KiteLife Forum

Next Kite After Mirage/Hypnotist

rsoko

I have a Mirage (Now Hypnotist) that I have been flying for the almost the past 10 years and I really like it and have beaten it up practicing freestyle tricks, but I am looking for a new "expert level" kite. I have a 4D and is great for low to no winds, but I want a new kite for the 5-30 mph winds. Needing a durable kite for tricks that can do most freestyle tricks that are thrown at it. I also don't mind spending a decent amount of money to get a great kite that will last. Any suggestions on what to get next?

Oh, so many options... but there really is no one kite with the wind range you describe. 5-15mph for dual line kites, anything above 15mph is Rev territory for me. I used to fly the QPro VV in winds up to 30mph, but the fun level drops off at about 20mph.

Okay, 5-15 mph sounds like most winds I see. I have flown my Mirage in pretty high winds (up to 50 mph) and you are right. The fun did stop after about 25-30 mph. I have been looking at the QPro, Kymera and Widow Maker, but not sure if there is something else to look at new or used....

With your adjusted wind range (5-15) I would really recommend the Widow Maker. Top class hand made kite, and great for learning tricks. At a lower price point, the Kymera would be a great choice. I own 4 QPs and really like flying them I think they would be a great choice for Precision or ballet competition, but for all out freestyle, you might want something that is more accomodating in the pitch department. Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

The Kymera is a little easier to trick than the Widow Maker. The Widow Maker is a little easier to trick than the QPro. I would say the build quality of the QPro and Widow Maker is pretty close. For a budget alternative, the Kymera is well built for it's price. I would be happy with any one of the three, as a matter of fact, I have all three !

The Kymera is a little easier to trick than the Widow Maker. The Widow Maker is a little easier to trick than the QPro. I would say the build quality of the QPro and Widow Maker is pretty close. For a budget alternative, the Kymera is well built for it's price. I would be happy with any one of the three, as a matter of fact, I have all three !

Is there any difference in durability of the three? Thanks again for the help! I have been doing a lot of research and will buy soon...

Rob's post pretty much says it all in terms of build quality. He's right about the difficulty scale too. To add to that, the QP isn't as good at roll ups and pitch based moves as many other modern kites. Since many modern tricks have gone in this direction, its a consideration. On that note, some other options are the Nirvana, Deep Space, and anything by Lam Hoac of Sky Sport design.

The QPro & WidowMaker are pretty tough kites. I would say the Kymera is tough, but I took mine out of the bag to fly it recently, and found it broken. I don't know how that happened, it must have gotten stepped on while in the bag. Otherwise, I thought the build was durable, at least I never broke it while flying. Another kite to consider is the Solus, made by Skyburner, just like the WidowMaker. The Solus is geared more towards tricking, while the WidowMaker is more of an all-around kite. The WM is much more forgiving to less-than-perfect inputs...

For my duals I use #90 for Standards, #50 for UL/SUL's and #150 for when I get a Vented. My most common long length is 100 feet, 80 for smaller areas. I use 20, 30 and 50 footers for practicing or street.

Btw, the Solus is a nice looking bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a certain brand/type of line you go with? (Sorry for all the questions, just haven't ordered kite stuff in a long time and not sure what changes have happened) I am used to Spectra... not sure if things have changed.

Spectra is the only choice of material. Comes as either LPG (Laser Pro Gold) or Shanti (Skybond or Speed), all work well for dualies!

Thanks! Just placed an order.

So which one did you go with

I bought a Solus and I am really excited to get it up in the air. (I also went with LPG #90 100ft.)

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Congrats on the Solus... I really like mine. You will want to get some 150# line for the Solus, once the wind goes above 10mph, you'll need it. I broke 90# Skybond flying the Solus, it's a big kite and can pull. But, between 5 and 10mph is where the kite really shines, the 90# will be fine for that !

• Like 1

Congrats on the Solus... I really like mine. You will want to get some 150# line for the Solus, once the wind goes above 10mph, you'll need it. I broke 90# Skybond flying the Solus, it's a big kite and can pull. But, between 5 and 10mph is where the kite really shines, the 90# will be fine for that !

I have some 180# 80ft line with my Mirage and is in decent shape. Hopefully that might work...

• Like 1

Just found out that they are having stock issues (sewing sail issues according to the online kite shop) with the Solus and could be a month or two out... maybe. Just have to wait I guess.

The mirage line should be alright. (It is spectrum from Prism)

Yes, the Mirage line will work fine. Don't hesitate to use it if the wind is coming close to double digits, or gusty. My Solus broke the Skybond 90# fairly easily, and I only fly on 90# lines in the lightest winds, now. If your Prism lines bind up with multiple wraps in them, you might consider LPG or Skybond. Binding isn't a bad thing, but it annoys some people. Me, I kinda like a little bind, it reminds me to unwind the lines, and also helps to temper some anxious inputs.

I also have a Solus UL 'in-the-works'. I've waited up to 6 months for some of the kites I've ordered in the past (not from Skyburner)... it really is just that much sweeter when they finally do arrive.

• Like 1

The QPro & WidowMaker are pretty tough kites. I would say the Kymera is tough, but I took mine out of the bag to fly it recently, and found it broken. I don't know how that happened, it must have gotten stepped on while in the bag. Otherwise, I thought the build was durable, at least I never broke it while flying. Another kite to consider is the Solus, made by Skyburner, just like the WidowMaker. The Solus is geared more towards tricking, while the WidowMaker is more of an all-around kite. The WM is much more forgiving to less-than-perfect inputs...

Found out what happened to the Kymera... it turned out to be nothing more than a slipped ferrule. I got it out from inside the tube it was hiding in, glued it in place, and it's as good as new. Can't wait to fly it again, it's been months since I found the problem, and it was just sitting on the repair pile. Gotta love an easy fix !

• Like 4

Yes, the Mirage line will work fine. Don't hesitate to use it if the wind is coming close to double digits, or gusty. My Solus broke the Skybond 90# fairly easily, and I only fly on 90# lines in the lightest winds, now. If your Prism lines bind up with multiple wraps in them, you might consider LPG or Skybond. Binding isn't a bad thing, but it annoys some people. Me, I kinda like a little bind, it reminds me to unwind the lines, and also helps to temper some anxious inputs.

I also have a Solus UL 'in-the-works'. I've waited up to 6 months for some of the kites I've ordered in the past (not from Skyburner)... it really is just that much sweeter when they finally do arrive.

I also like a reminder to unwrap when it binds. Good to know that waiting for a kite is not uncommon. Sounds like it is worth the wait!