KiteLife Forum

SLK Questions

Dave362

I'm a total beginner when it comes to SLKs and in fact just put the set up pictured below together a couple of days ago. It started out as a Gomberg 10 ft Double DC with a 6 ft spin sock. This combination seemed very well matched and i had a great time with it. Today we had a good bit more wind so I sprung for the 12 foot sock. The kite actually did pretty well lifting all this but I think there will be few times when I can put up both spinners with this kite. So I'm looking for a sled. My question is, what size sled can someone safely handle when flying alone? I was told to get the really big sled by into the wind, the 81 or something. The thing is huge! I'm a little afraid of something that large, but I'd like to get a larger sock and want to have enough lifting power. I've never been around kites like these and just need some guidance.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

post-8492-0-44074400-1433468375_thumb.jp

• Like 3

An 81 is a big honkin kite for lifting the biggest stuff. I have the Gomberg Super Sled which is 40 sq ft, but I don't think it's as good of a lifter as the Premier Power sled 36. Plus I like the graphics better. An 81 can really hurt you if you're not careful. Expensive really strong line and you need lots of strength to get it down, but you;ll be able to lift anything if you're set on putting both socks on the line. I'm a big dude and I don't feel like troubling myself with an 81. I'd rather just go with a sky form if that were the case.

BTW, you see he's wearing gloves in the photo for the 81. That is a must with the larger lifters.

• Like 1

Good advice. yeah, I looked at the photo of the 81 and felt is was made for someoone else, not me. Ill look closely at the 36. For the two socks i have, I need a bit more kite to lift them in lighter winds. The 36 looks like a reasonable option to accomplish this.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

i ended up ordering a Gomberg Skyform 30 and matching tail. Might not be the best lifter, but I just love the look, the lines of the kite. I'm thinking it will be great to pack on my bike, and stop along the way for a fly

I was thinking of offering my power sled 36 red storm. When you mentioned packing on a bike I knew it wasn't a good choice as these sleds are partially framed and do take up more space. I know the Air Affairs Sutton Flow Form 16 is in a package 10"x12"x2". I also have the Sky Hook 60' that's about the size of a 3 gallon carboy, which would fit inside the truck of a Harley flhtc but not the saddle bag. Sounds like the 30' was the right choice for your needs.

• Like 1

that was really kind of you to think of that. Thanks also for the confirmation regarding my choice. I think Ii'll do like Rob does and setup a back pack for it. Sounds really cool to take a bike ride with kite flying in the mix :)

This is one of the spots we ride to, it's a couple mile ride to the end of this preserve nearby us...

G0011305.jpg

Notice the bikes, and you can kinda see the backpack on the bench...

GOPR1296.jpg

I carry the Ultrafoil 15 and PowerSled 24 in the same backpack, along with line, sand anchor, gloves, and tie-off strap for natural anchor points. The Kap rig & camera fits in the front pocket, too.

• Like 4

Rob,

Would you please elaborate on the tie off strap setup? Most of my SLK flying will be inland, and often on fields maintained for sporting events. Don't think they would appreciate me hammering re bar into their nice grass. I'd like to know the best way to anchor to a picnic table or some such.....

Hey Dave,

I use a simple loop of rope, or a strap similar to a dog leash to tie off to strong anchor points. Could be a park bench, a sign post, railing on a dock...

G0052247.jpg

a carabiner clips onto the rope/strap once it's tied off.

• Like 1

Dave, don't worry about the bar. It's leaves a minimal footprint and nothing that will interfere, unless you're intentionally tearing it up. The hole is not even visible once you take the anchor out. Even if you use a two pole X anchor. I use a 1 in dia steel ground stake.

Thanks guys. Tmadz, These guys arre the soccer nazis. i do have to worry about it. For duals and quads, I can stick a screw driver sized stake and nobody seems to mind, but something deep enough to hold a lifter would draw some attention. Thank you though, for the explanation on how to do it when i'm at a less controlled space. Most places have a park bench or something I can tie off on. So then the Carabiner for laundry is just a three wrap proccess. To use one as a terminal attachment to the strap, how is that done? Sorry for all these questions, like I said, beginner....

Hey Dave... the great thing about a Windbreaker spool (bobbin) is that is can be used as it's own cleat. Just like you would tie a line off on a boat, you use the side of the winder as kind of a wooden cleat... a couple of figure 8s, and loop the last wrap under...

G0052250.jpg

I've also used sturdy driftwood to make a cleat when I'm using a hoop winder, but strongly prefer Windbreakers.

• Like 2

So today I was fly fishing with a close friend. After a few hours we took a break at this rustic boat launch. There were a few picnic tables and fire pits, but nobody was around and the landscape was wide open. We had a really nice, long conversation at a table near the water. So relaxing. I was thinking how nice it would have been to have an SLK to throw up while we talked. Not to dominate the occasion, but to enhance it, to add a bit of poetry. I made some straps like were mentioned above. I think the next step for me is to always carry a kite, and use it to make every day life more beautiful.

post-8492-0-41566200-1434054701_thumb.jp

• Like 3

right, or at least put a motor on the kite.... :prop: that was pic was taken in the morning..... like 5:45 AM. when we took our break we had about 10 knots. I just wanted to share a pic of the spot 'cause I thought it looked cool

• Like 1

Got my Skyform 30 in the mail today. I'm pretty pleased with the size. I had a hard time deciding between this and the 60, but seeing it spread out on the lawn I can tell it will have a good presence in the sky, and the smaller 30 will be much easier to deal with. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get a chance to fly it. Already, seeing it next to the matching tail I'm pretty pumped. This thing is gonna be cool! I put together a back pack with some 300# line, one of the straps I made for tying to stuff, gloves and a couple of carabiners. Looks like I'm all set. Thanks very much, you guys, for giving me the info I needed. And thanks to Tmadz for pointing me toward the sky form. Looks like the perfect choice!

So just one more thing, I got together with a flying buddy yesterday. He was flying a Fearless and i was yankin' on the GPS. After awhile i put up my 10' DDC and we took turns holding the line, pumping it up in a lull, letting out some line when possible. I can't explain why these things are so fun, but they are. So we ended our flying session dorking around with my SLK. Perfect day!

• Like 3

The SLK flying is a perfect diversion when flying multi-lines gets stale. Want a challenge ? Try putting a bunch of SLKs up at once, keep them all flying, and try to keep them from crossing lines & taking each other down. Especially challenging with long tails !

March2014.jpg

• Like 4

Here are a couple of shots of the sky form 30. Really awesome feeling, flying this kite. I know its only a 30, but it has a real presence on the end of the line. The sensation of flight is profound. I LOVE THIS KITE!!!!!!!!!

post-8492-0-41571000-1434492890_thumb.jp

post-8492-0-37553100-1434492912_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. You are the one that inspired me to try single lines. I saw how cool your 12' DDC looked and just had to give it a try. I'm very appreciative of all the help you've given me on this forum. Yeah man, just holding on to this thing is a rush! I had a bunch of duals in the car but once the Skyform caught some wind, that was it! Love this kite!!!

• Like 2