KiteLife Forum

Travel Frame Kite Consolidation

White Rabbit

I feel that the video on setting up and breaking down your Rev is very clear. I try to follow it to the letter every time I work with my kite.

What I am not clear about is how to break down to size using the travel frame. I just got through trying several configurations, but there is clearly something I'm still missing. Hopefully someone has collapsed their kite down to travel frame size and can give me more info.

I have read a lot about how people travel with their kite as carry-on in architecture plan and mailing tubes, and I'm prepared to do that for my next trip, if necessary. However, I specifically purchased the travel frame in hopes of a more compact package for when I fly, and I'm just not clear on how it all comes together.

Here's where I am so far:

1) The travel frame LE breaks down into 6 segments. Separating all 6 and leaving about an inch of play between each segment (per the video on breaking down your kite) left a lot of extra spar sticking out on each side. I was uncomfortable leaving so much out, and given where the ends landed, that a bad shift could impale the sail, even after rolled up.

2) Completely removing one or two segments, folding (loosely, per the video) into 4 or 5 segments across the LE, seemed to put folds right on the tips, on the reinforced center at the inverted 'V', or the extra support fabric on the LE where the verticals connect, none of which seemed like a good idea.

Does anyone have clear guidance on the best way to collapse down to travel frame size? How many travel spars are left in the leading edge? And if they are all removed, then how is the sail packaged up? (How do they package a sail when that is all you are purchasing from certain vendors?) If the whole thing is supposed to be able to fit in the blue travel size Rev bag, I can easily drop that into something with harder sides and would feel comfortable with putting it in my checked bag. Any help will be greatly appreciated on this.

Thanks,

-Rabbit

Remove the frame entirely, roll the kite sail around it, secure shut with Velcro, insert into ziplock freezer bag

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I am going to Norway next year and contemplating a travel kit, there is one on eBay right now and after parting out the kite and other non essential Items I could get it the bag and frame for about $20. With that said, Prism makes a hard travel case this is small enough for carry on and I may go that route instead. I hear the travel frame flys different, I have some extra ferrels that I had cut so that I can make my own travel kit but hate to waste a good frame just to cut it up for one trip. Un decided.

I thought about buying a travel frame and is there a reason it's 3 wrap. (just to be more robust????)

I'd like a 2 wrap travel frame "if there is such a thing" as I like the lighter winds of an evening. I do notice a big difference going from a 2 wrap frame to the 3 in my 1.5B.

I think the total remove for travel sound like cheap insurance for the sail. With a slight curve kept in the leading edge they come out very easily in one piece. (thanks JB for the video)

• Like 1

With the travel frame, I vinyl electrical tape six pieces into three when in use on the kite. I have travel frames made for both the Zen and 1.5 formats, Diamonds and Green Race, that way you can intermix 'em for specialized conditions. Some parts stiffer and others more flexible.

Since there are extra ferrules you're getting a stiffer frame automatically. So a 2 wrap is as stiff as green Race, a 3 wrap travel would almost equal 4s, etc. I use a travel frame with diamonds because I break and abuse this tube way beyond it's intended wind range. It's the lightest and most responsive stick Rev sells and they re-inforce each end, nut just cut & ferule. I'll run diamonds in 75% Shook, so it's like a cheetah's response, filled with power instantly, sometimes too much,... oops!

or throwing it around, breaking sticks on seawalls, even a shovel once time, HA!

I use Prism's hard-sided cases too,.... for the bride's 2 nine foot lighted deltas, my Gibian & 2 Old Glory Bazzer kites, and the last one is an indoor pkg that varies based on expected ceiling heights.

Travel frames are custom made, call your retailer or Lolly direct, buy a couple of extra sticks (just in case) while you're at it Expect to pay extra and wait for it.

WORTH IT!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Remove the frame entirely, roll the kite sail around it, secure shut with Velcro, insert into ziplock freezer bag

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I am going to Norway next year and contemplating a travel kit, there is one on eBay right now and after parting out the kite and other non essential Items I could get it the bag and frame for about $20. With that said, Prism makes a hard travel case this is small enough for carry on and I may go that route instead. I hear the travel frame flys different, I have some extra ferrels that I had cut so that I can make my own travel kit but hate to waste a good frame just to cut it up for one trip. Un decided.

I believe that Prism has discontinued making that hard case, so unless you can find a used one, or a Prism kite that comes with it, ........

I thought about buying a travel frame and is there a reason it's 3 wrap. (just to be more robust????)

I'd like a 2 wrap travel frame "if there is such a thing" as I like the lighter winds of an evening. I do notice a big difference going from a 2 wrap frame to the 3 in my 1.5B.

I think the total remove for travel sound like cheap insurance for the sail. With a slight curve kept in the leading edge they come out very easily in one piece. (thanks JB for the video)

Most likely a 3 wrap, as it is the average frame most used. If you really want one lighter (2 wrap), consider making your own. Dremel tool or fine tooth hacksaw will do the cutting, a bit of glue and you have what you want! Like Paul said though - adding the extra ferrules makes the LE stiffer, so be aware!

• Like 1

I have used this reflector stick before and yes, it is heavier and strong, too ... it was a test and it works great, but not recommending ... I used this stick for my vertical rods in a higher wind to slow down the rapid movement and also ... I kept checking on sticks to make sure there is no threading or splinter that may cut the rip-stop material ... I won't using this reflector sticks very long and use it as my backup vertical rods until new rods delivered. ... I have 4 revolution vertical rods left ...

... Since I broke my endcap and bought some arrow's end tip attachment, until endcaps delivered.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for the assistance with the travel packing. Completely removing the frame was the piece I needed. Once I was able to package it in the blue carrier, it fit loosely with my computer bag and I was on my way.

I was glad to have had it, as there was good wind at my destination, although it was also drizzling rain. I'm sure others were wondering what the heck I thought I was doing. No biggie, though. Just kept flying and dried my kite in front of the window back in the hotel room. Looked like a Rev advertisement from the outside!

Again, thank you to everyone who chimed in. Looking forward to more travels with my Rev!

• Like 2