KiteLife Forum

Kite field desires?

jeepinjeepin

What do you look for in a kite field? What's your ideal, within reason, location? Size? Trees? Anchors? Etc?

It's a crazy pipe dream, but I might try to ask a local park to consider something in its future plan. We have lots of trees here and our wind is usually from the west or south and headed north or north east. Ideal would be 200'x600' cut into the woods with access from the SW?

I like open space in the direction the prevailing winds come from. I always try to fly as far downwind as I can as space allows. Sometimes unusual things can create good wind. There is a field here that is surrounded by apartments. But to the West, a road that runs directly toward the field and is lined with apartments on both sides creates kind of a tunnel that smooths out the wind before it hits the field. Since the preailing winds are out of the West, I've had very good winds on that field.

• Like 1

I like to fly where I can park nearby and the bathroom is within close proximity too. Next criteria of preference would be a steady dose of spectators, although these important items get transposed frequently. I prefer a crowd but in the summer sometimes it's too hot to lug all the crap for show on the monument grounds.

Due to current circumstances, I currently look for a shopping carpark with all night lighting. A shopping trolley collection point is advantageous too.

I have recently found a place that pipes the store music outside too, man that's a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Luckily my lawn is 14 acres, years ago I marked a spot in almost the middle of the lawn that is 600' in any direction from anything for the kite to land on. The bad thing is having to sit on the mower 14 hours a week. Anchors? Dog stakes work great for the smaller stuff, but earth anchors are ideal for the big stuff as they go in with my tractor and can stay there forever. My lawn is actually bigger than most kite festival areas.

• Like 2

I guess it's really up to the topography of your area. Being inland I'm lucky to have the high and middle schools with large grounds for the evening, summertime or weekend play. Since were far enough in the boonies to have them surrounded by farm fields, even better. Meeting up with local rev fliers, were lucky to have several LARGE park options to get together and fly. We usually have to work around soccer/football though. 10 acres minimum for me, but I have options.

(would drool at the thought of 14 acres. I have teenagers so it wouldn't take me any time to mow)