KiteLife Forum

Another day kiting

povlhp

Was out again yesterday. Pretty variable and gusty wind. Had just been flying the HQ Symphony Pro 2.2 for a few minutes when a cloud with lots of hail dumped some of its load.

Met another guy at the place where I kite. He was flying a Symphony Beach III 2.2, and he kept flying way higher in the wind window than me. I wanted the excercise, speed and pull at lower altitude.

Lots of things happened today.

First one of the included HQ 396 lbs lines broke inside the sleeve. Looks like the fibers where slowly pulled apart. Very fluffy line ending. So switched to my emergency 250 lbs 8-braid dynema fishing line set, and soft Climax straps. Lines worked fine, but the soft straps pulled themself a bit together, instead of keeping their width. So had to flatten them out once in a while.

When I switched lines, I added a 10m tail for the looks, and for slowing the kite a bit.

Later that session, when I bent to pick up the handles after having positioned the kite for launch, the kite just pulled the long plastic groundstake and flew like 100 meters.

Even later, I by mistake switched left and right straps, and had a very short flight.

Then I switched to my Rev-clone, and did some 15-20 minutes flying until next heavy clouds got too near.

I quickly packed up, and while putting things in the bag, it started pouring down, and other people out walking in the area ran for their cars. I was in full goretex rain gear, geared for the weather. I had put it on more for stopping wind than for the rain.

So an eventfull day out with mother nature.

post-8343-0-44047700-1431944538_thumb.jp

Will shorten the lines a bit. Guess I will lose 20 cm aka 8 inches. I can live with that. HQ will send me new sleeves.

Kiting is fun, and a sport/hobby with many aspects. For me the Quads are for relaxing, and the dual-line and powerkites for power and excercise.

• Like 1