KiteLife Forum

B-Series Mid-Vent vs Vented?

rfcaddell

Don't pull out the LE when packing. I guess the wear happens mostly when putting the spars in. You could probably sand the sharp edge a bit on the outermost 1mm or so.

Reason I did not use P90 in center, but stuck to the T2 2-wrap was that I have not yet glued ferules into my extra spars. I have them as spares, but hasn't glued them in yet.

Would it be better to use shorter ferules in the P90 to get more flexibility ? Or is that too risky ?

And in reference to sanding the edge on the tubes, wouldn't it be good for tear and wear of the pocket to sand off the corner of the ferule ? Should minimize pocket wear in the center ?

I noticed when putting in the leading edge rods today, the material that houses the rod was starting to fray a little on both ends. I took a lighter and melted the edge, that seamed to fix it. Is this normal and what do you guys do to prevent this.

Ron

Common occurrence, the B Pros and NYM have the end pocket folded over to counter this. Could put some sail tape on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melting the fray is commonly done. Just be sure to keep all the little bits well away from any flames. I use a steel rod to keep the pocket open while I melt the fray. Another trick is to use a soldering iron, no open flame, better control.

Your goal is to create a hot cut edge of material. Hot cutting seals itself against fraying, most times, but can need further attention down the road! The melting does that well. The iron just eliminates any flames that could burn sail, bungee, bridle, etc.

I was thinking of using a torch heat up an old butter knife and use the flat side of the Butterknife to melt the edge of the material. If I could find a soldering iron with the wide tip that would work also

Ron

Match or lighter works - just be careful of the flame is all! Just be sure all the little bits are carefully out of the way and you use small motions to do it. Might need several passes, but just like painting, several light coats are better than one heavy coat! Having the rod in place, keeps the pocket open.

At times the wind was so weak, that pulling a handle just made the kite want to go flat and float to the ground. Difficult to save even when moving backwards.

If I understand "going flat" correctly, this sounds like a symptom of not having your top lines let out enough - if the top is too short, it would pull the leading edge forward (toward the pilot) and out of the air. Also, pulling "a [single] handle" would pull the kite off wind, causing a similar issue in a different direction.

The trick is to get the soldering tip or the flame very close, but not touching the fabric.

Also, use the lower BLUE part of the flame, not the upper yellow or orange. ;)

• 2 months later...