KiteLife Forum

Is that a pulley on the hardness ?

DeafThunder

For some reason that looks like a climbing harness to me, so I'm guessing full custom.

I agree, looks like climbing gear. I have enough similar gear to duplicate that setup. The pulley is definitely climbing gear. SHBKF

I used that type of pulley block on the "hot wire" system on my kite buggy.

It wasn't up to the task as it would bind up with use. Even when I repacked the sintered bronze bearing with grease it would bind in a very short time. There was a lot of pressure on it.

I ended up making a pulley block using 2 x 5608RS bearings for a smooth action that has lasted well.

It's really important that a safety release "Whichard" (not of the pin type) is used when flying on handles, for those emergencies if it all turns ugly.

post-3641-0-55057600-1446726972_thumb.jp

The safety release up close. I made the tapered release cones from stainless steel bolts and the white balls are made from melted HDPE plastic milk bottles and then turned up in the lathe. When activated/pulled the taper physically forces the whichard release catch open.

post-3641-0-41973100-1446727648_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Chook

you buy your buggy, or make it? im interested in buggying, but it mite be a bit expansive to get into.being a old fart i think its my only option. all other kitting options (short of flying for fun, or learning how to do tricks) is the avenue i can take.looks like a ton of fun. getting a cheep (cost. not quality) kite surfing used bar coming in hopes of getting into buggying.

Yeh I have built/modified 5 buggies and I own 2 x Sysmic S2.

IMG_8359.thumb.JPG.4f2507a41d98d52a7f2d8

I leave one Sysmic S2 in Queensland on the East coast of Australia (The freight cost would be enormous) and fly over for a month each Easter to go kiting with mates in Yeppoon. I post my kites and motor bike armour ahead so it's there in time.

I have since changed my Hot wire system to just 2 stainless steel loops on webbing attached to the side rails as the system pictured above didn't prove safe enough. (wouldn't release completely every time). Here 2 sets are pictured.

003.thumb.jpg.3ddd885cbaa8d908f1905a6fe3

It's fantastic fun and I cover a lot of kilometre every year either Land sailing or kite buggying.

56d99a1c6b52c_vapor(681x1024).thumb.jpg.

We always have a ball. Don't worry bout the old fart bit all the guys I was with in January this year in South Australia I reckon the average age would have been around 45 to 50. I'm 56.

https://vimeo.com/94400055   Yeh it's me at the end before I started hot wiring.:D

• Like 1

man that video was GREAT! now i just gotta find a place bigenough to buggy. im near enough to lake erie, but never been to the beaches to see if buggying could be done there. if i can then its a cost thing for a buggy. i probably could build one. i know how to weld. did it for a living. hmmm bending pipe could be intresting, but could use pipe fittings i guess. now the gears are turning. best wait and see how my sholders hold up to my 2.5 foils. then again the kite is hooked to a harness .

For the amount of time expended building one it's much less head scratching to buy second hand.

They come up quite regularly here and we have nowhere near your population density. Keep a lookout on Ebay or kite forums.

Peter Lynn buggies always seem to be floating around and they transport really easily due to the way they pull to bits with only a few bolts.

• 5 months later...