KiteLife Forum

New to Revs, need tuning?

IdahoFlyer

Hello, all. Greetings from North Idaho, the land of elusive winds.

I have been flying duals casually for a number of years (20 is a number, right?). I say casually because I generally wait for a trip to the coast for a flying frenzy, then casually forget about kites til next time. The winds here are generally gusty and undependable, or storm force and unflyable. During beach trips I have eyed the occasional quad in the sky with a bit of awe and envy, but could not justify the expense for 4 or 5 hours a year.

Recently, I discovered a park 20 minutes away, that sits on the edge of a swath of prairie and, happily, has periods of excellent wind. I am no longer casual about flying. I received my (first) Rev last week - a beautiful red, orange, yellow EXP - and launched it the next day. OK, I am hooked. Yes, I thrashed it and crashed it, but also FLEW it. Had a grin the whole time.

Now, the inevitable newbie questions. The kite has a slight tendency to (slightly) go left. I have checked the line length, the bridle, wingtips for caught lines, held both handles in one hand to watch it slowy lean to the left. Like a car with an alignment problem, I can compensate, but don't want to. Where else do I look to try and fix this?

Hm, sorry, a bit wordy, but I'm excited. Will be off to the park tomorrow with kite bag in hand.

• Like 1

Is the kite new or used? When you assemble the kite, do you check that the LE spar sticks out the same distance at both ends? Check the lengths of the bridle legs; each of the sections should be the same on the left and on the right. Check the bridle to make sure the cap hasn't swiveled around the bungee a few times on one side.

A tendency to turn left usually indicates a too-short left brake line, or a too-long right top line. This inequality can be caused by three or four different things, and it is an additive thing. Individual differences in symmetry may be small, but cumulatively have a larger impact on stability. All parts of frame, sail, bridle lengths and bungee tension must be symmetrical.

Also, check your arms for equal length -- lol, just kidding! Take some close-up photos with the kite standing up and the lines taut. Take shots of each connection point. Maybe we can spot the problem.

• Like 1

Actually Mark's comment about checking your arms for equal length is correct. A shrugged shoulder? One foot in front of the other? It all plays a part in how/where the kite wants to fly. It could be you're flying to the left of the center of the window. When you fly tomorrow plant one foot in front of the other then reverse them back and forth. Sounds like you're just favoring the left side. Every persons first rev favored one side or the other the first day out. Tomorrow concentrate on favoring the right side.

• Like 1

Thanks for quick replies!

I am adding "Check leading edge alignment" to my preflight list. The kite is brand new and the spars don't slide easily together, so might be off center there.

AND I will pay more attention to posture and body position. Was so focussed on "when my hands do THAT, the kite does THAT?" I could have been bent sideways with a foot in the air and not noticed.

Wind willing, I will find the culprit tomorrow.

• Like 1

Fast and easy fix is to bring in the top left line in one knot towards the handle, or if you don't have have multiple knots in the top leaders on the handles just tie one into the top left leader. That will shorten that leader just a bit and compensate for the inequality.

Also, here is a quick field test to see if lines are equal -

Hold both handles with one hand, at the tops, under the leaders. Hold both bottoms even in the other hand and keeping both ends even with the other, try launching. If the kite goes pretty much straight up - lines are close. If it still goes to one side, you've got a line stretched somewhere!

Two hours of excellent wind today! And an entire soccer field to myself.

I found the tuning problem - two (little) overhand knots in the bridle that were not supposed to be there. Flew like a dream after undoing that side of bridle and removing them.

Thanks for the help folks! Knowing where to look makes a big difference.

On a side note, trying to do a dive/stop and then mistakingly applying a whole lot more power just above the ground is, um, impressive to say the least. Good thing Revs bounce.

• Like 1

Yeah, probably more like twists than knots, right? Don't know how they get there. Easiest fix is to remove the bridle from end cap, take them out (some prefer dinner and movie), and reattach the bridle.

Yes! Annoying little boogers. So, now, once the kite is set up and leaning back against staked lines, I run my fingers down the bridle lines before walking out to the handles. Maybe overkill, but I have enough to do just keeping the kite under control to worry about "gremlin knots".

Yeah, probably more like twists than knots, right? Don't know how they get there. Easiest fix is to remove the bridle from end cap, take them out (some prefer dinner and movie), and reattach the bridle.

Yes! Annoying little boogers. So, now, once the kite is set up and leaning back against staked lines, I run my fingers down the bridle lines before walking out to the handles. Maybe overkill, but I have enough to do just keeping the kite under control to worry about "gremlin knots".

I believe you have just coined a new kiting phrase: "Bridle Gremlins".

• Like 1

Are there any clear pictures someone can link on what exactly the bridle *should* look like? Mine has a few knots and loops and I have no idea if its correct or not. Thanks!

Hi Fourteen, well that's what the numbers on your name add up to ! PM sent

This should help !

There has often been questions regarding how the bridles are fitted and I just decided to do this as a guide.

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/6173-bridle-images/?hl=bridle

Bill

• Like 2

Are there any clear pictures someone can link on what exactly the bridle *should* look like? Mine has a few knots and loops and I have no idea if its correct or not. Thanks!

Hi Fourteen, well that's what the numbers on your name add up to ! PM sent

This should help !

There has often been questions regarding how the bridles are fitted and I just decided to do this as a guide.

http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/6173-bridle-images/?hl=bridle

Bill

Perfect timing.

Someone recently gave me a Rev II, and the bridle was undone from the upper & lower.

Thank you for the link Bill!

Someone recently gave me a Rev II, and the bridle was undone from the upper & lower.

Thank you for the link Bill!

Hi Rudy,

You're welcome !

I do not have a Rev II but from what you said it must be the same as the Rev 1.5 and Rev 1.

Bill

Watty put out a video on changing bridles. It is exactly the same for any model Rev (assuming you're using a stock bridle). Takes just minutes to swap out a new one or to adjust in the field even.

Meant any of the regular Revs - speed and power kites are a bit different!