KiteLife Forum

Flying the WidowMaker... July 2015

RobB

Finally... some good wind for once. It seems like every time I show up at the beach, the wind is too high, too low, too bumpy, or the wrong direction. Not the case a few days ago. I got lucky this day, got out of work a little early and found an on-shore breeze around 3-5mph. Not only nice wind, but the mysterious disappearance of the summer crowd.... I mean, this is July, right ? Where is everybody ??? Just kidding, I didn't miss them one bit !

If you have a few minutes, Full screen, HD & enjoy... Thanks for checking it out !

• Like 7

I think uToob is blocking certain countries from seeing it, possibly a content issue (music). I have to re-produce a copy in a lower quality and upload to Vimeo... you should be able to see it from there, although it won't be true HD.

And thanks, Dave, glad you enjoyed it, I certainly enjoyed the first decent wind in a while. Didn't get to try the Taz or Slot, though. Half of the tricks in the video are just keeping the kite flying !

*update... for those trying to watch this video, but can't, I posted it to Vimeo... but their content filter caught the music, too. I swapped it out with some generic instrumental, so it's at

If you can watch the original on uToob, the quality is much better...

• Like 1

What's cool is the 540s you're doing without a dive for an entry look very Taz like and have the same effect. I stole that from you, by the way, and have been doing it all the time :matrix:

Its a very effective move, Nice goin'!

I gotta get my duals in the air again and actually do more than just fly around the sky. You guys make it look so easy. Every time I try something -- well, let's just say I could make a lot of "FAIL" videos.

I agree, there are those who make it look easy. Learning tricks is not easy. I thought I'd know how to do more than barely an axel by now, but I don't. Although, admittedly, maybe I haven't had as much time on two lines as I thought I would have by now. The darkside keeps calling me. :cat_evil: Oh, and I can cartwheel....is that a trick?

Nice flying Rob. I'm amazed by those who can fly trick after trick after trick.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the kind words... this is where I've gotten, back to my basic 'core' tricks. I gave up trying to learn new tricks a while back, and just worked on having fun and trying to make my flying look like I was doing things on purpose. With all the talk & success on the Taz Machine trick, I'll be out there trying to put that one under my belt, but probably not until the beach crowds clear out & I have a few hours to spend on an empty beach. This was just a serendipitous after-work fly, the whole session lasted maybe 1/2 hour. Not enough time, and the wrong kite to try to learn new things with !

@Dave... yes, the flat entry 540... the root of my frustration that the Taz still baffles me !

@Mark... I have plenty of 'Fail' video... maybe I should post that, too...

@Joanna... yes, the Cartwheel is the most useful trick you could learn. Without that, learning any other tricks would be miserable !

Finally watched it. Loved it. Super floaty and the combos really link nicely, great job Rob. BTW, I think the restriction on YouTube was device related, not country. I tried to watch it on my tablet first, with no luck, then watched it on my PC.

OK, about at what time is the flat entry 540?

You know, there really isn't a good example of the 'flat entry' 540 in this video... around 3:00, that one comes close. The 'flat entry' 540 is something that I've talked with Dave about in the past, and I know I've caught better examples of it in other videos. I'm sure it could be one step away from cracking the Taz or Slot Machine trick. I think it's the double input from either the right or left hand that throws me.

Thank you, John. That's what the Widow Maker is all about... a smooth, forgiving kite. It might not trick as fast as a more radical kite, but it has a way to make tricks look good...

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Dave. Light wind dual line flying is my favorite kind of flying. For some reason, I got out a standard that day, even though I should've gotten out a lighter kite. But it turned into a really nice low wind flying session. It's funny, I watch it and see lots of stuff that the timing is off, but covered by transitioning into another trick. It's like a happy accident sometimes...

I will be getting out a trickier kite the next time I'm out in good wind and working on some variety !

• Like 1

Thank you, John. That's what the Widow Maker is all about... a smooth, forgiving kite. It might not trick as fast as a more radical kite, but it has a way to make tricks look good...

I didn't really like the Widow Maker for quite a while, but recently had a chance to throw the nose further back than usual (lowered bridle point) and had a really good time with it.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't really like the Widow Maker for quite a while, but recently had a chance to throw the nose further back than usual (lowered bridle point) and had a really good time with it.

Good to hear that... glad I'm not crazy, I think the WM is a great kite, one of the best I've flown.

Good news... I got the Kymera back in my bag, I think the next video will be K-kite all the way !

• Like 1