KiteLife Forum

Yet another new guy (You're not really surprised, are you?)

White Rabbit

Greetings, everyone.

I like Rev kites and long walk on the beach.

Or maybe that should be, "I'm a new Rev addict." (Everyone else: "Hi Rabbit.")

I wish I had some impressive story about years and years of kite experience, having started on this model or that one, but I don't. Sure, growing up in Texas, I had a kite and I certainly had a good time with it, but I guess I fell into the trap of thinking that it was something you either outgrow or upgrade into a parachute, the latter not being very appealing.

Then, this past summer, on a family trip to the WA coast, the rental house had some single line kites to play with. Got to researching online to see what the higher end of kites looked like and stumbled across the Rev. Now, I just keep thinking about all this time that has gone by and I'm only just now discovering them. How the heck did that happen? What, no one here thought to pick up the phone and let me know? Just heading off to have your own fun without me, huh? No, that's okay. I see how it is. ;)

So now I'm the proud owner of a B-Series standard on 90# 100 ft. lines, as well as a Rev travel frame since I periodically travel for my work. (Don't be surprised if I message some of you to see if you can come out and fly.)

My first flight didn't go so well, but apparently even the standard needs some kind of wind. Consistently. Well, on which to learn, at least. For my second flight last Saturday, I headed over to the next town which is known for its wind. (The highway signs about dangerous cross winds are a permanent fixture there.) With estimated 11 mph winds, I had a fantastic day. (Insert Chevy Chase's monologue regarding the amount of fun his family will have at Wally World, and the subsequent plastic surgery, here.) I'm hoping to get a few more flights in before the snow flies (which will hopefully only slightly reduce the frequency and not put it on hold for the season). Good thing I have a cool boss letting me split a single day off into two separate afternoons this week. Lots to learn in a short time.

Wow, you're still reading? (Wow, I'm still typing?)

Anyway, that's where I am. If any of you find yourselves in the SW part of Montana, drop me a line. Obviously, it will be a while before I can do any team flying, but one never knows!

Until next time!

-Rabbit

• Like 7

Hi, White Rabbit, and welcome to the forum. I look forward to flying with you some day. I'm in the Chicago area. Feel free to PM me anytime you're in town. There are at least half a dozen flyers in the west and northwest suburbs here, and several more within 90 minutes. Many good inland fields as well as the beaches of Lake Michigan on which to fly. Odds are good of finding someone to fly with in this neck of the woods.

Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

Welcome to the forum. Everyone is super helpful and the resources are great. I was into dualies for a few years before I even discovered the Rev so I can sympathize with you on that. They must just want them all for themselves, I mean JB must have enough kites for a small village at this point and I don't think he's alone in that. Hope the flying conditions are good for you today, I have 30 mile an hour winds and downpours right now, not quite ideal weather for anything.

So I was flying Sunday in some pretty strong winds and I broke a vertical spar. Does that mean I have been fully initiated? Or is it that it's all fun and games until someone breaks a spar?

The interesting thing is that the spar broke broke in two places, once on each side side of the label. I would have thought that it would break at one place before the other.

Darn. Now it means I'm going to have to get a vented sail, too. *sigh*

While I have your attention, anyone know if Rev kite bags are available anywhere? (I really have drunk the Kool Aid, haven't I?)

-Rabbit

ps - Thank you everyone for all the warm welcomes!

It may not be true but it seems to me that the spars have a tendency to break right up against the labels, not sure why but that's what I've seen. As for the vented sail can I use this as an excuse too? I've been looking all over to find a reason to get one...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Leading edges generally break due to spar damage (worn spots or impact), verticals generally only break due to pressure (high wind).

The reason Rev rods work so well for Revs is that they're stiffer than almost anything else, so when a break happens, the material responds more like a ceramic than a fiberglass in terms of forgiveness in flexibility, especially with the performance rods like Black Race or Diamond.

I've broken a single Diamond vertical spar into 6 pieces, then 4 another time, purely from loading the sail beyond their strength.

Two main rods qualities are stiffness and strength... A rod can be really, really stiff but not be very strong... Said another way, it can resist bending a lot (stiff) so it doesn't flex far, but beyond that flex lies a kinetic explosion throughout the rod.

I choose my frame of the moment based on having only a certain range of flex in the leading edge, but also not having it be too stiff - this lets the kite "breathe", fluid flex to help cup the air but not so much that the kite distorts and dumps power.

There's actually a third dynamic as well, which is "snap back", or how fast the spar will return to straight when the pressure is released... A strong snap back equates to more power and speed, generally favored by performance Rev fliers.

After that, I consider weight.

WR is spot on about the labels, they add a lot of support and generally don't break there.

So I was flying Sunday in some pretty strong winds and I broke a vertical spar. Does that mean I have been fully initiated? Or is it that it's all fun and games until someone breaks a spar?

The interesting thing is that the spar broke broke in two places, once on each side side of the label. I would have thought that it would break at one place before the other.

Darn. Now it means I'm going to have to get a vented sail, too. *sigh*

While I have your attention, anyone know if Rev kite bags are available anywhere? (I really have drunk the Kool Aid, haven't I?)

-Rabbit

ps - Thank you everyone for all the warm welcomes!

If you find any rev kite bags let me know. I often wonder why they stopped making them. Maybe if enough people get together and prepay they would make a few? Might be worth a try...

Theresa *might* have some at http://www.thekiteshoppe.com, plus she supports KiteLife. ;)

If not, I was in Kites Unlimited just a couple months ago and they had several Rev bags on the shelf.

They don't do online sales, but a quick phone call to Don, Geri, Brett, Frankie or any of their folks can help.

http://kitesandbirds.com/ku.html

Ok John and Photomom. Talked to Don and guess what! I got a rev bag coming in the mail! Woohoo!!! I really appreciate you speaking up and turning me on to these guys. Really nice brother to talk to on the phone. I believe he said there was one left there Mr White Rabbit.... Please forgive me for crashing your introduction thread. Thank you again JB and Photomom..

• Like 2