KiteLife Forum

Setting up a stack

Dave362

I've been kinda wanting to fly a stack lately. This morning I was flying one of my E3s and got to thinking what a great presence they have in the sky. really smooth flyers, too. So I want to put the two I have in a short stack, so to speak , and maybe pick up a 3rd. Trouble is, i can't remember how long to make the attachment lines. Can't remember what they're called, either. I've got a big spool of bridle line laying around. I assume that will be good enough for this. Can anybody help me get started?

Thanks,

Dave

There are a few "rules" that I have found.

Stack lines should be;

1) the length of the leading edge, or

2) 3/4 of the length of the leading edge.

So somewhere around there. As with most types of stacks the bottom link lines on the last kite should be a bit shorter than the others. This helps pull the stack together and reduces the wobble.

Post some pics when you can. I really like stacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

very good tips. RobB, do you remember what you replaced your spine with? I figure I should repace the spine and possibly the spreaders on the lead kite.

Im kinda excited about this! I wish i would have bought matching sail patterns on the two I have. Oh well, if I get the third pattern they made for the new one I'd have all three. That might be kinda cool

SparkieRob, I appreciate the bottom line advice. never heard that one before.

I took the entire frame out of an unused QPro for my E3. The QPro has a 2 piece spine, I think it was p200/p300, but it may have been just p300. I think the biggest improvement was using the 5pt lower spreaders. If you're looking to make a stiffer frame for the lead kite of a stack, you might consider building with QPro VV parts, I used QPro std. parts for mine...

P1080479.JPG

P1080480.JPG

P1080482.JPG

P1080473.jpg

• Like 1

Rob,

thanks for those pictures. Very helpful!

The VV uses 7 pt so I'll probably go with those for the LS. Not sure about the spine yet. I'll be in Ocean Shores in July so i'll probably give the lead kite to Andy to mess with. he's got a bunch of E3's in stock so I might pick up the third kite while I'm there.

Andy will know exactly what to do, I'm sure. How I wish I had a kite store like his close to me ! I remember that my QPro VV was super tough, could take 30mph winds without the wingtips shaking one bit. Not that you'll need the weight, but the QPro center T is much better than the stock E3 CT, it doesn't slide up & down the spine, and it will never break.

I think Andy was instrumental in the Micron mega-stack, be careful he doesn't try to talk you into stacking 10 or 15 E3s ! It would look awesome, but I think you'd need a harness...

LOL! Yeah, I could see him doing that! I fly my QP VV all the time. Its my day saver when the wind is just a bit too strong for tricking. With all that mass, the thing will roll up in a gale!

That QP center tee is a very good call. I've got a few extras. I can't stand that T on Qps because when tricking the sharp edges wear through the bridle super fast. Andy has repaired two of mine already. But for a stack that just flies around, it would be great. He can throw all that in there along with the new spine. Hey Rob, you've been really helpful with some great ideas. Thanks man.

good stuff. No, I hadn't seen that. I like the recommended one inch shorter for the LS connections on the back kite, to, like SparkieRob said, help with wobble/tracking. it will be interesting to see what Andy recommends frame wise. I'm pretty sure I could stack two, or maybe even three in lower winds, with the stock frame. With just three I think the main advantage to improving the frame would be rigidity and turning performance. The stock frame is pretty flexible, and in a stack would probably handle kinda weird.