KiteLife Forum

Dual or quad

STSofuc

Hello, I have flown kites before my father had picked up a dual string kite from Sam's club years ago. After I started getting into flying them a bit he picked up a Prism I don't know what model or anything it was probably 15 years ago.

My question is now I am living on my own with my wife and we are considering going to the beach and I wanted to pick up a kite if we go. I have only ever flown dual line kites and was thinking about picking up a dual or a quad but I wasn't sure how different they are and what I can get for between 100 and 200 that would be good in around 6 to 15 mph winds. What would anyone suggest?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

If you go with a dual line, I think the Prism Quantum would be a good choice and gets you in on the lower end of budget.

I can't help with quad lines. I know Revolution kites are quite popular. I think they are higher priced though. Someone will likely be in shortly that can help you out there.

Edit: Well, it looks like at least one of the Revs is right at the $200 mark. It's on sale from one retailer just below that right now. There is also a drawing from one here on the forum coming up this Saturday. http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/6510-custom-b-series-std-8115/

• Like 1

I'm a Rev guy, so a little biased.

Dualies, I think, will be easier to learn , if you're just getting back into it. Might be good to try them and get the feet wet first, then if it still has your attention, try a Rev out!

The 2 kites require a completely different set of handling skills to fly successfully. But some of the basic ideas carry over!

I would recommend looking at one of the retailers listed on the upper right side of the main forum page. These are the folks who support this forum and all the great info to be found here. If you are looking for a Rev, I would recommend the 1.5 size. My opinion is this size offers the best all around performance. For an entry level price, the EXP is a good bet. Lots of folks on here have these and are very happy with them. They are often sold in an all included package, lines, handle and kite. Then you'll need some kind of ground stake for setup and you're all set. When flying inland, I use a screw driver for my stake. I have a longer, sand appropriate stake for beach flying with the Rev. A guy could easily make something at home to use at the beach and save a few bucks.

I've owned and flown Revs for a good 20 years, but am really more of a dual line flyer and just fly the Revs for enjoyment. Many on here are much more knowleable on all things Rev annd can help with the finer points. Having said that, the info here is sound, and the EXP is a good place to start. For a little more money, you can get a B series, which I believe is made of higher end sail material, (Icarex?) and has higher end framing. Do some price comparison shopping at one of these retailers and you should know what you're looking at price wise.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

So where would you be looking for one with lines and handles? I am working lots of overtime was just trying to set a limit for myself or I have a tendency to spend way to much on a whim.

Keep an eye on e-Bay. Once in a while some nice used ones with lines and handles show up there. Also, get on the Rev forum. Look in the kites for sale topics here and there. You can also check the AKA (American Kiteflyers Association) forum. There are also frequent raffles on these forums; you might get lucky.

As far as which one to get, it doesn't really matter. You can learn on any of them -- some are easier, some harder. As a beginner you won't be able to tell the difference. Like it's been said: "Just do it!". Any way you go you'll have a ton of fun.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Any questions you have about kiting will be answered here.

So where would you be looking for one with lines and handles? I am working lots of overtime was just trying to set a limit for myself or I have a tendency to spend way to much on a whim.

Keep an eye on e-Bay. Once in a while some nice used ones with lines and handles show up there. Also, get on the Rev forum. Look in the kites for sale topics here and there. You can also check the AKA (American Kiteflyers Association) forum. There are also frequent raffles on these forums; you might get lucky.

Yup, there is a Rev raffle on AKA right now. You would have to buy a AKA membership and buy raffle tickets though.