KiteLife Forum

Rev Bridles, Rev 1 and B-Series

DeafThunder

Rev Bridles : on my B-Series it's getting worn out ... what store online has it ? ... is it possible to make my own bridles (like duplicating it) ?

Rev 1 : according to revkite.com's Rev 1 specification,  this kite can handle up to 25 mph ... I only flew it at 17mph on 160 feet line (rev kite line + power kite line) ... it's AWESOME for first 20 minutes ... then one of the vertical bar snapped (did not hurt the kite) ... What now ? ... The wind has not reach 18 mph or higher at all ... the spar's label said "Revolution Equipped" ... is there something wrong there ? ... and who has Rev 1 spars at online store ? ... can I get a stronger spars ? ... can I just go buy carbon tube and cut it for less ? ... 

B-Series : I need to go buy some spars or can I just go buy carbon tube and cut it for less ?

Speaking of RevKites.com's "Find a store" ... I thought I picked "Rev Bridles" > find a store ... a WHOLE list ... I just checked out a few store online already and have not found spars, then one last time ... picked another store ... how am I suppose to know which this SPARS for ... Rev 1 or B-Series ... I have already measured the spars ... Rev 1 vertical spar is 36" long and B-Series is 31" long ... 

Will you give me a good start in details ... or umm ... I just don't want to buy the wrong spars ... Thanks.

I am going to check out few more stores if I can find it ... 

See ? http://intothewind.com/ItemSearch--search-Spars--srcin-1 ... it does not even tell me how long is it ... $2 a foot ? $2 for a single 31" or 36" spar ? $2 for what ?

after check out like 10th kite store online ... found one ... http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/categories/Kite-Parts-and-Supplies/

http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/products/Revolution-B-2-Spar-%252d-2-wrap-Regular.html ... Rev B ... is that referring to B-Series and it does not even tell me how long is it or thickness ?

That is what I meant "give me a good start" ... so I won't be so confusing. 

I just found Rev 1 Spars just now ... http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/products/Revolution-I-4-Wrap-Equipped-Regular-Spar.html

4 wrap ? ... isn't that suppose to be very strong ? or I got a defective spar ? 

Is this one stronger than 4 wrap ? http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/products/Revolution-I-Race-Regular-Spar.html

Can I get a thicker than that like the Rev 1 Leading Rod as Vertical Bar, if replace the endcap with thicker size ? ...

This Rev 1 is almost like a power kite at 14-20mph, which I like it alot !!!

I have a slightly a half an inch straight line rip on the mesh ... can I use FiberFix or ScreenMesh ?

I am getting tired now ... I think I just looked at like 15 kite online stores ... why is it so hard to find and very vague information about it ?

Good night.

6 hours ago, DeafThunder said:

Rev Bridles : on my B-Series it's getting worn out ... what store online has it ? ... is it possible to make my own bridles (like duplicating it) ?

Rev 1 : according to revkite.com's Rev 1 specification,  this kite can handle up to 25 mph ... I only flew it at 17mph on 160 feet line (rev kite line + power kite line) ... it's AWESOME for first 20 minutes ... then one of the vertical bar snapped (did not hurt the kite) ... What now ? ... The wind has not reach 18 mph or higher at all ... the spar's label said "Revolution Equipped" ... is there something wrong there ? ... and who has Rev 1 spars at online store ? ... can I get a stronger spars ? ... can I just go buy carbon tube and cut it for less ? ... 

B-Series : I need to go buy some spars or can I just go buy carbon tube and cut it for less ?

Speaking of RevKites.com's "Find a store" ... I thought I picked "Rev Bridles" > find a store ... a WHOLE list ... I just checked out a few store online already and have not found spars, then one last time ... picked another store ... how am I suppose to know which this SPARS for ... Rev 1 or B-Series ... I have already measured the spars ... Rev 1 vertical spar is 36" long and B-Series is 31" long ... 

Will you give me a good start in details ... or umm ... I just don't want to buy the wrong spars ... Thanks.

I am going to check out few more stores if I can find it ... 

See ? http://intothewind.com/ItemSearch--search-Spars--srcin-1 ... it does not even tell me how long is it ... $2 a foot ? $2 for a single 31" or 36" spar ? $2 for what ?

after check out like 10th kite store online ... found one ... http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/categories/Kite-Parts-and-Supplies/

http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/products/Revolution-B-2-Spar-%252d-2-wrap-Regular.html ... Rev B ... is that referring to B-Series and it does not even tell me how long is it or thickness ?

That is what I meant "give me a good start" ... so I won't be so confusing. 

I just found Rev 1 Spars just now ... http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/products/Revolution-I-4-Wrap-Equipped-Regular-Spar.html

4 wrap ? ... isn't that suppose to be very strong ? or I got a defective spar ? 

Is this one stronger than 4 wrap ? http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/products/Revolution-I-Race-Regular-Spar.html

Can I get a thicker than that like the Rev 1 Leading Rod as Vertical Bar, if replace the endcap with thicker size ? ...

This Rev 1 is almost like a power kite at 14-20mph, which I like it alot !!!

I have a slightly a half an inch straight line rip on the mesh ... can I use FiberFix or ScreenMesh ?

I am getting tired now ... I think I just looked at like 15 kite online stores ... why is it so hard to find and very vague information about it ?

Good night.

Any shop that sells Revs will have bridles. A "1.5 bridle" will fit ALL of the 1.5 sized kites. EXP, SLE's, B Series, Pros and Masterpiece. Same with spars. Just remember with spars there are 2 types. Ones WITH a ferrule and one WITHOUT a ferrule. You could get some "other" spars and cut them. Ferrule them too. Rev makes great rods, a great range of them too. Every application is covered. I wouldn't want the extra effort involved. But that's just me. 

With the spar breaking on your Rev 1, did you measure the wind to be 17mph yourself? A lot of the time ground wind speed can be less than the wind speed higher up, say at 140 feet. Also gusts have some high energy in them. 

If you are unsure, just ask any kite store to explain. They are pilots who have a passion for kites too. 

• Like 1

@SparkieRob : Yes, I have a wind meter that have an option minimum and maximum recording ... it was on tip of a 4ft pole at the highest point of the land and not obstruct by anything (wide open flat land) ... maximum wind was 17.2mph, I checked after spar broke. ChicagoKite and CobraKites does not carry spars or bridles or even endcaps, but only sell Rev Kites as a complete set ... and also there are more than just 2 types of spars ... for example blast spars is llike 22 inches.

@makatakam : well, first I did used forum search ... and found at least 85% comments are unrelated to a specific question, in another word ... hijacked or sidetracked ... there are very few great topic with straight comments

It would be nice to have a good list of FAQ ... PINNED/STICKING

... now I am wide awake and continuing to look for answers.

Thanks

First of all - FORGET the factory wind range!!! I wouldn't put up a Rev 1 in those winds, unless I'm looking to break stuff! Why do you think they make as many models of kites as they do?? Midvent, full vent, xtra-vent, all have their own "sweet spot" in the wind range. You could fly in the stated ranges - yep and risk stuff going snap!! Too many get caught up in the numbers and forget common sense in flying the right kite for the conditions! But that comes with experience in all kinds of winds, both light and heavy and everything in between. IMHO that is way more wind than a Rev 1 was designed to be in!

Pretty sure there is either here or on the Rev forum - a pretty good list of the spars, with a scale of strengths to help you decide on the "right ones".

SR is correct - ALL 1.5 bridles fit ALL 1.5 size sails! Rev 1 bridles fit 1s and Zens! 

There isn't anything stronger than a 4 wrap unless you contact the factory and have something custom made. Yes you can make your own from blank rods, if you have the correct tools, glue, ferrules, to do so. Many have, but they also usually have years of experience and know what they are getting to do this. Do you know the difference between a P90 and a P400 Sky Shark rod? Unless you do - you might end up getting something lighter rather than stronger. 

YMMV!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hyzakite said:

Wednesday already and no answer to the 1" rip!  The method I've used is the scotch tape on one side, turn the kite over, crazy glue along the rip on the other side, let it sit until it dries, remove the tape if you want or leave it on. 

Thanks for the tips :)

9 hours ago, hyzakite said:

Wednesday already and no answer to the 1" rip!  The method I've used is the scotch tape on one side, turn the kite over, crazy glue along the rip on the other side, let it sit until it dries, remove the tape if you want or leave it on. 

In this topic? I don't see anything like that, however, the method you describe here is similar to a method I have used. Tedlar tape on the back and a very thin line of crazy glue on the front. The tedlar tape sticks to the ripstop very well and the crazy glue bonds to the tape and the ripstop, so you can use a 1/4" strip of tape and the repair will be pretty much permanent. You can use only the tedlar tape, but a wider strip, on the back and that holds pretty well too, or use on both sides if the tear is at a major stress point. At stress points the best repair would be to sew a patch of sail material around it.

There are couple options for you to get everything from one place. Most of the shops previously mentioned can get whatever you need even of they don't have it in stock. I've dealt with A Wind Of Change and Kite Connection; both are great shops. My experience with A Wind Of Change is that it's best to call them rather than e-mail. Beyond that, it's quite possible some shops have repair items on hand that aren't on their web site.

My opinion it's best to deal with a shop (support small business), but you can also get everything you need directly from Rev. 

I had a tiny hole on ripstop fabric ... half an inch "square" of gorilla tape on both side ... it stays there HARD... never have an issue ... oh ... yeah ... I have a like 10" rip on my 3m oZone power kite ... I did use the gorilla tape on both side ... after almost 2 months ... it has not rip or open at all ... UNBELIEVABLE ... I love this Gorilla company !!! ... I even have a super glue as well :)

I looked up "tedlar" tape (it's new to me) ... thanks for this tip ... got a certain brand name of tedlar tape ?

But, Rev does not have a kite store "online" ... rather this "Find a store" button ... I can have someone to call Lolly to come back to my own chat room to make a purchase.

Hi @DeafThunder

I also use online shopping or email to contact shops, mostly because I'd hate to pay for an overseas call... I found that Phil from Fly Market supplies and Marianne from Kites and Fun Things are both very helpful over electronic communication.

About Tedlar material, I really like using Tenacious tape https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/tenacious-tape#10691

I've read that Prism now sells Tear Aid, which is also a brand.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, hyzakite said:

My mistake on the rip! It was actually 1/2" straight line rip, in the first post, 3 line from the bottom. Sorry about that, my eyes aren't what they use to be!

Ok, found it. I thought you posted the question. My bad.

It is a mesh tear he's talking about, which can be taped but is best sewn.

Not the same as a door or window screen. What kind of thread do you have laying around? Polyester, just weave it in and out of the mesh lightly from the leading edge to the sail, and back and forth along the 1/2" rip. The mesh can only take so much sudden direction changes or folding back and forth before something gives. I have a favorite rev that probably has 8" total of mesh failure, I'll probably fly it for a few more years before I worry about not being able to fly it ever again. The mesh has a 16 thread count, just borrow a 1"x1" piece from your neighbor's window screen, and piece it in.

Yes, Like shirt button thread, If it's a Carhart shirt button yes. However, If it's a Jelly Bean baby clothes shirt button, probably not.

It's repairing flimsy mesh/screen material, you need to be careful both vertically and horizontally. That's why you're just weaving through the square holes, not yanking and pulling. The repair is just to keep it from spreading, that's why the crazy glue method repair. It isn't the best, isn't the worst method. It just reminds you how not to repeat how it was damaged in the first place, and it works until you have the means to start from scratch again, repair or replace.

There is this screen material used for swimming pool skimmers / bags, the color is blue, and the skimmer bag holds a bunch of wet leaves with weight! That material doesn't separate so easy. My rev1 stack has marine grade mesh, enough of that stuff.

As far as replacing your bridle, the left and right verticals are the same per its kite, the horizontal is standard as well. Replicate each of the 3 pieces, 2 being the same, third being the horizontal piece. And, you've made a bridle!