KiteLife Forum

Flying near Pittsburgh, PA

hapes

Hapes, I'm guessing that you were there on Sunday, but not Saturday. I live in the Chicago area. Dude, I know exactly how it feels. You get your Rev. You're all excited about flying it and the wind is total crap or hurricane or missing -- or all three on the same day. Welcome to the Midwest! If you can fly here, you can fly anywhere! Stick with it and you will be rewarded. Also, I know how hard it is to patiently wait until the wind is good enough, but you will develop muscle memory more quickly and find the experience more enjoyable if you choose to fly more "do-able" winds.

By the way, the journey never ends. Keep smiling and don't forget to breathe.

• 2 years later...

I have a couple places I prefer to fly. Northmoreland park is one of them. Crooked creek lake park is another place I love to go. I will be checking out the old football field in Avonmore pa as well since I recently got a kite buggy. I just heard that the Pittsburgh kite club meets in Newcastle pa at a place called Coopers Lake campground and event center. We will be driving up there today to check it out. Even though it is suppossed to storm. I believe we are going to attend the event there coming up as well. I would love to hear of more places near us for flying.

Northmoreland Park in Apollo?  That's 35 minutes from me.  Crooked Creek is about 55 minutes.  Cooper's Lake is like an hour as well.  There's an event?  I'll have to check out the details.

Thanks for the info!

On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM, hapes said:

Northmoreland Park in Apollo?  That's 35 minutes from me.  Crooked Creek is about 55 minutes.  Cooper's Lake is like an hour as well.  There's an event?  I'll have to check out the details.

Thanks for the info!

http://windstarkites.com/FlyPghKiteClub.htm that is the page with the schedule of events for the Fly Pittsburgh Kite Club. And yes we actually live in Apollo northmoreland Park is only 5-10 minutes away from us. The next event is actually June 3rd it's showing for Cooper's Lake I am going to try to attend for sure. Us Western pennsylvanians should all get together before all the good spring wind is gone LOL