KiteLife Forum

Need to rant?

jeepinjeepin

A rant with a happy ending:

On Friday I went out to fly at my regular field. After wrapping the lines on the tip, I came to unwrap only to discover I punched a 1mm hole in my ATM (that's big!) and worse, I noticed that all of a sudden the trailing edge on both sides was scorched and the leech line was showing :(

I folded the ATM, and since the wind was already low, I took out my Seven UL. 5 minutes later, trying to do a two point landing, I crashed it into the side of my Jeep. :blue_mad: Broke a lower LE spar and the center T!!! :ani_wallbash:

The Seven was eventually fixable because I had all the parts, but sewing up the trailing edge of my ATM?? It was way over my head. Asking for advice over at GWTW, one of the members connected me with two SLK kite builders, here in Israel, that live 20 minutes from me, which I never knew about. Ended up having a fun visit at their house, with lots of great stories, with the nicest couple you could ever imagine. I never spoke face to face with any other kite flyer before, so this was a great experience, and they also promised to fix my kite. :ani_yahoo:

So all's well that ends well, but actually, for me it's a beginning of being a part of a local kite community (though I'm still apparently the only stunt kite flyer in the country at the moment :cat_shy: )

Here's one of their kites, Eli and Shula Shavit, that appeared on AKA Kiting magazine recently, all different colors are different panels that were sewn together(!!!):

Well you couldn't ask for a better result to an unfortunate accident. That kite is gorgeous. My wife and inlaws are quilters and they pointed out all of the different patterns for me. One of the few times she's taken an interest in kites.

• Like 1

I remember seeing your post on GWTW and how bad the edges was, with the leech lines. I saw another post suggesting a local person for possible repair. WOW! Sounds like you was guided to the right person!

PS.. I hope it wasn't a Jeep "Wrangler" you crashed Seven UL into! But something tells me it was.

I'm happy you hooked up! We're all happy you hooked up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had a similar experience with an eBay seller. Send the stuff back and get a refund. Open a case on eBay if they don't want to cooperate. Item "not as described" if there was no mention of the damage. eBay will pretty much make sure that you are refunded.

Had a similar experience with an eBay seller. Send the stuff back and get a refund. Open a case on eBay if they don't want to cooperate. Item "not as described" if there was no mention of the damage. eBay will pretty much make sure that you are refunded.

I have an open case. It was for a pair of Prism Snapshot 2.5's. Supposedly, one was new and the other was used. Well, one had sand in it, but no damage found so far, and the other had a huge rip. I got them to send a replacement, which turned out to be a 1.9, instead of another 2.5. That would have been cool if it didn't have several busted baffles and a split seam... Waiting to hear back.

• Like 1

Very sorry..... won't happen again........sounds like a David Allen Coe song (I think this part was added by Joespickles)

It can't be a country song. There's nothing about momma, gettin' drunk, pickup trucks, trains, or prison.

Now, for all those (youngsters) out there, that don't have a clue what all that was about - "here's the skinny"

Actually, that "perfect" Country and Western song wasn't written by David Allen Coe, only sung by David. If you'll remember, and as is acknowledged in the song, David's friend, "Steve Goodman", wrote the song, and Steve indeed, thought that he had written the perfect Country and Western song, until he was promptly informed by David, that NO, he had NOT written the perfect Country and Western song, because he hadn't said anything about "momma, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or gettin' drunk". So, Steve sat down and wrote another verse to the song, including the aforementioned omitted items. Once complete, then and only then, did David admit that his friend, had indeed written, "the perfect Country and Western song", and he felt obliged to include it on his album, "Once Upon a Rhyme".

And all together now...........

"I was drunk, the day my mom, got out of prison

And I went, to pick'er up, in the rain

But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck

She got runned over by a damned ol' train"

And so goes the perfect Country and Western song...............(just in case anybody cared)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and my big rant - "Walking a quarter mile, up onto a big sand dune, on a blazing hot day in July, carefully opening and staking out out a brand new set of quad lines, carefully walking them out and attaching them to my Rev, then coming back back to the stake, and realizing that there was a big empty place, in my back pocket..........NO HANDLES :ani_wallbash: "

Hey, what can I say, it happened a long time ago, and it hasn't happened again. One of those occurrences with a short learning curve !

• Like 1

Country songs? Since you mention it here's a few lines from one of my favorites.

Now Daddy ran the whiskey in a big block Dodge
Bought it at an auction at the mason's lodge
Johnson County sheriff painted on the side
Just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside
Well him and my uncle tore that engine down

I still remember that rumblin' sound

Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

(not a big block Dodge but one of Henry's is still pretty good)

SHBKF

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my eBay rant is settled. The seller gave me a partial refund which got the single good kite down to an acceptable cost and Prism is going to replace the other 2 torn kites for a smallish fee.

The good news for you guys: there will very likely be a Prism Snapshot 2.5 and 1.9 up for sale here soon.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Complete rant list:

11 Letters   --   Conflagrant   Corroborant   Equilibrant   Expectorant   Protuberant   Refrigerant   Remonstrant   Reverberant

10 Letters   --    Accelerant   Adulterant   Denaturant   Intolerant   Ministrant   Nonmigrant   Registrant   Restaurant   Vociferant

9 Letters   --    Cauterant   Celebrant   Cormorant   Declarant   Deodorant   Exuberant   Fulgurant   Immigrant   Integrant   Itinerant   Nurturant   Obscurant   Penetrant   Reentrant   Susurrant

8 Letters   --   Aberrant   Alterant   Aspirant   Colorant   Emigrant   Figurant   Flagrant   Fragrant   Ignorant   Inerrant   Insurant   Quadrant   Retirant   Roborant   Saturant   Sonorant   Tolerant 

7 Letters   --    Courant   Currant   Entrant   Hydrant   Intrant   Iterant   Migrant   Odorant   Operant   Regrant   Spirant   Titrant   Vagrant   Vibrant   Warrant

6 Letters   --   Arrant   Errant   Jurant   Tyrant

5 Letters   --    Brant   Grant

4 Letters   --    Rant

Please include at least one with your sarcastic dissertation. For instance: The conflagrant nature of today's beach winds made me long for cold beer in the shade.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...