KiteLife Forum

Changing kites in the field

HDguy

I was flying my standard B-series rev the other day when the wind picked up and I decided to put up my full vent. I tried to slide the vented kite in front of the standard and just swap lines but it ended up kind of a Keystone Kops routine with two kites flopping around and lines crossed etc. Luckily the field was deserted so there was no one to laugh at me, only the crows and bald eagles were present.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to do this easily or at least so I don't look like a fool? I searched for a video but did not have any luck.

Theron

When I do this, I keep both kites flat on the ground, bridle side up, LE into the wind. In this position, the kites stay put on the ground and there's no fighting the wind.

In more detail, I land inverted and stake the handles. At the kite, I'll stand downwind/behind the kite, bend over with my hands on the bridle side of the kite, pick the kite up by the leading edge, and push the LE into the wind. Now I've got the kite parallel to the ground, bridle side up, LE facing the wind. I'll set the kite down on the ground a couple feet into the wind from where it was, so there's a little slack in the lines. The kite I want to switch to gets placed in the same orientation, just downwind of the kite that's still attached to the lines. Usually I'll put it so the LE of the second kite is just underneath the bottom wingtips of the first. Now swap the lines over one at a time. If a line won't reach, move both kites upwind a little so the line does reach. Once done, slide out the first kite from under the lines and stand the second one up, inverted, ready to fly. The only part to be careful of is when sliding the first kite out not to snag a line. Hope that helps.

• Like 6

My method is slightly different. I land inverted and stake the handles. Take the kite you're going to put on with you out to the lines and put it behind the one coming off. Take one sides bottom (now top) line off. Go to the other side and take both lines off, starting with the top line. Let the kite lay flat and take that last line off and gently toss the kite to the rear of the other. Hook up the last line you took off, go to the other side and put both on, starting with the LE line, then go back and put on the last brake line. Make sure of any wing wraps, etc, and set it to go inverted.

Reason I go in this pattern is that if you take off both lines on the same side at once to start, the kite can still twist around. With both brake lines off it won't. Make sure to undo the lines and place them in a careful order, so when you hook back up, everything is still untwisted and open. Just my way YMMV.

PS: I like Joanna's method!

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies. Both methods appear to be better than the way I did it. I only have about 20 hours of flying experience with the rev and the other day was the first time I tried changing kites on the field.

• Like 1

Definitely inverted and walk out with the replacement kite. I change brake lines last.

The absolute best way: setup two kites at a time with two sets of lines. You will invariably encounter changing winds and it's easier to just put one down and grab the other. That will come as you fill out your bag.

Definitely inverted and walk out with the replacement kite. I change brake lines last.

The absolute best way: setup two kites at a time with two sets of lines. You will invariably encounter changing winds and it's easier to just put one down and grab the other. That will come as you fill out your bag.

I too like to set up multiple kites. I have additionally learned that it is a good idea to stake the parked kite at or near the bridle. My inland conditions have variable wind directions. The wind can change directions, roll your kite out of it's inverted position & you suddenly have a kite in the air. Then the handles pull off the stake & going dangling off with the kite. It can get a bit exciting to say the least, especially with the larger wings. I like to fly all types of kites & sometimes have three or four set up. Buffeting wind can slowly move a stack of kites out of a laid back position & into a launch as well. I now stake dual line kites into the wind nose down. It just takes a few moments to pull the stake & put the kite in your preferred launch position. You can imagine what fun I had learning these tips.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I only have one set of handles for my rev so currently I have to swap kites. I often have a dual line kite set up also. The field where I fly can get busy especially on weekends. It is in a State park with old gun emplacements, a lighthouse plus a really nice beach. The field is large and the wind usually fairly steady. There can be lot of people walking around and it is amazing how unobservant they can be. I've had people walk into my lines even after I have told them "watch the lines." On days when our kite club has the monthly fun fly there can be 15 to 20 kites in the air and on the ground, and thats not counting the single line kites at the other end of the field, so you have to share space. Anyway I enjoy reading this forum and will keep on improving my flying. I am lucky to have a couple of excellent rev flyers who help me with flying so I am progressing fairly quickly.

• Like 4

I have done it different ways. Always land inverted. From here on my methods changes a bit depending on weather and mood.

Most often, I slide the replacement in between the lines, shifted a bit to the side, such that both will stand. Then I move the top (brake) lines over, and the old kite will drop to the ground behind the new one. Then the lower / front lines. Then move the kite back to get tension on the lines again.

Also been putting the 2 kites up next to each other, but it is slower as you have to go back and forth.

Since I have multiple line sets (and only one good set of handles + one acceptable pair), I also consider setting up 2 linesets, and switching handles. But maybe it takes longer to handle 2 linesets (setup and take down).

Yesterday I had the bad weather, 5 kts to 22 kts. When I couldn't keep the vented flying (it is on 2-wrap frame), I put on the full sail, and it was blowing too much and howling in the lines. Switched kite, and wind dropped again. Longest I got was 10 minutes on the vented before going home. Also had to adjust the leaders, as the additional brake I added at high wind last time was too much in this wind, at time limiting the kite to no more than 45 degrees above ground. When the wind blew, it was nice though.

here is from my video yesterday, changing kites. Takes less than 2 minutes to transferline, but this is the first time with my small pigtails on the sleeves, so just had to figure that aout as well.

I do not break down the replaced kite before going home. Keep it with my other stuff, ready to replace again if needed.