KiteLife Forum

Indoor Flying Practice

Penny Lingenfelter

Hi John, Sounds like you have the desire so your about 50 % there.

If I understand you correctly, you are doing a 360 on tip, leading edge facing 3 or 9:00. While you are walking away, your top handle is pulling back more then the your bottom wing, which will tilt the top kite wing towards you- giving it lift.

I'm not sure without running it though to double check, but I think it's better to try to take a step back, so you have someplace to pull back for more lift when ever you can, rather then pushing the wing forward so you have a place to pull. Oushing the handle/wing tip foreard can lead to the kite coming down and being heavier. When you go to change direction, take 3 steps in the other direction. It will tighten your lines for the turn and create lift, so it's light and easy.

If the kite is going to slow, feels a little to heavy, give it a little more power. Try more forward with the bottom of the handles and try physically powering it around.

I'll look forward to seeing you fly.

BB Penny ~ Who's ready to fly.

Hi John, Sounds like you have the desire so your about 50 % there.

If I understand you correctly, you are doing a 360 on tip, leading edge facing 3 or 9:00. While you are walking away, your top handle is pulling back more then the your bottom wing, which will tilt the top kite wing towards you- giving it lift.

I'm not sure without running it though to double check, but I think it's better to try to take a step back, so you have someplace to pull back for more lift when ever you can, rather then pushing the wing forward so you have a place to pull. Oushing the handle/wing tip foreard can lead to the kite coming down and being heavier. When you go to change direction, take 3 steps in the other direction. It will tighten your lines for the turn and create lift, so it's light and easy.

If the kite is going to slow, feels a little to heavy, give it a little more power. Try more forward with the bottom of the handles and try physically powering it around.

I'll look forward to seeing you fly.

BB Penny ~ Who's ready to fly.

Hi Penny,

Sorry about not typing your name correctly on the last reply. I will try what you said tomorrow and will probably call for more help. JB also suggested to let out my top lines to the last knot on the top leaders so I will be trying that also. I have been using the inner most knot to the handles. Thank you for the help.

RescueRev

JB also suggested to let out my top lines to the last knot on the top leaders so I will be trying that also. I have been using the inner most knot to the handles. Thank you for the help.

RescueRev

Yes, when I set up my indoor revs, I have the break lines pulled back one more knot than I do outdoors (I use the same handles for every kite I own.)

I actually use *extra* leaders on the top lines, so not only am I flying on the last knot, but I've lengthened my top lines by an additional 6"-8". ;)

I use short leaders inside and longer outside. And by leaders I mean a slide knot, not knots every 1/2 inch. BB Penny ~Who knows it's whatever it takes.

Hi All,

I just completed an order for custom B-Series colors on an Indoor Rev. :P:P

I do fly a standard and a b-series vented but have never flown indoors. :rolleyes:

I will be flying at a newer elementary school gym with 25 ft ceilings :confused!: I was wondering about the length of lines as I will be making them myself :blink: I have heard from 6ft to 15 ft but was wondering what length would be the best to begin. I was going to use 50# Laser Pro so do I need to do the sleeving as I do with all my out door lines?

Thanks for any advice ;):clap2:

Hi, I seldom use 50 lb lines. I prefer heavier, but I"m pretty hard on that kite.

I don't sleeve indoor. I've busted 50 lb lines and it wasn't by the sleeving, so I'm not concerned with the fear of it breaking there.

Somewhere close to 10 to 12 ft. would probably be the easiest. That's about the length between faster shorter lines and slower longer lines. 12 ft. (not to say that you can't control the speed on any length)

Now, you will have people who think that 25 ft. is short, so it sure is going to be personal choice.

Enjoy, Next year you will be gving us advice and sharing new tricks.

BB Penny ~ who hasn't even had her coffee.

Hi, I seldom use 50 lb lines. I prefer heavier, but I"m pretty hard on that kite.

I don't sleeve indoor. I've busted 50 lb lines and it wasn't by the sleeving, so I'm not concerned with the fear of it breaking there.

Somewhere close to 10 to 12 ft. would probably be the easiest. That's about the length between faster shorter lines and slower longer lines. 12 ft. (not to say that you can't control the speed on any length)

Now, you will have people who think that 25 ft. is short, so it sure is going to be personal choice.

Enjoy, Next year you will be gving us advice and sharing new tricks.

BB Penny ~ who hasn't even had her coffee.

Hi Penny,

I used the advice you and JB gave me for flying my indoor Rev in the 40'X40'X20' room at the local athletic club. By letting the top lines out as far as possible I could feel the pressure on the kite much better. The kite also flew much slower and I liked that a lot. Buy being able to feel the kite much better and taking a step or two backwards as you suggested when starting a bicycle turn worked great. Now I have to learn is to slow down and take my time. I over corrected on just about all the bicycle turns I tried. Meaning I over rotated the kite to the point where when I transition back to forward flight I was mostly flying towards the floor. Always a challenge and that is what I love about the Revs. Thank you again for your help. I have plenty to practice on before I move on to other things and will probably need more help when I do.

RescueRev

Well, only abut 5 more weeks until the Lincoln City Indoor event. I guess it's time to pester the Parks for their idea and music. it's always such a thrill to get their email with this information.

I've been practicing and using the treadmill despite a darn blister on my heel.

Nothing special, because I can't get into the basket ball court as much as I’d like right now. At least one difficult move from last year is now a piece of cake.

You can see on the Tipsy Gypsy video that I attempted it and didn't do as well as I would like.

It's the 360 slide and roll around me. Starting the kite inverted, slide it to the right, then 4 -180's behind me, wing tip turns. Back into the slide and do it again.. and again. So it's a slide and wing tip rolls.

I could do the first one fine, but I'd loose it on the 2nd one. The secret is to make sure I didn't start the 2nd move until the kite was directly in front of me. It's much better now.

My mermaid costumes are almost all complete. I made myself a new one out of sparkly mermaid looking material. Now I have to fix the kite because I can't out sparkle my kite.

But first a little winter vacation at Isla Blanca, Mexico... though I hope to not have much rest.

Charles and Dorothy Stewart from the East coast are putting up a kite festival and have invited the city and the nearby orphanage to come and check it out. I can't wait. I love flying for a good cause.

It will be at Isla Blanca, close to Can Cun. Feb 28 –March 1st. If you are in the area, please stop by.

What, you think it couldn't happen? I've been in Columbia, S.America and ran into people I met in Long Beach, WA.

I've been to many far away beaches and met people from my home town. Geezer was in Argentina and ran into Mario from Canada. It happens! So if you are in the area, or have friends visiting, please send them our way to say hello and fly a kite or two.

I'll attach a picture here and try to post on the calendar as well.

Oh, I've joined facebook. what a great way to see what othe people are doing in their lives without getting to overwelmed. All sorts of kitefliers and old friends. If you can, join facebook, and say hello.

Have a great week.

BB Penny ~ still flying Revs like she means it.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. It's good to be back in here, (but don't tell Steve I'm here at 3 AM) I've been busy, sick and sicker.

Mexico was marvelous. Hopefully you'll be able to read more about it. Then I returned to the Flu, the sinus's and a week in the hospital. No!, none of it was from Mexico and even though Steve got the flu, I did not.

Lincoln City is next week, so I got out of the hospital just in time. I can't find my list of who's coming yet, but we'll get it on here. I'm so excited. We have somewhere between 3 and 5 teenagers flying in the show. I wish I had the words to explain how I feel about the kids getting into the indoor flying. Yeah! Woo hoo! Yippee! RAh Rah!

The show is titled "Mystic Canyon"and it sounds like the Parks have outdone themselves. I'll try to add more about it, but for now I better try to get back to sleep.

After it's all said and done, laying my head on my husbands lap for a nap when I came home from the hospital is even better then kites.

BB Penny ~ Who hopes everyone is doing well.

I hope that Lee dosen't mind me posting this.

Here is info for our indoor show. See you there!

BB Penny ~who's been looking for shoes for it.

“MYSTIC CANYON”

explore…experience…enliven – the circle that is our life

Hey Everyone! I know it’s getting close to the exciting events surrounding the Lincoln City Indoor Kite Festival. We are thrilled to have so many participants for the featured show, “Mystic Canyon, explore…experience…enliven – the circle that is our life”. Our company has prepared a backdrop curtain, stretch fabric decorations, specialty props, oversize suspended dreamcatchers and custom costumes. The event will include lots of cutting edge kite flying solos and group numbers as well as several amazing aerial dance numbers. We are bringing with us one of Aerial Experience Productions featured artists, Kinsley Johnson, who will join my wife, Debbie in performing several aerial dance numbers. Many of the group assignments and short flying interludes will be arranged onsite, but you should all now have music for your featured pieces which will combine to tell an inspiring story about the circle of life…many tribes, but one circle…many differences, but one circle…many pursuits, but one circle. In this show, you will offer the audience an opportunity to explore differences through creative expression and to experience emotion through heartfelt presentation, but most of all, you will enliven their hearts as you take them on a journey through Mystic Canyon. Inspired by Native American Indian tales and culture, “Mystic Canyon” is meant to call to mind our shared journey that is life.

Costuming is earth toned browns, greens and tans. Ladies will be provided dresses and layered shirts, but you should plan to bring leggings and tight fitting, long sleeve undershirts, beaded dangling earrings and moccasins or dance shoes (brown or tan) (barefoot is also a good option). Gentlemen will be provided decorative over shirts, but should plan to bring cargo pants (Walmart, loose fit, Wrangler Cargo Pants in brown, tan or black…in that order of preference), a belt, moccasins or appropriately styled and colored water shoes (barefoot is also a good option) and a long sleeve t-shirt in brown or black (this is a backup in case ours don’t fit you). Michaels Craft store sells a moccasin kit for like 15 dollars. If you have any other clothing items you think might match this color scheme please bring them along so we can consider the items; however, please remember that it is important that the cast is costumed in a similar fashion. This helps to raise the overall production value!

We will set up for the show as early as possible on Friday morning and rehearse the production as soon after that as possible. Please think carefully about your kite choices. If you can, please dig through the kite bag and try to consider picking models that reflect the earth tone color scheme and Native American Indian theme. (Good colors might be deep red, orange, amber, yellow, brown, white and copper) Where possible, it’s best to have a few choices with you. Everything is workable though. As always, we want variety…the more kite models the better.

Lee Park

Executive Producer

I will MISS ALL OF YOU!!!

I'm going to Fort Worden this year :(

First time I have missed Lincoln City......hmmmm....in a loooooooooooooong time!

Next year, Ft Worden starts on March 19th....so maybe they won't be on the same weekend again :(

Penny, thank you for your offer of a stay over Wednesday night! But I was able to pick up Wednesday night at the condo at Discovery Bay after all. :D

I'll wave as I pass Port Orchard :D

thanks again for all you do!

Have fun in LC!!

Hugs,

T

Theresa, Have a great time. We'll really miss you there. Tell everyone hello. It's been a few years since I've gone up to network. BB Penny

I will MISS ALL OF YOU!!!

I'm going to Fort Worden this year :(

First time I have missed Lincoln City......hmmmm....in a loooooooooooooong time!

Next year, Ft Worden starts on March 19th....so maybe they won't be on the same weekend again :(

Penny, thank you for your offer of a stay over Wednesday night! But I was able to pick up Wednesday night at the condo at Discovery Bay after all. :D

I'll wave as I pass Port Orchard :D

thanks again for all you do!

Have fun in LC!!

Hugs,

T

Hi all,

Arrived today at LC in late afternoon. Flew outside with Amy & Conner then dinner at Kyllos's. :D Wind at 8-10mph. Was a little cold but great to fly on the beach again. Tomorrow I think we are going to try a team fly. :( We will be in front of the Sea Gypsy and the State Park. :( See you there.

I'm packed. Except clothes and who needs clothes? BB Penny ~who remembers her husband thinks she should pack some clothes.

Yeah~Yeah! Love it. Thank you for letting us know. I'm leaving all my outdoor at home, so I'm not tempted. I'm feeling better, but can't over do it. lol See you there! BB Penny

Words don't cover the experience, do they?

In case someone missed it here is the video of Lincoln City Indoor Kite Festival produced by Aerial Experience with Lee and Debbie Park, along with Kinsley Johnson a 3rd Aerialist.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4477386325940322270

Our cast of kite fliers included Tristan Underwood, Jerry Cannon, Lisa Willoughby, Paul De Bakker, Connor and Amy Doran, David Bradley, Zach Colbert, Scott Wieder, Jeff Reed and ME..

There were so many Rev's in the show.. Yeah REV's! That I had to switch it up and fly a single handle. I hadn't practiced in a few weeks, due to an illness, still it's ok.

The whole cast flew wonderfully telling a story that Aerial Experience produced about N.W. Indians. I was the Grandmother .. the woman with all the wisdom. lol

My thirst thougth was.. they could have given me some warning. haha

Maggie Conrad helped me adust to being everyone's grandmother by saying it was the wisdom of kiteflying. I've been in it longer then most. so... I can live with that.

My windless witch routine was a lot of fun with a cute intro. I'll try to write it another day.

The video is an hour long. Video by Shannon Underwood. Thank you Shannon!!!!!

BB Penny ~who's head should be on a pillow.