KiteLife Forum

New guy needs advice

Jimval

Hi all

I'm looking at buying some kites for me and my boys. I've been looking online for a while and I'm confused in regards to wind range. Does the max wind range mean if you fly the kite in more wind you will break the kite?

Also after some advice on a good around stunt kite for me. I've flown them before when I was a kid.

I'm looking at spending $500 all up for me and my boys.

I've been looking at widow maker/prism oricum etc.

Are there any good online stores I should go to.

I'm in Western Australia.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

There are a dozen or more kite shops in Oz, most of them east and south, but there are some in Perth. Most of them are probably kiteboarding-orientated. Look for an all-around shop. They will be able to advise you and you can skip all those darn import duties if you buy in-country. Otherwise, just search kites on e-bay and thousands will show up. You can then refine your search from there. Don't forget to look at used kites. You can pick up top of the line kites for less than a middle-of-the-road new ones and spend less even with duties.

Depending on the ages of your sons and what type of kites you want for them will determine whether you spend the entire $500, or less. You should be able to purchase 3 decent-quality kites for that price. The ones you mention in your post are very good quality and will serve you well for quite some time. The prevailing winds where you live will determine how often you can fly them. There are a few kite flyers down under. Click on the members tab on this forum, and the "Kitelife" forum to see where they are located and contact them. We kite flyers are a friendly bunch and always willing to help others.

Does the max wind range mean if you fly the kite in more wind you will break the kite?

Yes and no. Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to fly a kite past the max of it's wind range, since you are much more likely to break the kite. That doesn't mean if you fly the kite a tad over it's wind range that it will instantly blow apart. How aggressively you fly, where in the wind window the kite is, and many other factors can affect if/when a kite breaks. Common advice for dealing with gusts is to fly to the edge of the wind window (e.g. up or to the side) because you will have less sail pressure there. Too much wind can also cause the sail, bridle, etc. to stretch prematurely and that is not good.

The "sweet spot" in terms of wind for flying a particular kite is usually around the middle of it's stated wind range. Like jeepin said, the low end usually requires low wind technique, which involves footwork. The upper end, the kite is usually pulling pretty hard and you do want to be careful. A hard crash, even within the stated wind range of a kite, can lead to something breaking.

• Like 1

Hi all

I'm looking at buying some kites for me and my boys. I've been looking online for a while and I'm confused in regards to wind range. Does the max wind range mean if you fly the kite in more wind you will break the kite?

Also after some advice on a good around stunt kite for me. I've flown them before when I was a kid.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Max and min wind ranges are a variable thing. Ideally your "flying wind" needs to be somewhere in the middle.

A UL and a Std pair will serve 80% of wind here in Perth. A Std will be of more use than the UL though.

There aren't any kite stores in Perth for stunters. You can buy stunt kites but they are of the "light recreational use". There are a couple of "East Coast" stores that are quite good. Both for website info and service. Sometimes range can be a bit limited but it's more to do with demand being not huge. Postage from the U.S. needs to be factored in as it can be a little limiting.

Nitty gritty time.

$500 for kites...

Is that for 3?

Of the same?

Or do you want a spread of wind range?

Tricks or just casual zooming around?

Do you want rtf, ready to fly with lines and straps?

If it was for 3 rtf trick kites the same, I'd suggest a Skydog Jammin. Heaps of features and capabilities for the price. I own one. And all three of you could fly together. However, this does limit you to a "Std" wind.

Check back with a little more info to help.

Hey, with summer coming up we should meet up. I promise to hold of letting you fly the Revs until at least the second hour...

Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi all

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Max and min wind ranges are a variable thing. Ideally your "flying wind" needs to be somewhere in the middle.

A UL and a Std pair will serve 80% of wind here in Perth. A Std will be of more use than the UL though.

There aren't any kite stores in Perth for stunters. You can buy stunt kites but they are of the "light recreational use". There are a couple of "East Coast" stores that are quite good. Both for website info and service. Sometimes range can be a bit limited but it's more to do with demand being not huge. Postage from the U.S. needs to be factored in as it can be a little limiting.

Nitty gritty time.

$500 for kites...

Is that for 3?

Of the same?

Or do you want a spread of wind range?

Tricks or just casual zooming around?

Do you want rtf, ready to fly with lines and straps?

If it was for 3 rtf trick kites the same, I'd suggest a Skydog Jammin. Heaps of features and capabilities for the price. I own one. And all three of you could fly together. However, this does limit you to a "Std" wind.

Check back with a little more info to help.

Hey, with summer coming up we should meet up. I promise to hold of letting you fly the Revs until at least the second hour...

Rob.

thanks for every ones replies......

i was thinking around $100 x 2 for boys kites

and $300 for my own (because my kite has to better than there's.....its only fair right???)

all have to be ready to fly.

I've had a look on eBay there was a prism Zephyr i think from that guy formally mentioned. $249 used once

What do you think?

Wow. Still too much to decide on. I guess you have to figure out how you're going to use them.

Are you going to be flying with the boys all of the time? What are the prevailing wind conditions year round? SparkieRob is a great guy and would be able to help you with the local aspects. How old are the boys and is this something that you guys have longed to do or is this a whim? I'm not talking you way, but you may be able to get more bang for your buck if you strategically buy a few different kites. The variety of kites is amazing. Sport kites are fun, but the acrobatics are best when you have beach winds. You can learn inland, but it's just a bit more difficult with the inconsistent wind. Are you planning on flying ballet or learning flips and tricks?

You are going to break pieces at the beginning. It is inevitable, so getting access to replacement parts and supplies is necessary. The flip side of that is you should progress and those repair parts are not as necessary once you get more proficient, but it's nice to have them. One other thing to keep in mind is usability of the kite once you start progressing, if you're having fun to keep with it. I would think about those issues and ask more questions so that we can get you pointed in the right direction for maximum enjoyment.

On the flip side, if you have the spare cash, just buying something general to get up and running is always fun too. You can pull it out of the bag later just for smiles.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I ended up with a 2 kites from eBay that I'm happy with......prism jazz....sky dog crossfire.

I also have a bid on an Elliot jet stream.....so we will wait and see.

First thing I've ever bought on eBay.

I have been looking at the revolution kites in my travels. A few questions:

1. Are they difficult to learn how to fly

2. Will I be able to fly it first go without any one there teaching me?

3. They look bloody awesome and the speed is unreal

I don't mind going for the expensive one straight up if I can get parts etc.

Cheers guys

Thought that was you bidding...

Revs different to fly. Some find them easier, some don't. Self teaching with revs is quite easy. There are great tutorials on this very website. A couple of hours with a semi competent rev pilot will take months of the learning. Be happy to help. Even let you fly some to get a feel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in on you. Have you got the kites and had a fly yet? Wind has been good and terrible lately.

Revs. Most package deals from a store will have a DVD instruction with them. If you are still considering getting a rev, pm me your mailing address and I'll send you one of mine. First taste is free...

Just checking in on you. Have you got the kites and had a fly yet? Wind has been good and terrible lately.

Revs. Most package deals from a store will have a DVD instruction with them. If you are still considering getting a rev, pm me your mailing address and I'll send you one of mine. First taste is free...

yes I've flown the kites.

Wind was a bit light on but managed to have some fun.

I've ordered a rev from 'kite connections' in america..... so its just a waiting game.

i will PM you sparkieRob, that would be greatly appreciated.

Those are two kites I've wanted to try, the Crossfire & the Jet Stream... please let us know what you think of them...

they both fly very well, i only have limited knowledge...... but from what i could tell, im happy with what i got.

I don't have anything to compare them to, as I'm only new to this, but the Crossfire would be my pick of the two.

cheers,

Jim

I've ordered a rev from 'kite connections' in america..... so its just a waiting game.

What rev did you get? Dave is pretty y good to deal with. Awesome pilot.

What rev did you get? Dave is pretty y good to deal with. Awesome pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

My rev came in the mail the other day, have flown it a few times... I'm so excited I feel a bit like a big kid.

I have a broken leg ATM and wife is driving me everywhere and I'm driving her crazy!!

It's going to take a long time for me to master the basics I think.

My question is......the lines that come on the handles (not the actual flying line) are very short, the videos I've watched would suggest they need to be longer on order to customise the length. Should I just get some standard line and tie knots accordingly or are these lines sold seperatly And my next question, where can I get these in Australia

Cheers,

Jim

Sorry Jim, have been super busy and didn't send the DVD.

I'll put a "care package" together with some bits and send them out.

Wall plugs and screws to convert to no-snags.

I'll tie you some longer leaders.

I'll do some pull tabs for your lines.

I'll dig up a kite stake too.

That should keep you going for a bit.

• Like 1

My rev came in the mail the other day, have flown it a few times... I'm so excited I feel a bit like a big kid.

I have a broken leg ATM and wife is driving me everywhere and I'm driving her crazy!!

It's going to take a long time for me to master the basics I think.

My question is......the lines that come on the handles (not the actual flying line) are very short, the videos I've watched would suggest they need to be longer on order to customise the length. Should I just get some standard line and tie knots accordingly or are these lines sold seperatly And my next question, where can I get these in Australia

Cheers,

Jim

I see Rob has taken care of your basic needs. With a broken leg you won't be able to do much moving around, but the plus side to this is that if you learn to fly the kite and control it well while sitting down it makes it soooooooooooooo easy to do standing up. The hardest thing to teach a beginner is to stop backing up, until you make him sit down. Now you have to let the wind do the work, and this is when you actually learn twice as much, three times faster.

Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.