KiteLife Forum

Gomberg Super Sled?

Dave362

Go get a mountain climbing pulley, that opens and closes. Snap it onto the line, then attach some kind of an handle (rope and carabiner) to the pulley., and walk like heck towards the kite. Once you get the kite to the ground, disconnect, roll up the kite, and go back to the anchor. Now you can wind up the line without any tension............"piece of cake".

Here is the pulley http://www.silvertipmountaincenter.com/silvertipmountaincenter_i4775349.html?catId=126216

post-4670-0-66987900-1436574807_thumb.jp

These are great too, for anchoring, and walking down !

http://www.silvertipmountaincenter.com/silvertipmountaincenter_i9798717.html?catId=126216

post-4670-0-66146200-1436574845_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Good stuff, Nick. There's a vid of a guy trying to get a power sled 81 down. Its funny. He has the straps to either a 'biner or pulley, hard to see, but before he could get it down it took four guys total to hold the line and walk toward the kite. Makes me think two things: don't fly big kites in too much wind, and I'm really glad I'm just interested in Gomberg super sled :prop:

I saw the video. Appears that they are using just a biner with a nylon strap. That will work, but trust me, that biner can get really hot. I've had them to get hot enough, that I was afraid that if I stopped, it just might melt the line. Those guys in the video should have definitely used a good heavy duty pulley. Makes life much simpler.........

I tell you, that's a lot of kite, and recommends 500 lb line. No wonder there is a "Liability Release Required to Purchase".

More kite than I want to mess with, for sure !

Pulleys would be nice to bring down the big sleds, but in reality, most big sleds will also have laundry connected to the line with biners, and I mean a bunch of 100' tails and other fun things connected from top to bottom each on its own biner. Captain Hook would have an easier time get the kite down because his hook can jump over the biners where a pulley can't. Once the kite is down disconnect it and pack it up, then disconnect the laundry and pack it up, finally pull up anchor and spool in the line. Maybe an idler pulley connected to a handle that you can reposition around each laundry connector. I'd go hand over hand before chancing having to stop with a hot biner on a strap.

If you had 2 people, one with a pulley and the other with a biner, you could run the pulley up to the first piece of laundry, transfer the pulley to the other side of the laundry, and work towards the next piece of laundry while the person with the biner puts the first piece of laundry away.

• Like 1

If you had 2 people, one with a pulley and the other with a biner, you could run the pulley up to the first piece of laundry, transfer the pulley to the other side of the laundry, and work towards the next piece of laundry while the person with the biner puts the first piece of laundry away.

Good Plan ! I like it when a good plan comes together............ :ani_victory:

I saw a nice selection of Pemier power sled 36's today. really nice sail patterns. Seems about the same size as the Gomberg. I think I'm going to go for the '36.

There are a few sleds available in this size class. They all look like good kites. I think it just comes down to which one looks best to you.

When taking down my lifters, I undo the biners and drop the laundry in place to pack up on my way back. I carry the sled bag and the stuff sack for the laundry at the same time. Don't have a problem losing stuff because it's along the line.

• Like 1

I flew my skyform 30 for a couple hours yesterday. Nice wind, around 8 to 10. I walked it down with a 'biner effortlessly. I think i am going to buy a pulley for bigger wind days. Truth is, I think I just want more single line gear that clinks and clanks. In the words of Hemingway, " he felt very professional with his equipment."

• Like 1

So would this Super Sled be a good choice for KAP with a +/- 5 lb camera package to carry? What would be the useful wind range for the rig? Would it need to be anchored or would the pull be manageable to walk around with?

Thinking about beginning KAP and needing some information with some experience behind it.

Thanks

Kelly

I have a Premier Jumbo Power Sled 36 I may be parting with, it's a "Red Storm" I've only seen one in bing images other that the one I have. It can play tricks on the ol' eyeballs.

If yours looks like this one, send me a PM with a price, because I would be interested.

post-7975-0-77904400-1436823739_thumb.jp

I ended up getting the Premier Power Sled 36. Flew it all day on 300 lb line. Great flying kite. winds started off light, around 7, and ended up in the upper teens. I kept pulling on the line, testing the pull. it was fine. When i walked it down I put gloves on and used a 'biner. Absolutely no problem. I got a 75 ft tail because I don't like the drogue. Very stable with either. I'm very happy with the kite and think it would make a great KAP platform

post-8492-0-14185800-1436832199_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Here it is next to my Skyform 30. The Skyform is lifting a 12 ft spin sock. Interestingly, the Skyform pulled harder until the wind really came up. Either kite would be fine to fly out of hand in most conditions. i had everything anchored solidly today.

post-8492-0-15728700-1436833031_thumb.jp

I think with wind knowledge. Kite knowledge. And all that comes with it. You can use any kite for KAP.

It is about finding what suits what you fly. When I started....I used a WalaXL with a heavy rig. It worked, although not ideal.

Matching your weight rig with the proper kite and wind range....and personal preference. Remember , everyone is different. One will say this kite blows...the next will love it. Why? Someone thought about what they were doing.

Sleds or foils also tend to yield different line angles for Kap than framed kites.

• Like 1

Sleds or foils also tend to yield different line angles for Kap than framed kites.

That's something I hadn't thought of... Please explain a little more.

My little pocket parafoil flies quite high overhead but my bullet is at a much lower angle. For straight down overhead shots, the higher angle would be more useful.

Interested to hear more pros and cons of different kites for lifting KAP.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Kites that fly almost directly overhead have the bridle adjusted to do that, but then you give up some lifting ability. It's a compromise between angle of attack and the lift that the airfoil can generate, so a small-ish kite that flies overhead cannot carry the same maximum payload that it can if the bridle is adjusted to fly at a greater angle of attack (lower and further out). Use a larger kite and adjust the bridle by shortening the top lines (1/4 to 1/2 inch?), depending on the type of sail. Experiment to find the best settings.

• Like 1

Most don't like fiddling with bridles all the time. I have found the a.o.a on sleds and foils lends to less height and more distance between you and the kite.

Say your target is across the river on the opposit bank. Wind is in your favor..a foil or sled may be the correct choice. If it lifts the load securely..it could ride its way across the river without massive height gain. Where a delta or Dc would fly higher and more directly over head.

This is not bad either. Maybe you want to KAP in an urban environment. ..say between 2 large buildings.

Learn your kites and what they are capable of with your equiptment and conditions available. I basically try suiting my wind speed with a favorable performing kite...and go from there.My Gopro rig is light and get great performance out of a 3 kite selection..

genki,delta,dc.

• Like 3

I really like them...quick and easy with not too much pull. Still nice to have an 81 around for the big displays, but the 36 can carrry a good bit also without so much of a fight.

Here is mine with a 4'x2,banner and the spikey ball set. May have even been an Isopod on the bottom.

It was the only thing that would lift reliably on a west wind day.post-7551-0-00142100-1437445782_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...