KiteLife Forum

Long Beach Island Kite Festival... 2015

RobB

This event was a great kick-start to the 2015-2016 Kite Season ! It's the first time that they've had a kite festival at this location, and I think it was a huge success ! My hat is off to the organizers & the people of Long Beach Island for putting up with us crazy kiters...

IMG_0013.jpg

The wind was a bit strong on Saturday... I think I got more windburn than sunburn...

IMG_0026.jpg

Revs were the most flown kites on Saturday... well, probably for the whole event. There was a huge turn-out of Rev fliers, and some great looking Revs, too.

IMG_0044.jpg

A quick lesson off on the sidelines...

IMG_0051.jpg

Did I say that it was really blowing ? Even this mega-super vent Rev was flying pretty fast...

IMG_0058.jpg

Later in the day, the winds came down and some dual-lines came out to play...

IMG_0070.jpg

Good looking kite... I think it was an XTZ ?

IMG_0086.jpg

I really liked the colors of this Rev. This pilot had all of his Revs in these colors... Sweet !

IMG_0108.jpg

Once the winds came down, some of the BIG kites took to the air.

IMG_0110.jpg

S'more of the BIG kites...

IMG_0145.jpg

Speaking of BIG kites, I got a few people to give the Skyburner XL a try... BIG kite in a fade !

IMG_0147a.jpg

The sky couldn't have been brighter...

IMG_0156.jpg

Blue against a blue sky ? Looks better than it sounds.... I think this is an R-Sky kite.

IMG_0235.jpg

Another candidate for an arm-lengthening...

IMG_0272.jpg

Some shots from the dual-line competition. I think this one is a Vendetta, a pretty hard-to-find kite. This is the first time I've watched a competition. Pretty cool, I even got to pit crew for one of the competitors.

IMG_0285.jpg

Another competitor with an R-Sky kite...

IMG_0308.jpg

Vented Vendetta ?

IMG_0327.jpg

Sunday brought some amazing weather, especially for October in the North East. The winds were smooth, about 3mph, offshore. Flying against the sun & water background was amazing. This is an Enigma UL... very nice kite.

IMG_0362.jpg

The Snow Devil, out of it's element (no snow).

IMG_0388.jpg

A few Rev fliers floating some NYMs around in the light wind...

IMG_0395.jpg

What are these super-cool looking iridescent sticks ? All these NYMs had them.

IMG_0407.jpg

Cool looking all-black Rev and a Transformer 2 SUL...

IMG_0420.jpg

A Nirvana SE UL. Pretty kite, and it flew nicely, too.

So happy I got out to another event this year. I got to see people that I haven't seen in years. Fly kites that I otherwise would never get the chance... I hope they're going to hold this event again next year, it was well worth the 8 hours round trip, getting up at 5am on a Saturday, and a hotel room.

• Like 9

Whether they be flyer or spectator, all attendees had a great time at this event. I used the whole bag from 4 wraps\135% mesh to diamond travel frames in a pair of Zens. Flew a bit of Pairs, some Team and individually both inside and outdoors, day and night. Mixed it up with new friends and shared laughs with old ones too (not our ages, but our number of years of acquaintance)

No pics sorry!

-plm

The tubes/rods on those NYM's are SPL race rods, They are wraps over black or green race rods, I have both, The rev labels are red over clear, with flames and Race SPL. I think they look cool, but a waste to be used inside leading edge, you can't see pretty through the leading edge.

Looks like a pretty good turnout. Nice pictures!

Whether they be flyer or spectator, all attendees had a great time at this event. I used the whole bag from 4 wraps\135% mesh to diamond travel frames in a pair of Zens. Flew a bit of Pairs, some Team and individually both inside and outdoors, day and night. Mixed it up with new friends and shared laughs with old ones too (not our ages, but our number of years of acquaintance)

No pics sorry!

-plm

Hey Paul, I think picture #3 might be you... I wasn't sure. If that was you, I'm sorry I had my camera & bag in my hands when you offered to let me try that awesome looking Shook Mesh. I really wanted to try one of those... next time !

The tubes/rods on those NYM's are SPL race rods, They are wraps over black or green race rods, I have both, The rev labels are red over clear, with flames and Race SPL. I think they look cool, but a waste to be used inside leading edge, you can't see pretty through the leading edge.

Looks like a pretty good turnout. Nice pictures!

I really liked those sticks... they would be some nice bling for my Berk Rev !

Thanks for posting these pics. It's nice for folks like me that don't travel much. Motivating as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've got a few festivals up by you... Newport & Hammonasset come to mind. Probably not more than a 2 hour drive to either ?

No pics sorry!

-plm

Hey Paul, I think picture #3 might be you... I wasn't sure. If that was you, I'm sorry I had my camera & bag in my hands when you offered to let me try that awesome looking Shook Mesh. I really wanted to try one of those... next time !

Yes that was me on the 135% mesh, took me a couple of days to get it all dialed-in to my liking. Push kids out of the way next time it's handy, otherwise I always go for the cutest child who's nearby for a quick experience of piloting

Yes that was me on the 135% mesh, took me a couple of days to get it all dialed-in to my liking. Push kids out of the way next time it's handy, otherwise I always go for the cutest child who's nearby for a quick experience of piloting

Hey Paul,

I was walking around at the time with my camera & bag in my hands when you offered me the lines. I should've just put them down where I stood & flown. Oh well, next time ! Thanks for the offer, though.

~Rob.

• 2 months later...

Hey Paul, 

I was walking around at the time with my camera & bag in my hands when you offered me the lines. I should've just put them down where I stood & flown. Oh well, next time ! Thanks for the offer, though.

~Rob.

I was there at Long Beach island for this event too. I live local so it was great. As an amateur kite flyer it was so cool seeing all those kites flying especially the big ones which are absolutely incredible.

I hope there will be more events here soon.

12 hours ago, LostIt said:

I was there at Long Beach island for this event too. I live local so it was great. As an amateur kite flyer it was so cool seeing all those kites flying especially the big ones which are absolutely incredible.

I hope there will be more events here soon.

Hey Lostlt,

I wonder if we met up there... I met a number of locals, some even flew my kites. My favorites were 2 little girls that were watching with their Moms, they asked if they could try, and did, with a little help. Great group of people in LBI, much different from the Wildwood scene that I'm used to !