KiteLife Forum

Wind / sun shelter?

John Barresi

Hi all,

I'm currently shopping for a cabana type wind/sun shelter (open face more or less half dome), and wanted to check in with everyone here on what they've been using... Any real winners out there? Sadly, most of the ones I see at events start to collapse in anything over 12mph or so, hoping for something that might reliably hold up in 15-20mph.

Looking forward to your suggestions! :)

I've been looking at the Kelty Noah Tarp. It has to be more substantial and a lot lighter than an EZ-Up style shelter. It is just a sun shelter though. I've seen something similar that goes all the way to the ground before, but I don't know what it's called. Maybe someone here knows?

• Like 1

The Lightspeed product line is great! Gerry got one at Costco, I got one thru Dick's Sporting Goods. Funny, the one thru Dick's was $20 less than on Lightspeed's website! They have 3 sand pockets, stakes (extra hold or on grass) and lines (again,more for grass)! Set up and take down in under a minute - total time for both!! Look for the Laguna Beach Shelter on their (Lightspeed) site for details, then go to or order from Dick's. Sari, Katrina, Gerry and I all use them! Some have extra flooring that rolls out into a patio or folds up as a wall to the 3 sided shelter. For the Laguna thru Dick's, I paid $65.

laguna_sun_shelter.jpg

Here is a link to a similar product in their line with video:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/atJiUVysoP8?autoplay=1&rel=0

PS: sent you a PM!

• Like 1

R-Sky made (make?) a shelter that is kind of a 1/2 teepee type deal. Kind of. A central post with a strap down with the base perimeter staked. Sorry terrible description. I'll find some pics and post back.

This is the R-Sky shelter.

This is a shelter Nic at Fortuna Forms is working on.

Everything has been sourced and credited to avoid infringement...

• Like 1

The large tpee style mentioed are great...but large.

I have used the style John mentioned. The floor comes in handy. You can pull sand in for high wind stability on the floor section. But alas...those are not Rev rods in there. Don't push your luck :P

p.s. I can see if stealing the large R sky type tpee from work is possible for N.C. clinic

I think I own the Lightspeed with the patio tarp and it's down in Morehead City. If so, I'll bring it out for comparison. I have never used it for kiting. Seems like it doesn't hold a beach chair, but I really don't remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks all for the suggestions, here's what we ended up with...

Sport-Brella Umbrella, Blue

attachicon.gif81llgUKhnxL._SL1500_.jpg

It's a bit heavy, but great for anything we drive to - mainly came down to simplicity.

Must have made a good choice John. I bet I've seen a hundred of those very shelters, here on the Outer Banks, this week........

Have also seen a lot of the Light Speed's, that you were originally looking at.........

They seem to be the two most popular models, over here on the "right" coast (Outer Banks)......... :ani_victory:

• Like 1

I got the Sport-brella XL for Father's Day a few years back and it's been great. A little heavy, and no floor, but very sturdy and easy to setup on grass or sand. It's been a life saver up on Jockey's Ridge.

I do recommend two person setup if the wind is blowing hard.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, I have had the same blue sportbrella since I don't know when 2008-10 maybe and a smaller red one that's even older. I've used the blue one a lot more because its a 9 footer. I saw this and had to comment. My blue one has been to all the kite festivals in the nw for years, and it's been through living hell. Last year at the greyland festival the wind on Saturday was almost 30mph, the sound tent almost blew away. I had it set up behind the sound tent trying to get out of the wind but it was blowing so hard the wind blew around the backside and swirled behind the tent- it blew the sportbrella loose and it got inverted. I thought it was done. I got it home and all I needed to do was resew some of the loops that hold the frame to the material. I've rusted out the grommets, ripped out some of the hold downs only to resew them back, It's so faded now, it looks like an antique. I've ripped the storage bag strap off, poked holes in the bottom of the bag, each time I just pull out the trusty ole sewing machine and ttadaa, back in business. I've lost most of the sand stakes so now all the new stakes I can find are too large and won't go through the webbing, the knob stripped out that holds the extension pole, I went to lowes and bought a new knob for 3 bucks and drilled and tapped a new hole for it next to the old stripped out hole. good as new or better. Long live the Sportbrella!

• Like 1

Hi all,
I'm currently shopping for a cabana type wind/sun shelter (open face more or less half dome), and wanted to check in with everyone here on what they've been using... Any real winners out there? Sadly, most of the ones I see at events start to collapse in anything over 12mph or so, hoping for something that might reliably hold up in 15-20mph.
Looking forward to your suggestions!

I use a commercial grade beach umbrella made by Frankford. Mine has a wood pole and fiberglass ribs. I can't remember the size, I think it's 8' diameter. I use a cordless drill with an auger bit made for planting flower bulbs. Drill a 2' hole in the sand, sink the pole in it, backfill with sand and some water to pack it tight and it doesn't go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• 4 months later...

+1 on the Sportbrella. I would buy afew more longer thicker stakes like cheapo aluminum for when you use it standing up.ALSO a hose clamp and cheapo screw driver to hold the clamp in middle of post. There are six total anchor points including the wings which i used to anchor it on the Marina Green this last Saturday (90 degrees and a hot azz breeze--had touse all my zero wind and SUL kites with that hot breeze!!!