KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

It was a greatt weekend! Thanks for all the help this weekend..

Great festival, great things happening.. great people.. We will be there next year for sure.

Hope everyone has a safe trip home...

hugs mousie

It was a great weekend. I hope somebody gets an article to Kitelife or AKA.

Someone who will talk about how Kay Buesing from the kite museum who is there when you arrive no matter how early, and there when you leave.

How 80 something year old Mary, one of our favorite volunteers sits and guards the door so people don't go in an out while the flyers perform, instead of enjoying the show from inside the gym. Or how late Sharon and the other museum volunteers are up after the potluck. They would have to mention how tirelessly Bob and Donna Wendt work at the sound booth.

I'm sure they'll mention the sponsors like T's "Kite Shoppe" that set up a booth, answered questions, and helped flyers, or at least tried. Theresa put her hands on my shoulder and said, "Sit down, relax a minute Penny" ha! like that could happen.. "NO”, I said, “I have to much to do."

Still, if we needed a part, missing a spar, or looking for just the right kite, Theresa and good friend Nina were there to help.

Jeremy, with sons Zach and Sam were there. We enjoy watching the boys grow up as much as we enjoy their kiteflying.

OOOhhh, Amy Doran being beaten by her 16 yr. old son. Go Connor! World Cup champion Jerry Cannon, who's wife Marsha raffeled off her latest quilt "Rok on Rok". Lucky Jeannette won it.

They’d mention all of the people who took time out of their busy schedule to judge, rather then fly.. Bill and Jeannette Rodgers, and Scotty Weider. I'm not sure of others.

Justina!!!! Oh, Justina!!! The best runner, costume director and general manager I've had in a while. Thank you young lady. Your mermaid costume is coming. :sq_baaa: Thanks Mike for bringing Jen and Justine.

Toby who brought Dick Curran, or was it the other way around? , Dave Brewster, Bud Hayes and the girls. Don and Mary Ostey added their support. Our kite life forum Andy..... RX? , he was there flying a glider and adding some romantic flying to the queue.

Past audience members were there, coming from some distance to try again.

I know I forgot to mention many people that I will want to add later.

Seriously, we have so outgrown this gym. We're going to be needing a place that provides more room. There were students with 8 kites up at one time in this small gym and at least that many people on the side lines waiting for their turn.

That being said; we are so thankful to have this event and gym and SCOTT DAVIS for taking the time to put it all together. Great big THANK YOU's!!

BB Penny ~who’s still thrilled to get two kites at once up :innocent: and hearing rumors of a new indoor event in Ellensburg, WA in April.

BB Penny ~who’s still thrilled to get two kites at once up ;) .

That was the Highlight of the Show......

Hmm.. Romantic, I was going for Spellbinding, but Romantic is good. Thank you very much Penny. There is a feeling or high that people get from flying kites. John calls it the "Glow." I call it "Aoxomoxoa," which is also known as "Vaporish," as in the Prism Vapor. The only time I got that feeling from watching a kite fly was Dicks first place fly last year at Windless. I was trying to recreate that feeling for the audience. It was nice to hear from several of the public that the routine had moved them.

I even got fan mail from the Hayes girls.... so cute.

Rx

BB Penny ~who’s still thrilled to get two kites at once up ;) .

That was the Highlight of the Show......

Hmm.. Romantic, I was going for Spellbinding, but Romantic is good. Thank you very much Penny. There is a feeling or high that people get from flying kites. John calls it the "Glow." I call it "Aoxomoxoa," which is also known as "Vaporish," as in the Prism Vapor. The only time I got that feeling from watching a kite fly was Dicks first place fly last year at Windless. I was trying to recreate that feeling for the audience. It was nice to hear from several of the public that the routine had moved them.

I even got fan mail from the Hayes girls.... so cute.

Rx

How Cute! Glad you had a good time and the girls are giving you input. lol

BB Penny

Here are two pictures of Penny Lingenfelter flying two revs at once. The Revolution kite I'm flying is a white one and the black, gold, red. The last picture is after throwing them down, declaring I'm done and I was happy!

Just wait, next year we'll get good.

BB Penny ~who better get ready for work.

I can hear Kid Rock singing, "It's a Mermaid!" ;)

Here are pictures of my first mermaid costume. My tail needs a smaller gage wire to hold it's shape and a cut on the top to define the tail more. No sewing, except for a few small stiches.. and that won't be necessary in the end.

I've picked up material to do the kids's mermaid costumes. The girls really wanted to wear one this weekend, and I didn't have them ready. I"ve figured out a way to have the kids help make their own costumes by pinning on tufs of green at the hips, and the tail, so no matter what size they are, we can do it. A greecian wrap and pin with an extended tail and the fins pinned on. I plan on having all sizes from toddler to mom.

I'll get new pictures up at least on my space of the flyers at Windless. They did a fantastic job, and what fun we had!

BB Penny ~ who enjoys all the perks kiteflying gives her.

Great new costume Penny!

I really like this one!

you can use your fishies!!!!!! the ones you always mark out the kitebag area with ! How cool will that be.

hugs

mousie

Thank you Amy. I liked hearing people say they didn't know it was me at first.

I'm sooooooo glad you like it. You know I need adult help w/ the kids and they have to be in costume. lol ;)

I have a 1/2 hr. TV commercial from Brookings that Nancie sent me and Steve ran out in the middle of my routine to save a butterfly kite.. Oh no -..dressed as Steve! I let him know.. he needs a costume. I'm so glad he loves me.

Yes, the fishies.. jelly fish off a stick inside at Lincoln City, blue and green diamonds.. Sometimes I wish my pocket book was as full as my imagination. :P

BB Penny ~ singing.. It's a mermaid!

Lincoln City Indoor Kite Festival is coming in March.. Best of the best. The show, the Parks, the two extra fly spots (gym and commons area) for lessons, practice and fun. We are all looking forward to it.

On another note; Be sure you are checking our Watty's tutorials and Wen's moves in this forum under ‘Kite Videos” Windless with Watty.

I accidently said David Brewster at Windless Long Beach. It was David Bradley. I'm Sorry, I didn't get to see him fly very much. What little I did see was his usual graceful fly style with improved skills, and a slimer body. Woo hoo ~ All good.

Amy, and other kitefliers are slimming down with indoor flying too. It's a perk~

BB Penny ~who needs the treadmill, too.

My living room is thrashed. There are remnets of material, and a dz. glittery mermaid tails hanging all over. It's lunch time and I'm coloring scales on the mermaid tails. infant to adult... I've cut, glued, colored and need to iron, cut out grass and more.. All for kites.

How did it ever come to this? :P

BB Penny ~who spends more time preparing then she does flying now a days.

OH Yeah ~, I finally did it. Spending 45 minutes in the gym last night flying two Rev kites at once. No… I didn’t keep them up for 45 minutes. B) 45 seconds was probably the longest.. But I did crash, land, relaunch and regain control – I use the word control loosely- about 3 pull it up, reverser it back, go forward saves per flight attempt.

Better yet. I had no problems when I came down. No 15 minutes of untangling! Woo hoo! Now that I’ve spent some time on the single handles I can control the crash/landing enough to not tangle. Wow, what a lot of work!! :dizzy:

I always say 2 minutes goes a long way when you first start indoor flying. You are tired, your hands are up in the air, the resistant pull of the kite, walking, even almost running as a beginner, wears you out quick.  45 seconds of two indoor Revolutions at once is exhausting.. I’m having trouble waking up this morning, but that’s probably because I can’t get in the gym till after 9 PM and get to bed later then normal. :mellow:

Woo hoo! Those Revolution kites are soooooooo much fun. Steve came in and watched. The last fly, they came down on top of me and we were laughing so hard. I figured, this will take at least 5 minutes to untangle.. So I told him, I’d untangle and join him on the treadmill. When he left, Ba da bing, ba da boom, they were untangled.. .and I had two more flys before …… :P . …..My second single handle fell apart in my hands. Lol I didn’t see that coming! Oh, well, I had decided for now, I would duct tape them and keep them stationary, as it is the handle with the movement. I’m not ready for the movement yet and I’m directing the kite ok, without it. Later….

I’m going to have to try and find a handle replacement because the handles move left and right pretty freely. Well, there you have it.

Roger Maddy who flies 3 Rev’s at once outside, told me it couldn’t be done. We know it can be done. It’s just going to be a long road of practice, laughing, soar muscles, yea, and some untangling. (hey, there's no smiley face tangled in line available)

Outdoor season is getting closer, so enjoy all the indoor you can in this cold weather.

BB Pernny ~ who needs to wake up.

Go Penny Go! I am looking forward to seeing you fly 2 Revs for 2 min. at Lincoln City. :P

I am working with Skate, training him to be a little more judge friendly, Wren is getting jealous, I am not sure what she is going to do when Echo shows up?

Rx

Thank you Andy.. Dream on!!! two minutes is an eternity for me right now.. ok,I'll work towards it.

Tell Wren not to get jealous, your just having a little fun.. it's only a fling/ a fly by night thing. and just let Echo know she is just a stand in till you get your rev. B)

BB Penny ~who made it to work on a sheet of black ice.

Now I know why more people aren't flying two indoor Rev's at once. The cold might have something to do with it, but I feel my back near the bottom of my shoulder blade, and my neck in a spot I never feel. I didn't fly last night, giving it a break.

Today I'm fine, but it makes me aware of the danger of what I'm attempting to do. Part of it might be that I used the lines that were on the kites and one set is about a ft. longer then the other. I want them both the same size. I think I want the line longer to slow the kites down as well. I'm going to go at this slowly and carefully. I do not want to get hurt and be unable to fly for the rest of my life.

Festivals are being scheduled for the summer, and vacation days planned. We'll get some of the events on the calendar soon.

BB Penny ~who has a few sparkly mermaid costumes drying in the living room.

Way to go Andy :P

That clip was mighty fine. I just never know what you will pull out of that never ending kite bag of yours. :clap;:)

I am trying to buy an indoor REV but don't like the standard colors they have. Going to ask if they could do the bright neon or something B) Then maybe you can teach me some indoor techniques????

http://tinyurl.com/Skate-Windless

Thanks to the Lommel's for the videography and the kind commentary.

Rx

I'm so glad you posted this. What wonderful grace and control. It was nice to sit and watch it with my coffee instead of through a little window outside the door competing with other bumping heads for a view. Do you fly fighters? BB Penny ~ wh's glad it's Wednesday.

The mermaids are coming! The mermaids are coming!

My husbands is such a sweetheart. You can imagine what he puts up with sometimes. The last few weeks has had mermaid tails drying in the living room. Their almost done. Maybe 1/2 a dz. more to be on the floor and finished. Here's a pic of their drying.

I think the kids (of ALL ages) will really enjoy being mermaids and flying kites.

BB Penny ~who barely gets all the sparkle off her hands.

Be sure and check out Watty's new tutorial video on the forum.

I tried to do this w/ 2 handles and just couldn't get it back to me. I was probably pulling to hard. Last night I tired it with the single handle and WA LA.. great come back. I could reverse it on about 10 ft. of line and catch it. I wasn't putting the turn in.

The kite has to be laying flat for the pulled fade to work. the secret for me ws pulling back on the top handles.

Can you believe it's almost the middle of February already? The days are geting longer and we'll be outdoors flying soon. It's time to put events on the calendar. I'll do that as soon as I take care of some other business.

We have a few new events and some of the old on the west coast. Now these events are shows, not competions. We should put the dates for the comps up here too. San Ramon, CA Santa Cruz, CA Morro Bay,Ca Ellensburg.WA, Isla of Blan, Mexico, Brookings, OR.. and maybe Port of Bellingham, WA.

With competitions and IQuad events added to the calendar the kite season should be a fun filled one.

Lisa Willoughby and Paul DeBakker (sp's) are coming to Lincoln City's indoor kite festival in March. Lisa is busy practicing Indoor Rev, and dual.. kick boxing, spinning. jogging. lol All I've got is determination and a blister on my heel from the treadmill. :clap;

I can't wait to see what Lisa's determination will bring.

Well lunch is over. I've joined facebook. Maybe I'll see you on there.

BB Penny ~ who's ready to fly.

:D Gosh, I'm having so much fun indoor flying. I get up early to head to the gym before work and fly every morning as I'm preparing for an indoor event at Lincoln City. It's great!

I decided for the month of Feb. and March to pracitice with one style of Rev. for a whole week, and then switch to another. This way I didn't have to carry so much gear, put up several kites and take down to get ready for work in the short time that I had. I had to quit by 7 am. :clover:

So I praticed with a Revoultuion 1.5. A necessicty for some of my routines. Red/white/Blue tricky, a little heavy, but a wonderful indoor flying kite.

Next I practiced with an Indoor Rev. (I can't wait to get a few years more of that kite under my belt) This kite certainly makes it easy to fly. It does things the 1.5 can't do, but still isn't as versatile to me as the 1.5.

Then I practiced on long lines with the Indoor on my one -handed handles. Awwww I love it! So free, and different. Of course a viewer won't realize the difficulty of flying this kite.

I practiced a stack of Indoor Rev's. Beautiful! No work at all. In fact, what I use to consider exercise can harldy be called so anymore. It's so easy you can sit down and fly them. I laugh out loud as I practice laying down to fly them. Watching video later, you can see how easy it is, how little work it takes. I hardly have to move at all.

Ladies are coming in from their arobics class to see it more and more. :clap; I let a lady try the stack indoor. She did so good her first time! But she made it obvious it's still exercise even though it doesn't appear to be. Making the difficult look easy is what my goals have been about.

I've had to put off my two Rev's at one time till after basketball season. An hour is simply not enough time for all the untangling it takes for that practice! :) Patience.. means wait nicely. I can't wait to get back to it!

I may not be the best, but I could almost bet money nobody else is having as much fun or personal satisfaction as I am.. :P

Oh, and then I got bronchitis... and I've been sick, sick in bed for the last 8 days and hopefully will be back on the road to recovery in the next day or two. I have so much to do! :P Darn Doctors who don't want to give out antibiotics for 7-10 days! But that's an ugly story..let s stick with flying.

I missed a whole week of flying! I was going to try a week of practice on a stack of indoor kites with my one-handed handles. I can't wait!!

Soon~ I know I'll be flying again soon!! B):D

Hopefully everyone is flying enough to make up for my lack of air time. Let me know. B)

Best Breezes,

Penny Lingenfelter

Indoor/Outdoor Kiteflyer

Revolution and Laser Pro Gold~Flying like I mean it.

Hi Renny,

I just started flying my Indoor at the athletic club. The room is 40'X40' with 20' ceilings. Today was my first go at it and I am sure there are no flies left in that room. I can do a 360 in forward flight about every time I try and a 360 in reverse flight about 30% of the time. My first question is what is the proper hand positions for these moves. I sometimes wind up with a hand over my head. Is this normal? Also when doing a 360 in forward flight and the kite starts to drift close to the floor I have the top wing pulled in. Do I need to let the top wing out before I pop the kit? I failed most of the time recovering the kite at this point. I figure this is a good point to start my learning curve. Today was just like fun only different crazy:) I am looking forward at getting good at flying the indoor Rev.

John Stefan

RescueRev