KiteLife Forum

How many Rev´s i need ;-)

tisi

Hello Rev Family ,

my name is Markus ( nickname: tisi ).
I fly kites are many years but only dual lines.

my first contact with Quad Kite was in 2014 year with a HQ Mojo, my first Rev I bought this year, the second 2 months later ;-).

Now a question to the experts how many rev's I need and which ?

Regards

Markus

limited only by your wallet,

At a minimum you'll need something for no-wind/SUL conditions, certainly a high winder kite too, everything else is just in-betweeners.

After 20+ years, I carry just one Rev bag with a dozen or so steadily used kites and few that get mixed in or removed out depending on mood or weather. I think I own about 60 of 'em. Most of my "A bag" is dedicated to low wind, indoors and SULs, but I can fly when the coast guard won't leave the harbor too.

Revs come in different sizes 6 feet to almost 10' and I have some that are knock-offs in a vastly reduced sizes, (Dugard's six pack stack of 36 inch leading edge and 2 Ames six-pack stacks of 42 inchers).

There are different design considerations available,..... the indoor, the Speed Series and the old faithful concept

Various custom builders come up occasionally for you to collect their wares also

The cost of travel to fly with friends greatly exceeds any actual kite purchases, at least for me,

probably by a factor of ten!

• Like 1

How many???!!! Loaded question!!! Need might be different than want!! Here's a simple list of what might interest you:

1. - SUL and/or Zen - light wind option for when most just sit

2. - Set of the 3 regular kites - std, mid, full vent - these are pretty much in every serious flier's bag

3. - Extra vent - allows you to fly in high winds

4. - Indoor (optional) - if you have a place to use it, then your season can be year round

There are many other Revs, really depends on what interests you - power, speed, etc. You can spend a little or a lot - your choice!

• Like 1

To fly in all winds comfortably, including zero and gale-force, you need a minimum of three up to a maximum of seven. The actual number you will want is determined by your comfort level and your skill level. Some people don't want to move around very much (zero-wind), and/or fight the wind just to stay on their feet (gale-force). Advanced pilots can control their kites above and below the wind ranges recommended by the manufacturer, so there is a great deal of overlap in ranges for each type of kite. In addition, there are specialty kites for specific situations like indoor flying, and different frames that can drastically change the kite's range.

Click on this if the chart below doesn't look right. post-7138-0-48022300-1439482500_thumb.pn

Wind Speed

kph 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 65

mph 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40

|-------Zero-wind-------|

|-------------Ultra-Light--------------|

|----------------Standard-sail----------------|

|------------------------Mid-vent-----------------------------|

|-----------------------------Full-vent---------------------------------------|

|------------------------------------------Extra-vent------------------------------------------------------|

|----------------------------------------------All-vent------------------------------>?

Please understand that this is a VERY ROUGH approximation of what is possible, and definitely NOT what is RECOMMENDED by the manufacturer! "All-vent" kites are not commercially manufactured. As you can see, there is much overlap in wind ranges, so depending on your local prevailing wind conditions, you can get by with a minimum of 3 kites and be able to fly 90% of the time. Which 3 you choose will depend on your local winds, your flying style and level of expertise.

Edit: Just realized that this chart may not translate well depending on device and/or screen resolution, so I am adding a .png file above for those who need it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your Feedback.

Currently I have a B -series std and a B-Series vented!

From my Point of view, I think for the start should be enough (maybe for this year ;-))

Unfortunately, the delivery of a pro b or other Kites like this, is expensive due to customs fees in Germany.

Another Point is , there are not the huge selection of German online shops they have revolutions in stock ;-)

@wayne dowler, now i know, for what I need money ;-)

@makatakam, the Chart helps

Markus

• Like 1

A standard and a full vent (what you have) will get you quite far. As an example, some people (myself included) have flown competition with just 2 kites - a standard and a full vent. For competition, you are expected to fly if the wind is between 4km/h and 45km/h (yes, it's actually specified in km/h in the rulebook and converted to mph). It's possible to cover this whole range with just those 2 kites, although it takes some effort on the low and high ends.

I think you will be fine for at least a year with the two Revs that you have. During this time, you will learn what the typical conditions are like where you fly, and how they change throughout the year. You will learn how you like to fly, what you like to fly in, and what you wish you had another kite for to make your life easier. Maybe you won't know which kite in particular you "need", but hopefully you'll know what you're looking for and be able to get some help figuring out which kite(s) that is.

Don't forget: have fun!

• Like 2

A standard and a full vent (what you have) will get you quite far. As an example, some people (myself included) have flown competition with just 2 kites - a standard and a full vent. For competition, you are expected to fly if the wind is between 4km/h and 45km/h (yes, it's actually specified in km/h in the rulebook and converted to mph). It's possible to cover this whole range with just those 2 kites, although it takes some effort on the low and high ends.

I think you will be fine for at least a year with the two Revs that you have. During this time, you will learn what the typical conditions are like where you fly, and how they change throughout the year. You will learn how you like to fly, what you like to fly in, and what you wish you had another kite for to make your life easier. Maybe you won't know which kite in particular you "need", but hopefully you'll know what you're looking for and be able to get some help figuring out which kite(s) that is.

Don't forget: have fun!

That´s my goal : Have a lot of Fun

:rev_clockwork:

• Like 1

As a relative newbie to the wonderful world of Rev flying ( only 2 years under my belt ) though have been flying dualies and power kites for many years .... I went into Rev flying and purchasing totally uninformed ( should have joined kitelife a long time ago ). I started with a Rev standard, followed closely by a full vent and although they both get plenty of flight time -it's the mid vent B series that's gets most of action these days - but What you go for is completely dependent on where you fly and the conditions you fly in .

If really want to cover yourself for almost all eventualities ( and fun flying ) I added a Zen and a B2 vented to my collection . Now I'm just holdimg off until I can justify matching Pro standard, mid vent and full vent .

Re availability in Germany - we have the same issue here in the UK so tbh I usually bring them over from Dave S at Huntingdon beach who always has a great range on offer and has some nice custom options which you just don't get over here .

Happy flying

if I can find a good deal , would be a b2 or m interesting ;-)

As a relative newbie to the wonderful world of Rev flying ( only 2 years under my belt ) though have been flying dualies and power kites for many years .... I went into Rev flying and purchasing totally uninformed ( should have joined kitelife a long time ago ). I started with a Rev standard, followed closely by a full vent and although they both get plenty of flight time -it's the mid vent B series that's gets most of action these days - but What you go for is completely dependent on where you fly and the conditions you fly in .

If really want to cover yourself for almost all eventualities ( and fun flying ) I added a Zen and a B2 vented to my collection . Now I'm just holdimg off until I can justify matching Pro standard, mid vent and full vent .

Re availability in Germany - we have the same issue here in the UK so tbh I usually bring them over from Dave S at Huntingdon beach who always has a great range on offer and has some nice custom options which you just don't get over here .

Happy flying

if I find a good deal , would be a B2 std/ or B2 vented or mid vent B series interesting ;-)

too many wishes ;-)