KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

A funny thing happened on the way to the flick flac. It's so easy to get side tracked.

I've watched Lam walk under his kite and with it-towards it~across the court~ taking his kite for a walk. And I've seen other people do this with single line and double, but I hadn't seen much quad walking yet.

With the single handle it gives me some nice advantages.. At least makes it easier--with practice. No doubt, I'll take this to the normal handles to work on in the future.

Tugging on one line (which I hope to be able to get away from somewhere down the line and fly it with just one hand) allows me to steer the kite in a float and give it lift. Before the end of the Indoor Kite season, I hope to be able to walk any where in the room while walking it forward in a float. "Walking the Quad" Just as easily as flying it in "forward up" in no wind.

I can repeat 360's at least 3 of them while I do this. So it sounds like a simple floating 360. Aughh, it's so hard for me to describe. More then just a regular two handed 360, it's capable of more up and down motion in the float position. (Float position is kite face down, Rev logo facing down, floating in the air.)

Tracking overheads in a float; Going up and over from side to side in a float position.

Countless Overhead pivots: You might call it an axel, but to me it is just an overhead pivot. Though *just might not do it justice.

I'm still working on the flick flac.. it's not easy for me. :throb: Isn't that crazy..

Wow! Something else I did last night for the first time was something I did not even think you could do with a rev.

Everyone who watches Jeff Reed fly his fighter truly enjoys his performance and with good reason. He has a plethora of moves. Now I'm talking about this no-wind. One move Jeff does is keeping his fighter kite on spot and pivoting it while he walks a circle around the kite. Hellllllooooo~ Indoor flyers start learning by flying the kite in circles around themselves. Lol We are amazed. Jeff is less impressed. He says it is not difficult. So do try it at home.

I'd never tried it with a Rev and seriously thought it would not be possible. I tried it making the Indoor Rev fly in pivots while I walked it.. It was not easy and it wandered about 2 ft. Not on spit spot, but if you do it once, you can learn to do it. :P

Woo hoo! With the Rev, I think it's like doing a triple jump ice-skating. It's going to be a hard, heavy move, best done near the end of the routine not after a half hour of flying. Whew! But how kewl. Do try this at home. :

It was a great indoor fly~ and who knows what else I'll learn from that darn flic flac.. lol which I spell wrong every time.

I've got three grandchildren waking up to enjoy Thanksgiving with.. Hope you all are as blessed. BB Penny ~who hopes Era gets over the flu and feels better.

It finally happened, I sprang my wrist.. just a little.. and over the last couple of nights, not all at once. I should have braced it after the first twinge of pain, but lifting, not flying pains me. Now I'll have to take it easy for a few days. :w00t:

Not before I did almost 3 minutes of music flying with my left hand and my right hand in my pocket. :lol: I can't read sideways, or do anything with my left hand.. except fly a Rev. :lol:

Mind you, I don't mean overheads and 360's, I mean Kite *Dancing. My kite loves to dance, wiggle, shake, reverse, spins.. walk and roll. One day I'll get some video up, but for now, I don't even want to type ~ cause it hurts. :lol:

I'll pull out the single handles while it heals, because flying the Rev in a single hand is a little more stressful.

It's God's way of saying "Get your Christmas shopping done."

Have a great week.

BB Penny ~who is enjopying her floats, but head hurts to bad to figure out how to float left at this time..

From Fumiko Kurose-Bretzke

Penny Lingenfelter Genie and Kite Fairy video.

Bud Hayes and Mario's competition video:

Link:

Thank you.

So it turns out the flic flac is the* Pancake. I had the wrong name. I’m sure I described what the move looked like. Fine!!. Lol I hadn’t been to any sites lately that have all the names listed. Lol I might just make up my own names.

In any case, I’d recommend checking out Watty’s tutorial under Trick flying/ Quad Tricks from Watty in this forum.

I’ve seen Watty fly it better, but he was working on the video.

He did a great job. *Check out how he is moving his body while he does the tricks.

Don't forget to move your body forward and back as you need to. :)

I came home tonight and asked Steve if he had any athletic tape. My wrist isn’t sprained, just strained- with pain.. but it’s been a few days and picking up a cup doesn’t pain me. I'm thinking I could wrap my wrist and practice a little. Oh boy~ running for my tennis shoes.

Then I called the gym… there is a basketball game going on. Grumble grumble.. I’m going to go watch TV with Steve. Someone out there please fly for me.

BB Penny ~ who will at least spell pancake right

From Fumiko Kurose-Bretzke

Penny Lingenfelter Genie and Kite Fairy video.

Bud Hayes and Mario's competition video:

Link:

Thank you.

Must comment, flic flac is definitely not the same as a pancake...

Pancake with dual or quad, is flying straight down, then letting the nose/LE sail out so the belly faces down with LE away, tail to you.

Flic flac on a dual starts with a pancake, but flips back and forth from belly up to to belly down repeatedly (pancake/fade/etc/etc).

Flic flac on a quad is pretty much the same, but with the nose up, flipping belly UP (LE away/tips to you), back to normal, etc, etc.

Hope that sorts out any confusion for readers down the road. :)

Thank you John,

Yeah, I am practicing the flic flac! Not just the pancake.

Now what do you call it when you pancake and keep walking forward?

It's not exactly a lay out or float.. Or at least most of my floats are at an angle.

You can comment in here. :)

BB Penny ~ who's flic flac and footwork is improving.

I've never seen a flic flac indoors... It's too hard to get the Rev off it's back, and facing you again.

Only done outdoors, from what I've seen.

Can you describe the flic flac, in your own words?

It's not exactly a lay out or float.. Or at least most of my floats are at an angle.

Like an extreme ground gainer outdoors, where the kite glides LE away from you, facing down, allowing you to walk forward quite a bit... I always call it a "fly away" or ground gainer.

Is that what you're referring to?

I've never seen a flic flac indoors... It's too hard to get the Rev off it's back, and facing you again.

Only done outdoors, from what I've seen.

Can you describe the flic flac, in your own words?

Like an extreme ground gainer outdoors, where the kite glides LE away from you, facing down, allowing you to walk forward quite a bit... I always call it a "fly away" or ground gainer.

Is that what you're referring to?

Flic flac on a quad is pretty much the same, but with the nose up, flipping belly UP (LE away/tips to you), back to normal, etc, etc.

John,

I can't find the nose on my Rev. Help, I havent' got a nose! did you get my nose? Just kidding.

Ok.. I am working on;

Rev coming straight down leading edge first. Walk forward, handles down, and forward making the kite pancakefront down leading edge away-tips towards me. Then popping it back up. Only my up is leading edge down, tips up, the same as when I started the move... then back down, and up.

Does it take a front down- facing the ground, then front up- facing the *ceiling to become a flick flac?

I'm only taking it up to tips up, leading edge down on my return. I'm sure I'd need weights to do any more then that... and I'm not playing with weights.. ..yet. :)

So do you think it is just multiple pancakes or a flic flac?

I like the name fly away, better then the ground gainer, because so far it's not the easiest way to gain ground inside. I guess I've got a lot of practicing to do.

BB Penny~who's happy to be just a kiteflier.

Rev coming straight down leading edge first. Walk forward, handles down, and forward making the kite pancakefront down leading edge away-tips towards me. Then popping it back up. Only my up is leading edge down, tips up, the same as when I started the move... then back down, and up.

Does it take a front down- facing the ground, then front up- facing the *ceiling to become a flick flac?

Nope, those are simply multiple pancakes (by name)... In and out, in and out, etc.

Flic flac is with tips down (starting), and a quick flick to send the tips upwards (face up or all the way over to face away), then an identical flick (flac) to get it facing you again... Again, being a fast move, it requires sail pressure and weight in the kite.

I've never been able to do one on the Indoor Rev (too much belly as well = wind resistance).

I like the name fly away, better then the ground gainer, because so far it's not the easiest way to gain ground inside. I guess I've got a lot of practicing to do.

Fly away, yeah, me too. :)

Nope, those are simply multiple pancakes (by name)... In and out, in and out, etc.

Flic flac is with tips down (starting), and a quick flick to send the tips upwards (face up or all the way over to face away), then an identical flick (flac) to get it facing you again... Again, being a fast move, it requires sail pressure and weight in the kite.

I've never been able to do one on the Indoor Rev (too much belly as well = wind resistance).

Fly away, yeah, me too. :)

Thank you John, Now I know. Ok, mulitple pancakes and a fly away. Yes, when Joel looks at the indoor, perhaps we can do something to make this possible. BB Penny ~who has to get back to work.

While we are talking about names, here's one for you Penny. This is a trick that I have seen you do in a video, so I have gone to practice it, and I used it several times at Camas. I plan on making a tutorial video for it, and I'm not sure what to call it. I'm planning oncalling it a swep (because it sweeps along the floor or something....)

The trick is seen in this video at 4:10

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...ricks&hl=en

While we are talking about names, here's one for you Penny. This is a trick that I have seen you do in a video, so I have gone to practice it, and I used it several times at Camas. I plan on making a tutorial video for it, and I'm not sure what to call it. I'm planning oncalling it a swep (because it sweeps along the floor or something....)

The trick is seen in this video at 4:10

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...ricks&hl=en

That's one of my moves. Not sure if anyone else was doing it before last year or not. I like the sweep part.. unless we can come up with something else that finishes the move. Sweep launch maybe'?

Thanks for asking. Though we all name are moves and it might stick and it might not. I missed seeing you do it. Good to see it!!

Now Spence lets work on flying a Rev while we sit in a chair indoors, and the flicflac.. ewww.. not going to be easy. :)

BB Penny

Well, the sitting in chairs I can already do. However, I prefer a swivel stool. So then I can still do an entire 360 while sitting very easily.

As for flic flacs, This coming Wednesday I have some things that I'm going to work on. I think I may have to throw some weights in my kites to make it possible. What I want to do is a normal flic-flak, then I also want to do Paul DeBackert's signature move with an indoor rev.

Two questions Spence,

1) Can you fly a routine in the chair, not just 360's and overheads, and make it look good already? I'm going to check it out today.

2) What is Paul's signature move?

Go for the weights Spence. You can share what you learn with us. :) I can't wait to see it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1009485866837776506

This is the Longbeach Windless 2008 Hot Tricks with Lam and I.

At 1:28 is the sweep launch. and at :25 is the jump rope.

There's so many things not on the hot tricks video that I didn't do. Javelin throw, can can.. etc, but check out Lam's flying! Wonder if he has a name for the reverse float at 1:56

He follows with a pull catch.. and I like that he pulled it to his shoulder.. I teach people to pull to thier waist so it will float to thier waist. Just so it doesn't poke their eyes out. :D ~Where you pull is where it goes.

I think I'll pull mine up a notch.

The nice thing about learning kiteflying and tricking is that's it's brand new to us, no matter how many people have done it before us. Each kiteflier is a pioneer.

Maybe I can do a move that someone else can not do. They have to work on it and discover what it takes. Or we can go test fly it and tell them what to do, or show them. But it will still go back to each flyer discovering what it takes that they are not adding to the equation.

If you can, video tape those practices so you can study it and see what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. It's a great tool.

Each kiteflier loves the feeling of discovery.. and still appreciates any help we can give them. Keep the tutorials coming Spence. :P

Kitefliers are ________________. One word.. what would you put there?

BB Penny ~who better get ready for the WKA/PCKA Indoor Fun Fly and Christmas party.

I tried sitting in a chair and flying the Rev. It was ok, a little work but practice would certainly put you there.

I liked Standing on the chair better. You had a bigger wind window. If you had told me I'd be standing on a chair flying a rev indoors, I'd of told you that you were crazy. lol Now I guess we know, it's me that's crazy. B)

I think I'll work on that. The flying standing on a chair..not the crazy part. :D lol 1st time trying that!!! (for me) I liked it. It has potential. Ok, now here's how the kite gathering went. ~

The WKA, Washington Kite Association, and Pierce Coutny, PCKA, Christmas Party raised over $800 for the food bank tonight.

I came out a winner in the bag raffle. Woo HOo! and don't think I didn't shout.

I won a Prism Pin wheel I really wanted! Thank you who ever donated it!! Some kite line that will work great for indoor Revs, a pretty christmas place setting, a dual winged plane kite in a box. I can't wait to take a closer look at it. A couple of KIte T-shirts and kite pins I didn't have. Sweet~

Then there were the hugs.. lots of hugs.. a few cheek kissings too. :) It was fabulous seeing so many people I'd been missing. Jeff and Betty were there.. oh, my gosh.. They tye dyed my first custom rev.. 10 years.. two kids later, they are ready to get back into kites.. and it looks like the kids are too.

Deb and Stan, Casey, Marianne and Glen, Georgean who's been busy and missed a lot and we missed a lot of her. James and Tommy were there.. and Tommy was winning like crazy too. A nice beaded kite necklace, winders, I don't know what all.. but she was smiling.

Ken and Suzanne Conrad always make it to this event. Thier busy and happy as always these days.

Dick Curran was flying a beatiful prismatic single line glider he had made.. Man.. wish he'd put that in the bag raffle! It's beautiful.

Shout out to those that cooked the hams and turkeys, set up and closed down the Party.. Thank you~well done! Glenda, Glenda. Jerry, and Maryanne? We owe you.

Gosh, there were more people then I can mention.. (Though I'll probably try.) Barry and Susan were there. Phyllis and Rich who are getting ready to go on a kite trip to India! Stay safe.. we'll look forard to the stories when you return.

Vic, Patty, Tish.. and I'm sorry.. I forgot her name. Well, I forgot a few names. I didn't get a visit in with everybody, but I tried. Big Bear Barry was there also.. in the West port Windridrs Superman costume... hmm.. Xray eyes? :D He only has eyes for his wife who I only got a glimpse of as a red cape floated by. lol Sounds like the kids are grown and doing well.

Mary and Don, Scott Davis, Jerry Cannon, Toby who brought 5 other family members. Karen and Leigh from my home town. Rick and Freida, Sylvia, Wayne, Sonia and Gemma and Geneivene. (sps) Bob and Donna worked hard, Jen and Mike came from Ocean shores. Heather, John, Ralph, Harriet, all looked nice and dressed for dinner. They've traveled enough, they were looking forward to some vacation time at home. :P Anna and her husband were there. Kristian and Scott were big winners too.

There were more people there then I can remembver. It was great to see some people, and some people that didn't make it I missed alot. Hopefully we'll see them soon.

Have a great Sunday.

BB Penny ~who enjoyed all the wonderful dishes that people brought to the dinner and all the visits, though some were to short.

Two questions Spence,

1) Can you fly a routine in the chair, not just 360's and overheads, and make it look good already? I'm going to check it out today.

2) What is Paul's signature move?

Go for the weights Spence. You can share what you learn with us. :) I can't wait to see it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1009485866837776506

This is the Longbeach Windless 2008 Hot Tricks with Lam and I.

At 1:28 is the sweep launch. and at :25 is the jump rope.

There's so many things not on the hot tricks video that I didn't do. Javelin throw, can can.. etc, but check out Lam's flying! Wonder if he has a name for the reverse float at 1:56

He follows with a pull catch.. and I like that he pulled it to his shoulder.. I teach people to pull to thier waist so it will float to thier waist. Just so it doesn't poke their eyes out. :D ~Where you pull is where it goes.

I think I'll pull mine up a notch.

The nice thing about learning kiteflying and tricking is that's it's brand new to us, no matter how many people have done it before us. Each kiteflier is a pioneer.

Maybe I can do a move that someone else can not do. They have to work on it and discover what it takes. Or we can go test fly it and tell them what to do, or show them. But it will still go back to each flyer discovering what it takes that they are not adding to the equation.

If you can, video tape those practices so you can study it and see what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. It's a great tool.

Each kiteflier loves the feeling of discovery.. and still appreciates any help we can give them. Keep the tutorials coming Spence. :P

Kitefliers are ________________. One word.. what would you put there?

BB Penny ~who better get ready for the WKA/PCKA Indoor Fun Fly and Christmas party.

Here is a video with Paul's signature move. It is at 6:45 in this video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=72...+2008&hl=en

Here is a video with Paul's signature move. It is at 6:45 in this video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=72...+2008&hl=en

Aww, I saw Lam do that many years ago. Not sure what they call the move. That is an awesome video. BB Penny~who's just waking up.

BB Penny

Very interesting post !

Last year, I organized an indoor flight at the Montreal Stadium. It was my first experience and I realy enjoyed it !

http://www.lcvs.ca/album.php?no_album=19

Now that I just finished reading the 42 pages of this post, It revived the feeling I had at the Stadium.

I will definately find a place to repeat this great experience and again invite my fellow kitefliers :-)

Oh my gosh. You read all the pages? You probably know me better then I do. :) I was introduced as a slightly crazy kiteflier in my first newsletter article and I've held tight to that handle.

I loved seeing the pictures. Wow, kites and skateboards in a stadium. Early morning or late at night? How did you score a stadium for practice? I couldn't tell was there a top on it?

I looked at another gallery too. Nice. I'll have to revisit it. Feel free to send your friends in here and to post, and especially to leave links to indoor info.

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only indoor flyer out there, but they are all over the world and growing in numbers.

Thank you for stopping in and sharing. BB Penny ~ who enjoys all kites indoors.

Very interesting post !

Last year, I organized an indoor flight at the Montreal Stadium. It was my first experience and I realy enjoyed it !

http://www.lcvs.ca/album.php?no_album=19

Now that I just finished reading the 42 pages of this post, It revived the feeling I had at the Stadium.

I will definately find a place to repeat this great experience and again invite my fellow kitefliers :-)

I start my day around 5:30 in the morning by answering my emails then I navigate the web. It's always a pleasure to discover new kite related websites and specialy kitefliers that are new to me and there's a lot of them ! :D

So yes, I read all the pages of this post :)

You might know the guy with the rev in the first photo it's Jean Lemire from Montreal.

We often ask our friends kitefliers to come to our events and I wanted to thank them in a special way. I made a few phone calls and got the Montreal stadium for four hours on a sunday morning with the top on it :) They asked me to write about who we are, why I wanted the stadium and a resume about each kitefliers. We had free parking spaces and accomodation. We only had to pay the fees for a security guard.

The stadium was not available this year because of football games and dog shows. I tried other special places but was not as lucky :wacko:

but I'm sure I will find a nice place so we can, again, have a couple of hours among friends to have a good time flying indoor kites.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the warm welcome !

p.s.

:) excuse my basic english... but practice is good !

Oh my gosh. You read all the pages? You probably know me better then I do. :)

Penny- i read all of this as well....

simple thing: go to http://www.blogspot.com and get a free blog....you can email in your posts or post directly.....then you can have people use the rss feeds to follow your exploits......

i use one of their blogs for my website and it is great......get more exposure than just us reading here!!!

add pix....videos....everything....be easier to navigate for us following this thread too!

always good reading this though......

rob

... excuse my basic english... but practice is good !

You might want to check on your translation/understanding of "basic" ... your English far exceeds the basic level. Your English writing might have a slight accent, but it's very good.

Welcome and enjoy,

Tom

simple thing: go to http://www.blogspot.com and get a free blog....you can email in your posts or post directly.....then you can have people use the rss feeds to follow your exploits......

i use one of their blogs for my website and it is great......get more exposure than just us reading here!!!

add pix....videos....everything....be easier to navigate for us following this thread too!

Thief, you know we've got a blog system on this forum, capable of producing an RSS feed? :)

Thief, you know we've got a blog system on this forum, capable of producing an RSS feed? :D

I don't do change well. I kind of like the idea that people have to be looking for this to find it. It seems lonely in the blog box. :)

I try to keep it on subject.. I do ~really. I don't want to give up this old spot and don't want to double post..

I could use easier.. My print has to be so big that I only see parts of pages and reply to the wrong one sometimes. Sorry..

It's Friday... my Fly day!! :wacko: Have a great weekend all.

Thief, you know we've got a blog system on this forum, capable of producing an RSS feed? :)

why-no i did not......cool!!!