KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

Ok, Rick, I see nothing with wrong with role reversal. Any cake jumping and flying to the stripper, can be done by you! <_< Should we take a vote on who would want to see that. lol

Hey, What about Moon? Won't she be there? I'm hoping Aiyana makes it, but she might be out of town helping a friend.

Gosh, kiteflying is still a man's sport. I'm doing my part in trying to change that!

Hey, if they have the indoor open late, I'll be tossing you guys over for an indoor spot... then any rum would have to wait. My kite just can't seem to drink and fly. hmmm, probably a good thing. :)

BB

Penny

:) Now I really do like that hat idea, course you would need a smaller diameter straw for the coke side. I am willing to start taking bets and giving odds on the kite out lasting Penny. I can see it now Penny is passed out face down on the floor and the kite slowly drifts down landing on top of her ;)

Only inside Cody... OUtside.. I can stake that Rev. and it will fly itself. Very tricky. :)

I tried buggying again last night. Tall grass, in a bowl, with trees all around and light winds. Got a few pulls in, but mostly the kids at the softball field enjoyed it and the Rev. ;)

BB

Penny

• 2 months later...

Stan andI have been emailing me and he had questions on how to keep the kite up on such short lines. I'm going to post my reply. Hope you don't mind Stan.. Oh, and I had to add a paragraph on the indoor version. Here tis.

-----Original Message-----

From: Penny Lingenfelter [mailto:revkitedancer@hotmail.com]

Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 4:09 PM

To: stanleybacon@hotmail.com

Subject: kite preaction

Hi Stanley,

The way to keep that kite up is to keep it moving. Pre-action... everything

you actually make it do you have to tell it before it will do it. That's a 1/4 of a

move before it actually happens.

When I teach people to turn the kite over from the leading edge on the

ground. 1) lines tight, 2)long arms... step back., take both feet. 3) one

foot behind you so you don't fall.

Now since the kite is in reverse, push down on only one thumb.. and move

your arm down and around like your bowling. Keeping your arm against your

body so you don't pull the kite out of the wind window. (Some people tend

to pull out in a circle. think about what that does to the kite.. pulls it

out of the wind window.. one corner to you)

Inside**** This move may actually be your arm drawing a 1/2 circle or arch in front of you. ie. Right turn over; Take your right arm put it thumbs down over your left hand and draw an arch over your head. Remember, it's what ever works!

As you turn the kite over with that thumb-be ready to "pre-act" When the

kite is facing 9:00 (right thumb turn) Push down on your left thumb... the

message will race down the lines and stop it at 12:00. If you wait till

12:00 to push the brakes, the kite will keep going and turn 180 degree back

to the leading edge on the ground.

Now you probably know by now.. preaction becomes second nature. You tell

the kite what to do and it does it.

The same thing with short lines. Preaction and learning what it takes is

important. You do have to do some walking in no wind. Even light wind, but

it can be slow, circular, straight back, even forward... But if there is no wind you have

to move.

Pay special attention to the end of your handles. Are you flying with them

pointing down most of the time? They need to go up, if you want it to go

up.

Oh.. did you lower your hands on the handles... very helpful.

When the kite is on tip.. facing say 9:00.... pull back on the top wing...

towards your ear! Check out what that does to the kite.. tilts it in such a

manner it catches air and gos up. Again what you do with the bottom of the

handles determines what the kite will do. The ends will probably need to

be pointing slightly up.

But since it's just like your holding the kite when you fly, your hands

should be right over left.. with a 90 degree turn in them.. so instead of ^

^ they should be < two of those - one on top of the other.. that's how

you fly it on tip across the window.. cause if you bring your handles down

to ^^ you've told the kite to fly facing 12:00.

Learning to pull back a little for lift, helps.. and keeping it moving

helps. Start with overheads. Try to point those handles all the way up to

th sky... upside down! That will make the kite go over your head! Keep

walking forward and push down to use your breaks and you can stop the

flight behind you.

oops.. gotta go.. hope this helps. BB Me

Remember there is no right or wrong way.. it's whatever works! We all have different styles and that's part of the excitement of kiteflying!

BB

Penny

• 4 weeks later...

This post has had so many hits, I thought I'd post the indoor video site here, too.

It's a web commercial for their festival. :unsure:

http://www.lincolncity.com

Go to calendar of events, October kite festival and push on the media or real player.

Maybe they will post it on the March indoor site, too. ;)

It's not the best flyiing, but a good example of indoor w/varies kites.

BB

Penny

• 1 month later...

Indoor... Tryouts for the City Talent show in 9 days! :wacko:

I hadn't flown in about 2 weeks. B) Nice rest.. now I'm over it. After flying last night I looked around and said what can I do? Say.... It may not be to late to sign up for the talent show tryouts! So I did... and I will... but don't mention "break a leg" quite yet. Still have to make it thru tryouts.

Wonderful getting into the gym last night. I forgot why I was resting.. oh yeah... weekends full of kites! I was tired...Now I'm rested.. flown and exhilerated.

It's so wonderful to Fly!! :wacko::)

Oh, had to pick up some pirate costume pieces last night, that were just to cute to pass up. (And they looked Penny proof for packing and wear and tear) Now I've got to find some music.. Like.. "It's a Pirates Life for Me!" Oh... Aiyana.... Aiyana...... ever heard of that song? (She finds songs wonderfully!)

Have a great day! :pinch:

BB

Penny

After practicing last night I remembered what I don't llike about flying at the theatre is the small space. I'm probably using abuot 13 ft. of line on the rev. and that won't do there! ughhhhh Flyijng on 8-10 ft. is just not as pretty. :wacko:

Oh.. note to myself... "And I won't forget the men who died, who gave their lives for me-and I'd gladly stand up" Drop kite edge back.. 3 steps forward.. pull bottom lines into hand.. Look to the sky.. Throw kite. Something I thought of after I put the kite away.. So back to the gym to put it into timing and see if I can do it right 9 out of 10 times. Steve said don't.. but sometimes it's all about the difficulty. Yup.. make the difficult look easy. or crash and burn. :)

BB Penny..

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't try out for the Bremerton City talent show last year, but this year I did.

:)

Everytime I go back it seems like the stage has gotten smaller. I was in for a shock when I went in and they told me... "The stage has gotten smaller' :blink::wacko:

6 ft. less, I think in every direction. Lights, down, curtains hung different. oh boy. So it was pretty ugly at tryouts last night. I had just shortened my lines and it wasn't enough :huh:

I explained to the judges that I had just been informed of the new construction... but could go home and make shorter lines. So we'll see... :blink: will I make it in? I won't know till Nov. 23. But the small amount of room I'll be in, I don't think I'll be putting anything difficult in after all. :(

Steve did tell me I had flown clean routines there in past, with the exception of a catch at the end, due to the (this is a dirty word) :lol: airconditioner and bad planning on my part. Even blind folded I didn't fall off the stage... ahhh sometimes the little accomplishments are so important.

So much to do and so little time to fly. Have a great day. BB

Penny B)

• 3 months later...

I flew the air-yo outside at lunch. It was a lot of fun, though I thought I might have a fat lip there for a minute. :)

Then this evening I took the rev, flghter, and air-yo inside. Playing with all three in turns. There were maybe 10 people and they had a lot of fun. Lots of laughing going on and a couple of the boys were very good with the 1.5 Rev!

The mother of three of the boys and I introduced ourselves. She said she had seen me in the Admiral Theatre talent show. Her daughter was one of 6 pianist who won!

Her son was in it this year and when she called her daughter in CA to tell her how it went she said her daughter just wanted to know how the lady kiteflyer had done. lol awww... shorter lines!

Anyways, it was a good fly except my third air-yo broke, luckily after most people had left. That's why I think a little sturdier made would be better. I have to add hunting the right wire for a threader to my to-do list. <_< What is the best way to seal that wand - stic/spar so if the protective cap comes off the line doesn't slide down the spar cutting the line?

It was a nice fly... I'm still smiling, but tired.

Rev~on.

BB

Penny

Now, an airyo is fixed.... (it's a no wind toy, that's why it's in this thread) and my buggy is back together..(wrong thread, but I'm just glad it's back together) and my gold coins are made for my leprechaun kite. I've reinforced them as much as I can, but I'll probably take them inside today to see how they hold up today.

BB

Penny

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting closer to complettion on this years routines. They are actually two seperte routines that are linked. 2 songs on each routine. As usual the times will probably put me out of competition with them. That's ok for now. it really takes me about 2 years to get a routine ship shape. These routines are for the shows.

I spent an hour and 1/2 at the recording studio yesterday doing my voice overs for my routines. Hopefully the audience will like them as much as I do.

1st, a pirate who shares the secret that pirates actually are kitefliers. (hey, the proof is in thier raggedy pants. They needed cloth for kites... and all those one handed pirates with hooks.. well... that's what happens when they use the sail cloth! (ok, I didn't explain the hook part in the voice over... didn't want to scare the kids) :w00t:

I see gold at the end and jump in the water to go after it. Ending with "Man Overboard!" Duffy at Meat locker recording studio did a great job putting seagulls and music behind the voice.

Then my leprechaun voice over.. "sniff sniff. sniff sniff.. I smell a pirate He'll be after me gold!" .". but uses her rainbow to fly her pot of gold away. It's John Wayne's "Quiet man" music very fast and gains momentum. I took it indoor to try it out and it's doable. Though I hope CA is cooler then lst year.

Mom keeps saying she wants to come up and watch.. But I get in the gym from 9-10 pm with headsets on.. I just don't think there's much for her to see and keep putting her off.

So I called Mom to see if she would like to come to the gym, hear it and maybe hollor, "ANIMATE Penny" lol Any coaching is a plus! It's easy to fly the kite, but moving your body takes some practice!

This means my routines for 2005 is about 2/5 done. The Music, voice over and planning.

Jerry @ Fincher's Airforce is repairing the leading edge on a couple of old Rev's. I still need to paint one black w/crossboones.

We'll see what happens.

I'd really like to plan a trip to go play inside with the east coast flyers, just to see how their progressing, have fun and gleam what I can from them. It could happen. :P

BB

Penny

ps :) I'm sure John will be so happy when I get my web page up and quit using the forum to vent.

ps :w00t: I'm sure John will be so happy when I get my web page up and quit using the forum to vent.

I for one, sure don't look at it as venting! I enjoy and Thank you, for sharing! Good luck on the progress! Can't wait to see you fly it. Maybe some demo practice at LC?

Theresa

PS....thanks for the mail! :)

Thanks Theresa. Mom and Steve and I went to the gym last night and tried the music for the first time voice over's and all.

B)

Anyone remember the music from "The Quiet Man.?I think it's as he marches across the fields... and /or the fight.. but my husband says the music is fast! I told him no it's not, it's fast and gains momentum! lol Mom might come up and help me learn to time and 1/2 my flight, so I'm not as jerky... (watch it) <_<

It's just almost impossible to do a single step and have the kite 1/2 step... little more then rubbing your tummy and patting your head. I think Mom will be a great help. :P

It is so fun! You know what I have to work on.. What my son use to call his biggest muscle and he probably got it honestly---my mouth. A voice over not only requires animated pantomine movement.... but I have to learn to lip sync my words. :w00t: Arrrr... oh, and I wore my pirate costume and took my bubble sword in the gym... oops... keep a rag close to hand for wet floors!

People I passed on the way in said one word....... Arrrrrrr! :)

Lots of fun! :D

BB

Penny

Oh Debbie it sounds wonderful. I need to get a hold of Moses Lake. They have planned their festival for the same time as the NWSKL. :w00t: I'm not fully commited to anything at this point.

Good to hear from you. Have you heard from Ms. Aiyana? She should come down for that, too.

Lucky you at the beach! Everyweekend we've had beautiful blue skies, nice for a change from the rain, but there's been no wind! I can stay home and fly no wind.

Thanks for letting me know about the indoor Deb.

Hey, if I come down, do you have a driveway I can park my van/rv? You know the blue one with the stars. That use to be grey. It makes me smile. :)

BB

Penny

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not positive I can make it to Ocean Shores. :lol: No promises.

They liked my new routines at Lincoln City. :) They need a lot of work, but they can see where I'm going with it. lol Changing costumes in the ladies room gave me the opportunity to get feed back from the audience. :w00t: They liked the gold pieces in my leprechaun routine flying off the back of the kite. It looks ugly to me, because I can see where I had to sew the pieces together, but from the stands they saw flying gold pieces. :w00t: Yeah! I usually think I have the best view of the kite flying, but that would be inspiring to see from a distance. (Hmm, more gold outside?), or will it do like my pirate banner and fall apart with pressure?

OK, I'm on the lookout for black on both sides. heavy duty crossbone, triangle flags. I saw some at the Oriental Trading Company after I'd purchased mine.

My kite had a wardrobe malfunction. <_< My flags from tip to tip would break apart most of the time with pressure. Now I know. <_<

I can't wait to try my messy pirate routine oustide. The bubbles on the gym floor are so slippery!

I can't wait to get the routines decently choreographed.

Now it's time to take them outside to practice in preparation for the outdoor shows. OK, I'm tired and babbling. I'm going to go find Steve and slip quietly next to him. He'll ground me. OH, and one more piece of info...

Ron Sears said he was looking into a generator big enough to light a City! Lincoln City's Indoor Festival should be even bigger and better next year. Woo Hoo! Have a great week every one. LATITUDE 45!

BB

Penny

PS

Naughty, knoty Rhonda. I'm so glad you told us the story, now I know it's you!

BB

Penny

• 2 weeks later...

Poor Bill Walton at Moses Lake. It's the busiest time of year for his and Sally's Moses Lake Flower Shop. He puts that event on single handled and it's so much work. If I know Bill, he'll be back. Just wish there was some way we could assist.

On another note: We made the Sports page again! Lincoln City sent me some rips of an article (mostly pictures) that they ran after our Indoor event. With coordinators like Sandy Pfaff and Ron Sears behind us, this is going to keep growing into an awesome signature event for the city.

The News Guard in Lincoln City Oregon did a fine little write up. Hopefully, next year they will do a great plug for the event prior to it. The reporter called it a deceptively difficult sport. I kinda like that...Try dragging an SLE around with banners attached.. deceptively difficult. ;) Don't forget to check out the video under Demo's on the kitelife site here. Tks John, and whoever else is responsible. :D

BB

Penny