KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

Well, I didn't get my costume to the gym yet. :kid_devlish:

Patience still means wait nicely. It's hard to wait.. I'm getting excited about the single Rev.handle. Aughhh...Can't wait till it gets here.

Meanwhile I have been practicing with my indoor Rev. with indoor handles. I cut the lines down to just under 9 ft. It does make it quicker, so I'm going to bring my Rev. 1.5 SUL handles which are shorter then the indoor handles and try them. I think it will help me to slow it down with a little less over control. Actually what I think it will do for me is make my reverse easier. I am doing some fast movements and want my reverse 360 more controlled.

Hey, I came up with a new combination that I like. 1) A "Guillotine"... Revolution dead launch from ground leading edge face down towards me, to over my head and flying behind me in a split second. 2) Reverse Overhead. Pulling the kite back over my head from behind me in reverse so it comes down in front of me leading edge facing 12:00. 3) and then a few Pivots Me and the kite spinning. Very easy, very kewl in no wind. 1-2-3 punch. B)

We have a potluck on Fri. when we'll go over what the office is up for at the talent show and I present my ideas to everybody. Most are in... some are still in the dark. The kewl thing here is I asked the receptionest downstairs if she heard what we were going to do and she said no. Misty wouldn't tell her. Yeah! Element of surprise would be wonderful. :P

Yesterday I ordered 2 red gymnast ribbons. I'm thinking I'll be using them in my Jester routine and the girls can use them in the skit. Since I'm in property management I thought I might pull the skit together with "Sam I Am" trying to rent a property on Green Eggs and Ham St. :kid_cussing: I know.. I over do things. The office should let me know when I've gone to far. lol

I guess I better go. I've some planning to do. Rev on! :kid_frustrated:

BB Penny

i do like your CAT suit... LOL

Thanks Allen. I hope to get pictures of the whole cast when we do the first production. Hhehe our 10 minute skit is a production.

I cut my Indoor Rev. lines down another foot. ewwww... but workable. I changed to the 1.5 handles. It makes the kite not as twitchy since it is so fast on the short lines. I believe the 1.5 handles have more bend in them, which gives me more play and I don't lay the kite out so easily. We'll see how it goes.

I can do my whole routine without hardly touching a wall in the raquetball court. That's an amazing feat in itself. And it's almost totally choreographed.

I picked up some blue wigs that are perfect for Thing 1 and Thing two's costumes. I told the people, I wouldn't buy their costumes, but if they bought cheap, I will pay for them and keep them for my future events. I bought like six blue wigs to be on the safe side.

I hope to set the Dr. Seuss stage with decorated exercise balls and hula hoops. Thing 1 and Thing 2 will wreck havoc on the audience and pass out fliers with the cast names on it. The story line worked itself out great and all is good. On top of that..... I received my renessance (sp) music. Woo Hoo!

If you go to Amazon.com and look for the CD "King's Courtand Celtic Fair", you can listen to free samples. I'm partial to #16, 2, 3 and 5, but I have to work it all out and that is going to have to wait until January. Well, I guess I better get to work. Stay dry!

BB

Penny

Hey, I came up with a new combination that I like. 1) A "Guillotine"... Revolution dead launch from ground leading edge face down towards me, to over my head and flying behind me in a split second. 2) Reverse Overhead. Pulling the kite back over my head from behind me in reverse so it comes down in front of me leading edge facing 12:00. 3) and then a few Pivots Me and the kite spinning. Very easy, very kewl in no wind. 1-2-3 punch.

OK, I call this combination "Combo #5" It's the Guillotene, reverse overhead, spin, reverse 180 or 360 and another reverse overhead to in front of me. "Combo #5"

And I've conquered the raquetball court!

I repaired my UFO, however, I strung it to tightly and will have to redo it. Yuk! That's work. You notice I never talk about housecleaning in here. Yuk, that's work too... But some things you just have to do. :lol:

BB Penny

BB

Penny

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope everyone has a plethora of things to be thankful for.

We had a wonderful day. I have my new handles. I'll try to get a picture of them tomorrow. I'm also going to fly with them tomorrow.

We'll see. Here is a picture of the Jester costume Mom and Ralph made me. Too cute!! How funny with the right routine. Mom is holding one of those glass cubes with a jester inside it reaching for the moon.

Have a great 3 day weekend.

BB Penny ~ who ate to much.

ps~ the picture does not do the shoes justice. curly point sewed down so string can't get in it. Every one needs a pair of those. lol :)

Here is one with a new toy to add to my routine... except don't expect me to be doing the splits or anything like that. I'm a jester. :) .. not a gymnist. I'll be giving the ribbons to two of the cast to practice with for the company skit.

I shouldn't have cropped it out, but I am playing with the ribbon not only with my tall hat, but also two low chandaliers on either side of me.

To much fun. BB Penny

Thanks Anthony, No I have not and I guess I need to.. Just afraid I'll go in and never come out. :) I dislike goodby's. This has been almost a blog spot. Cody found a blond or a red head... Amy is busy sewing her heart on to kites. Monkey and John are busy starting a new ERA with Revolution. lol I guess I should poke my head in there. I have something I have to get done today though, so maybe later.

lol See you soon. Chatting with my daughter in Italy~ who's name is Era. lol BB Penny

Hello,

Hope you all found fly time.

Ok, Here is a picture of Ralph's handles for me to try at the gym. It's a single handle for a Revolution Kite. It's a prototype off of Roger Maddy's handle. Thanks Rodger. There is still some work planned on them and once we get it where it works for me , we'll probably switch the wood to something softer. I'm keeping an eye on my hands to make sure I don't get broken blood veins from the pressure.

It fits in my hand, though I may need it shaved just a little bit more. It's more the mechanics.. will it work.

There are two tiny nails in the wood, that can be adjusted to let the handle move only so much in that direction. I think I'll try it today.

When I went to the gym Fri, I left them at home and took my new ribbon instead to play with. lol It's amusing and I'm sore. So here's the pic for now. 6 inches across the top and bottom, though it may not be exact and may be adjusted at trials.

Thank you Ralph.

BB

Penny

I DIDN'T FALL OFF THE STAGE!

The stage was so big, after being in the raquetball court, it was awesome. Except. I've been practicing with more depth and the stage is wider rather then deeper. I'll have to go practice facing a different wall.

I would have liked my ending timed a little better, but I think I got a reaction out of the judges when I took the UFO launch from the ground behind me to over their heads in front of me, lol it may have been a few feet away, but I am sure you they were not expecting it. lol It's so much fun to show kiting to the part of the world that is not familiar with it.

I won't know for a week if I made it or not, but hey, I didn't fall off of the stage! That and Steve said that they didn't video tape the group before me, but they video taped mine.

The Admiral Theatre has extra awards this year for best dancer, singer and instrumental. :P I'm just a kiteflier.

My choreographer in the past told me to dress a little different because I am not any of those. "Don't wear what they expect and don't let them pigeon hole you." I say, it's good to be unique, strange, peculiar and odd. I also say it's great to have that try out overwith!

BB ~Penny.. starting to brain storm for the skit routine~ and looking forward to flying that single Rev handle!

BB Penny

We had an indoor get together yesterday with the Washington Kitefliers Association and the Pierce County Kitefliers. It was a blast.

I didn't take my single handle. It's a small gym with other people and you have to concentrate on the kite ~not if your going to bump heads with someone else. It was a great get together all the way around.

We had a few new people, Joanne and Don Lord from Canada, and Lam and Theresa were there. They are probably flying in Orting even as I type.

Dick Curran always tells me I look funny.. and if you know "Rip Van Wrinkle, don't let two colors match-Dick Curran", you know he's got no room to talk.. so I always whisper back.. "You look funny" to him."

This has been going on to close to 15 years. I told him when I walked in the gym.. I'm going to whoop your butt. I've got your clothes beat today!

I put on the cat costume for a demo and he said I just looked silly.. not funny. lol Ok, I'll accept that.. but this isn't the clothes I was talking about.

Next I put on the Jester costume.. and ta~da.. I had him beat!!!

Well, in my mind I had him beat... but Dick, said, "uh, huh... you only have on two colors."

Well, you be the judge... I'll post a picture of Dick here and you've seen the Jester costume above. What do you think?

BB Penny

Cat's hot, Jester's not. Pretty funny hujh. Indoor, if it goes as plan, 2 ribbons in one hand, 1 in each hand, 1 ribbon, 1 UFO and then 2 UFO's in the first 1 1/2 minutes.. and then I get to the Rev.

The Cat routine is going great. You can see some more pics at www.myspace.com/penny_lingenfelter

It's looking animated, which is the goal. When I get the Jester pics up you'll see my feet are firmly planted. That's how new it is. :)

BB

Penny~flying Jest for fun. Oh, and I have the grinche's dog Max w/glass blinking nose and a Keystone Cop added to the skit next month. The office is just having to much fun with it.

BB

Penny

I thought I was suppose to hear from the Theatre today. They call whoever is in it and post them on the net.

:) I may not make it, only 1/3 make it. They hadn't called, but they hadn't posted on the net either.

Steve told me he thought he read it was Tue. or Wed. None of our paperwork has that infomation. Maybe it's tomorrow. Now, I'm on pins and needles since I thought it was suppose to be today. aughhh!

I wish I had gone and flown tonight.

BB Penny~ thinking... you can't keep a good kiteflier down~ You know we're always looking up. :P

Ouch, Well, I didn't make the talent show. :) It's about a dozen of the county's best talent. Singing, dancing and instrumental from the looks of it. Oh, well.... more tap and piano and no kiteflier.

Some people don't think kiteflying is art, some don't think it's a sport.

We know it's both. I like to remember a kite judge coming up and apologizing to me a few years after he had judged one of my first competitions. He said he didn't realize how difficult Rev's were till he tried it. That was outside.. Balancing the kite on strings inside is an even greater challenge. There are more venues out there. No biggie.

I ate to much chocolate and begged Era to send me pictures. of the kids... heheh I don't feel that bad... It's just excuse to get more pictures.. and it better work.

Time to get indoors again. I've had something every evening this week. Oh, and we're working on our ideas for the cat/hat set. There's enough to keep me busy for a month. Now I'm excited all over again thinking of that one handed handle.

Have a great evening.

BB Penny~wandering away to find more chocolate.

• 3 weeks later...

Steven practially dragged me to the gym. I had other things to do and was just pissy. (yeah, I can get in a bad mood like anyone) I was so mad... didn't want to be there.. Then after just a mintue of flying I was laughing out loud. It was good to be back! BB Penny We've got a grinch mask and thing 1 & 2 shirts.. and lots more ready for the skit. ;)