KiteLife Forum

Well that could have gone better.

Greg Brouelette

I've had the Kymera for almost 2 weeks and in the 4 times I've taken it out the wind was so light that I could only get a couple minutes of flight at a time before the wind would die and I'd have to land the kite. Two days ago I went out and got exactly zero flight time because of low winds. In 4 outings I have a total flight time of about 10 minutes.

But today the wind is howling. At last I can get the kite into the sky and play with it.

I've been using 50# lines and I knew those were too light. I have a set of 150# (which I should have used) but I opted for the 80# 80 foot lines.

I got the kite set up, pulled the handles, and Holy Cow that kite shot up. I was in control and kept it up in the air and moving back and forth across the top of the wind window. About 10 seconds into the flight one of the lines snapped and the kite rocketed off to the right where it hit a lamp post. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the spars but one of the bridle tore apart. I have to build a new bridle now.

Five outings, total flight time : 10 minutes and 10 seconds.

So what should I use for bridle line? There's a local kite shop down the hill from me in Sacramento. I'll stop by there tomorrow after work to see what they have. I didn't see bridle line on the Into The Wind website so I'll see what my local shop has.

I do see that ITW has Wind Shields to slow down a dual line kite in high winds. Maybe I should pick up a few of those.

And the journey to actually fly this kite continues. . . .

Sorry to hear of your trouble with the Kymera, and kinda surprised, too. Got any pictures ? It's really strange that the bridle would break... I've worn out bridles on kites that I've flown for years, mostly Revs, but I did wear out the bridle on my QuantumPro, but it took like 5 years !

As far as wind shields ? Never used them myself. I bought a bunch of vented dual line kites in the hopes that I could fly dual lines in higher winds, but just didn't click with the whole thing, and spend my time flying Revs when the wind gets too high for duals. I actually sold off all the vented dual line kites to fund more Revs !

I know nothing about dual lines, but I love them! The Kymera kite my be nice to park for a few months then try it after a few other kites. Grab a cheapo kite for learning curves. A kite is an extension of you, not you!

Just fly your kite the way it feels right.

That's all any of us do/does.

That's too bad you haven't been having any luck with your new kite. Sounds like it's not you; you've just been unlucky with the wind conditions.

With dualies, I would definitely use 150# line when the wind is "howling." I start to get worried on 90# line when the wind gets above 10mph or so, though most of my dualies are slightly bigger than the Kymera.

I would guess the bridle breaking may have resulted from the line snapping (some kind of damage from the whiplash?) and/or the collision. At least your kite didn't get stuck on the lamp post. Sorry I'm not of any help in what to replace with.

No experience with wind shields or wind brakes yet either. I'm with Rob - fly Revs when the wind is up. Well, I started with Revs so I'm more comfortable with them regardless of wind conditions.

Hopefully you're able to get things fixed up soon and get better luck with the wind.

They make brakes but i just suggest finding a vented kite for those windy days. One thing though, I really try and avoid gusty days, those will eat kites for lunch. If its not smooth, I aint flying.

In the Midwest you would fly about three days per year.

Even here in Portland, OR - inland winds are undependable at best! Clear fields, whatever, you just never know what you're gonna get! Heck, even the beach has its "off days"!

So if you want to fly, best to get a variety of gear suited to many wind conditions. Or give in and learn to fly indoors!!!! There, we don't need any wind!!

I know nothing about dual lines, but I love them! The Kymera kite my be nice to park for a few months then try it after a few other kites. Grab a cheapo kite for learning curves. A kite is an extension of you, not you!

Just fly your kite the way it feels right.

That's all any of us do/does.

Yeah, when I use to fly years ago I remember that feeling of the kite being an extension of yourself. I know that in the winter when I had the whole beach to myself I felt like I was dancing with the kite. My whole body would move with the kite, it was an incredible and relaxing experience. Unfortunately, I've only had a few minutes of that experience with my new kite.

I've been seriously considering getting a Prism 4D for super light winds. Building a quiver of kites for various conditions may well be the answer.

That's too bad you haven't been having any luck with your new kite. Sounds like it's not you; you've just been unlucky with the wind conditions.

With dualies, I would definitely use 150# line when the wind is "howling." I start to get worried on 90# line when the wind gets above 10mph or so, though most of my dualies are slightly bigger than the Kymera.

I would guess the bridle breaking may have resulted from the line snapping (some kind of damage from the whiplash?) and/or the collision. At least your kite didn't get stuck on the lamp post. Sorry I'm not of any help in what to replace with.

I think that when the kite lines wrapped around the lamp post it slid down and hit a "No Parking" sign. That edge may have torn up the bridle. The sheath is stripped off and about 4 inches of the core is showing.

I was thinking last night that my slow and sluggish Action Kite Fire Dart with 150# lines may be just the kite for those conditions. Of course, as I look out the window at work right now the tips of the trees are dead still. No wind at all.

I would definitely recommend getting a 4D. I live in a very low wind area and got almost no flight time in so I got a 4D and it has given me far more flight time. It also is great training in general because it requires a really calm touch compared to a heavy kite in strong winds that you can just muscle around. If you get one it will allow you to fly more and improve your skills. I love power so when winds start to howl I have a snapshot 1.9 and a tensor 5.0 that I break out rather than beating on my Rev or Dualies. Next plan for me is to get a vented rev to fly in high winds. Good luck fixing the bridle!

• Like 1

Well, it turns out that not only did I shred a bridle line. I broke an arrow nock at the end of a spare, and lost the T weight on the end of the center spar. I've been in email contact with Into The Wind and I'm going to ship it to them for repair.

Meanwhile, I stopped off at my "local" kite shop (45 miles away) and bought a Prism 3D which is super ultra light. I actually flew it in my back yard on just 20 feet of line. It was great, right up until I landed it and the lines caught an oak leaf which immediately tangled up the super light lines so badly that I'm going to have to cut off about 10 feet of line and resheath the ends.

If you heard an F-bomb echoing across the Sierra mountains about an hour ago that was me.

Total flight time over 6 days of attempts with 2 kites : 10 minutes 45 seconds.

I need a beer.

Man Greg! I just saw this post. That really stinks! I hate that you've had so much frustration up to this point. I hope you can get the needed parts and get back in the air soon. This was part of my frustration too though and why I ended up getting an Aura. My low wind days were just too frequent and I was not getting the time I wanted with the kite. Keep us posted on the progress.

Happy trails and wind filled sails!

• Like 1