chance to fly it. All the videos you see of folks doing amazing things with it are made to look so easy. It's not QUITE that easy! Your likely to get a bit frustrated when you're first starting out, but give yourself some time. Start off slow, trying to get a few basic maneuvers down consistently to begin with. Keep watching the videos, over and over and over, each time you fly and then watch the videos again you'll pick up more things that you've missed before. And ask questions on this forum, the Rev forum and on GWTW forum. Kite folks are some of the nicest people out there and love to help each other out. If any way possible, fly with other people. You'll pick up more tips and advice and lessen the learning curve tremendously if you can. And don't forget the most IMPORTANT thing!

Have FUN!!!

It starts off with one bag for all kites. Then all of a sudden it's a "Rev bag", a "dualie bag", a "slk bag" plus a sundries...

and it continues with power kite packs, stack bags, banner poles, car top carriers, eventually leading to influencing car selection, maybe a trailer or the ultimate, a van.

• Like 1

Will I made it out for my first time, the wind was blowing 3 - 6 mph I had a race frame in and using 50# line. You guys didn't tell me I would be trying to tame a wild mustang, it took a bite and a few crashes before I realize this is not a dualie you have to control it was small inputs, like John said small inputs small mistakes. One of the first lessons I learned from the videos was to turn the kite over when it crashed top down by rolling it over. I'm definitely addicted hooked line and sinker the only reason I stopped and had to leave was wife was complaining she was getting hungry it was way past dinner time. I will be back out here tomorrow for sure, THIS IS SO COOL!!!!. Now for some dinner and to watch some more of John's videostrim.9AC262DE-EFDA-4113-987A-E8ACA8D4025E.MOV

• Like 2

it took a bite and a few crashes before I realize this is not a dualie you have to control it was small inputs, like John said small inputs small mistakes.

Yep, but looks like you're getting the hang of it pretty well for the first time!! Looking good! Welcome to the addiction! :devil: