KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

Ok, Bill..... If the flyer sits on the floor to fly, does that count as entertainment value, or a degree of difficulty?

Entertainment value only, It wouldn't help 85% of the score. Again, for the ballet portion, the judges are only judging what the kite is doing, not what the flyer is doing. If the flyer is standing on their head, it just doesn't matter, except for entertainment value :kid_content:

Oh, and If I need a banner pole to fly my flighter to the degree in which I wish it to fly, is that a handle or a prop?

As long as the purpose of the banner pole is to fly the kite, I have no problem with it. Sounds like a really long handle to me :kid_content:

If the pole is used for something besides flying the kite, then we have an issue.

I appreciate your answers Bill.

No problem, I appreciate being able to clear this up before the actual event.

See ya,

Bill

My next question;.... In my humble opinion, and word of experience, sitting on the floor and flying a kite is more difficult.

So can't it cross over from entertainment value to degree of difficulty?

Not without changing the rules. The only time what the flyer is doing comes into play is in the entertainment value.

As a judge, I have to judge to the current rule books to the best of my ability. Doing so, if two people flew identical pieces, one sitting on the floor and the other not, they would both get the same score.

I understand your point, but that is how I read the rule book.

See ya,

Bill

As a judge, I have to judge to the current rule books to the best of my ability. Doing so, if two people flew identical pieces, one sitting on the floor and the other not, they would both get the same score.

So they would both get the same score in execution, however, entertainment value is more? ok.....

Now if we put kite tails on, that 's not a prop, right?

BB

Penny

John, you've seen my pirate banner tails, triangle flag shapes... what a pain! (I mean... whew, thank goodness for those tails)! lol I need them on my indoor.....

Do you think they will call them tails or props?

I'd hate to be practicing not grabbing my butt during my routine, so my britches don't dq me britches as a prop just to be DQ at the end for my uhhhmm kite tails. :) lol

Seriously, did you know there is no time limit that the kite has to be in the air for indoor competition? You can be on the ground between 2 -4 min. and only fly 1 minute of it. I was surprised at that one too.

We'll whine and snivel now that there's not more choices in the indoor competition, but there will be more and varied competitions in the future.

Hey, I think Pauly is going to be at Long Beach too. Way kewl! We have a collection of wonderful out of area flyers coming.

Well, I better go pack. Hopefully, I can find out about my kite..tails. :)

It's going to be great to watch. We'll try to get lots of pictures.

BB

Penny

Do you think they will call them tails or props?

I'd hate to be practicing not grabbing my butt during my routine, so my britches don't dq me britches as a prop just to be DQ at the end for my uhhhmm kite tails. :) lol

Again, from the email I sent you a week or two ago:

"Definition of a prop:

A prop is any object used in the course of a competitor's performance that is NOT:

- attached to a kite being flown

- part of a kite's control system (like handles, straps, lines, etc.)

- part of the competitor's costume "

That is the definition we will be using.

See ya,

Bill

A prop is any object used in the course of a competitor's performance that is NOT:

- attached to a kite being flown

- part of a kite's control system (like handles, straps, lines, etc.)

- part of the competitor's costume "

Yeah Bill I got that.... but of course it's still a little vague. Not so vague as much as I'm just poking fun at it.

I know I can fly whatever I want off my kite as long as it is attached to the kite.

I can't use a prop that is not a part of my costume.

So my bubble sword is part of my costume... (which I won't use on the new gym floor) but for the sake of arguement.. It is part of my costume..If I swing my sword around, it then becomes a prop.

I''m thinking I'll leave it at home, so I'm not even tempted. :)

It's not as clear cut as all that is it? Don't worry, I'm only playing and double checking. :)

BB

Penny

So my bubble sword is part of my costume... (which I won't use on the new gym floor) but for the sake of arguement.. It is part of my costume..If I swing my sword around, it then becomes a prop.

Just for record, and those who will read this thread... You've got this part exactly right. :)

Yup, I didn't grab my butt, I didn't wear my sword, and I came in 10 out of 15. Of course part of that will be a minute not in the air with my voice over. Otherwise, the flying was ok. Entertaining... and not a bit difficult. lol Not quite sure why my score was so low.. darn, I've been doing overheads, 360's and reverses for years. Don't they ever get tired of those things?

We saw some amazing stuff, and lots of fun! OH well, it's back to what the judges want to see, not what they do see, and they can't count anything that is difficult if it's outside the norm. Not that I mind in this case. I went in it to see what would happen. Reminds me of part of a poem.

"It isn't the fact that your dead that counts, but only how did you die?"

Now I'm going to take 2 days off to rest and get the house back in order and then it's back to the gym to fly. :) Not for the judges but for me. Woo hoo!

BB

Penny

• 2 weeks later...

I should have never taken that day off. I ended up sick for a few days. But woo hoo, it's Friday, and I made it to the gym every day this week at least once and sometimes twice. :kid_content:

I was at a friends house and walked into the kitchen. I put my arm out and my hand up in a "stop" type gesture to stretch the muscles in my hands and the pain was so intense it almost brought me to my knees. Leigh walked int othe kitchen and gave me a quizzical look. I pointed at my hand and said, "It hurt." He put his hand up in front of his shirt and said, "This hurts?" "No, I said. "This hurts" and I put his arm stretched out with his hand up.

You see, I've been practicing with my one handed handles.... and.... since I'm breaking 50lb test line, you know I have a lot of resistence. If I rammed into you to push you back that would be about the force that is necessary at times. Men's muscles would have a clear advantage here. Some of the grunts that come out of me are not very lady like either. :censored:

Arlington, OR's indoor is in two weeks. What fun! Come and try my kites. the 1.5, the indoor on regurlar handles and the one handed handle. Well, I better get to work... ouch, ouch... my hands hurt... heat, ice, heat, ice. :)

Have a great weekend!

BB

Penny

I received a 1.5, an Indoor, and a R/W/B SLE Friday. Woo Hoo, and a UFO and quad handles for it! Now I'm scared to try it. It might have to wait till next week, after practice for this coming weekend is over. Woo hoo! Look out. Now, how is Lee stacking those things?

BB

Penny

I received a 1.5, an Indoor, and a R/W/B SLE Friday. Woo Hoo, and a UFO and quad handles for it! Now I'm scared to try it. It might have to wait till next week, after practice for this coming weekend is over. Woo hoo! Look out. Now, how is Lee stacking those things?

BB

Penny

Lolly's been busy!! We got our box from her on Friday too! :revangel:

See you this weekend!

Theresa

Yeah! I took 2nd in the "Up the River Kite Festival" this weekend. I competed with the single handle for the indoor Rev. It was the only kite I used in the competition. Sweet! Bud Hays took 1st place. Congratulations to him! and Wayne Turner took 3rd place. I tell you, it could have gone either way for any of us there.

I thought Allen C. did a great job with his flying two single lines at once, but I guess he crashed,tangled at one time. I tend to remember the good and skirt over the bad, so I forgot that part. I know he impressed us and we enjoyed it.

Allan had better look out, I just discovered how much fun two UFO's are at once! Talk about feeling dazed and confused!

Yeah! I took 2nd in the "Up the River Kite Festival" this weekend. I competed with the single handle for the indoor Rev. It was the only kite I used in the competition. Sweet! Bud Hays took 1st place. Congratulations to him! and Wayne Turner took 3rd place. I tell you, it could have gone either way for any of us there.

I thought Allen C. did a great job with his flying two single lines at once, but I guess he crashed,tangled at one time. I tend to remember the good and skirt over the bad, so I forgot that part. I know he impressed us and we enjoyed it.

Allan had better look out, I just discovered how much fun two UFO's are at once! Talk about feeling dazed and confused!

YA... but I have proof i can fly THREE at once.. I am my own team! now ... how do i change direction or fly in different directions.... 3 kites 3 different directions and 2 arms... maybe I need some bollons to help out eh?

YA... but I have proof i can fly THREE at once.. I am my own team! now ... how do i change direction or fly in different directions.... 3 kites 3 different directions and 2 arms... maybe I need some bollons to help out eh?

Yes, you do! 3 at once inside! I've seen two stacks flown inside, but not three till last weekend! Way to go Alan!

Now I get to tell them about my new move. :)

It's called the a"Gyro". I fly my Indoor Rev in a 360 clockwise circle either close to the ground or higher, while my body spins in a counterclockwise circle.

My mom came to the gym at 6:00 AM to watch me fly Friday and offer some advice (the day before the competition mind you) Her advice was to holler when I did that move, or another move, where the flyer is part of the action. Now most of the guys do this naturally, but it's not natural for me to holler for myself, so it's taking a little practice.

Monkey says this move can only be done with my single handle. Anyone out there going to practice enough to get this move down and prove him wrong? :)

The single handle that I have does not have a swivel in it that will turn the kite, so I compensate by tugging string. The basics are easy, the rest is more challenging and takes practice to make it look good. Not only the kite, but to make it look like I know what I'm doing instead of stumbling around with the lines. Yup, I want to make it look magical. Making the difficult look easy. :)

Someone who gets a swivel into those handles will enjoy that and it would be the only feasible way to fly two rev's at once inside IMHO.

I can see it in my future, but not today. There's just to much to work on~

I'll look and see if I have Roger's email still to get the picture of his handles.

BB

Penny

Monkey says this move can only be done with my single handle. Anyone out there going to practice enough to get this move down and prove him wrong? :)

I'm mentally picturing how one could do that with a pair of handles and its making my brain hurt a lot

:)

But, its a damn impressive move!