KiteLife Forum

Overhand knot in sleeving?

HDguy

Some prefer the underhand knot in their sleeving. (tried to find a wise-ass smiley, no luck) Seriously, though, you can easily shorten them. Just tie a knot at the desired length, and clip off the rest. They don't really need to be exact, so you can even make the change in the field.

Made up a few line sets tonight. I think my pull tabs might be a touch long but I'll run with them as it will be winter shortly...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1432917608.221108.jpg

Hi Sparkie,

Too long ! just a shade, I usually have mine about 3/4 inch (2 cm) fitted.

By now you will have noticed that a lot is wasted compared to what is used but that

is what oddments are for !

Bill

Hi Bill,

Just got back from a quick go and I'm glad they were a bit on the long side. It was freezing out there, it's 2:30am and the wind chill is awesome. Just a gentle tug and they were off. I'll definitely make some shorter ones from the off cuts though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Tying an extra knot in the end of a loop is no problem, but they do tend to creep under pressure.

I avoid sleeving, as it is an complete waste of time and effort.

Without sleeving, you can use a quick release on your bridle pigtail as shown below:

Unsleeved.jpg

Just tie a knot in the pigtail, fold over the pigtail at the new knot and larkshead around the folded over pigtail. To release the flying line loop you just pull on the end of the pigtail.

Hi Allen,

What kind of knot exactly do you use to create the loop in the end of your unsleeved flying line?

Thanks,

John

Made up a few line sets tonight. I think my pull tabs might be a touch long but I'll run with them as it will be winter shortly...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1432917608.221108.jpg

I agree Rob. That's exactly how I make my pulls. I just use little pieces of left over flight line. I usually have a few feet extra, when I make a line-set, so I just chop them up into about 4" pieces, double them over and tie a knot. I keep them in my flight bag, and every time I use a set of lines that doesn't already have them, I add them...........makes life so much easier. I use them on all my kite hook-ups - single line kites (flight lines, tails, etc), dual line kites, and of course the Revs. :ani_victory:

ps.....is that Skybond you are using ?

• Like 1

That is 50dan Vector line. Roughly 110lb as 50dan is loosely 50kg. Prob a bit of overkill at 30 foot but it is responsive!!! I also love the colour, stands out against the tar at night. I don't might it being over as sometimes I'll use my 2-stack on short lines, or Supersonic...

I use sleeving and I always tied the little knot at the end. With my fingers and no bifocal lenses in my sunglasses, I needed that little extra help. Very convenient for undoing the larks head. After reading this thread and having the extra trimming left over, I made several sets of the little loops. Works great. Better than I expected. I will be swapping out knots for these little pulls on my line sets.

One other advantage to them is the line length. The pulls do not change the overall length like the overhand knots do. No more worrying about putting the knot at the same place on each end of each line.

Marshall

• Like 2