KiteLife Forum

New guy saying "hello"

NewbieFrank

Hello, guys and gals:

I'm brand-new to KiteLife.com, and firstly want to say thanks to those who created and maintain this forum.  I've only just begun to explore the site, and can already tell it's filled with invaluable information and kindhearted, helpful folks.

I just bought my first two-line kite, a Prism Synapse 1.7 based upon the recommendation of the store owner (probably in no small measure due to her very limited stock!).  I live within walking distance to a north shore beach on Long Island.  Believe it or not, I went to fly it on Sunday morning for the first time and there was literally no wind - a highly unusual circumstance, so I have not been able to assess the appropriateness of this purchase for my environment and skill level (complete novice).  I take some solace in the fact that there's nothing to break, which is why I was steered away from a two-line delta by the salesperson.

I do build and fly R/C model helicopters, and thought a dual-line kite would be an awesome way to insure I continue to get outside this fall when the wind is too high to fly them.  Hope to be posting some experiences with the kite soon.  Any opinions as to whether it is a reasonably appropriate kite for a newbie?

Best,

NF

• Like 2

Seriously... North Shore of LI ? It almost sounds like you bought your kite from Lanie... It's exciting news to hear that there's a local looking to get into kiting. I was flying on Sunday at Cedar Beach, and yes, the wind was a little low, I only flew for a few hours before packing it in.

Welcome to the forum, hopefully we'll find each other on the beach & enjoy some good wind !

• Like 1

Hi, Frank and welcome to the forum. 

The kite you bought should be just fine for learning basic control of dual-line kites in general. Eventually you may get into something more sophisticated, but for now it'll do just fine. In moderate wind you'll be able to zip around pretty well. Since you've been flying RC you probably have a decent understanding of flight dynamics. The only difference between a plane and a kite is the lack of engine. Just think of the kite as a glider.

Have fun, smile, and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

Hi Frank, welcome!

As makatakam said, you should be fine for the interim... As long as the kite isn't yanking you off your feet almost any dual line foil is fine for learning the basics of L/R control and using the wind window, but not a whole lot more - all foils are limited in their acrobatics.

When you get the itch (and I think you will), you'll want to step up into a delta wing - you're comparatively close to @RobB, he's a veteran here and it's likely you'll meet up at some point.

Regardless, warmest welcome again - you're in good hands. ;)

Wow, what a warm welcome!  Thanks, guys!  Yep...bought my kite from Lanie in Port Jefferson.  In fact, when I browsed RobB's photos, I recognized the Port Jeff ferry...and those pebble-strewn beaches sure do look familiar!  I'm in Northport, just a hair west of PJ.

I think the Prism Synapse kite is perfect for my current needs and skill level, and that Lanie gave me excellent advice.  I have no illusions about my rank beginner skill level...although I WILL tell you this...I just came back from Crab Meadow Beach where I had my first uneventful flight ahead of what promises to be two days of rain, and although nervous as heck, I got it up and down with no issues.  Thank god for all your tutorials!  My wife says I'm "slow but trainable."  :lol:

I arrived at the beach at 6:50am.  The sky was just brightening up and the wind was stiff and steady, straight out of the east - perfect because they put up those spikey snow fences and I was able to keep the kite far away from them.  The Prism Synapse pulls damned hard in it's power zone!!!  I had to put one foot forward to brace myself at times.  I had no problems whatsoever with traversing the kite L --> R --> L and doing figure 8's.  I did NOT try a loop - I think I need lesser winds for that maneuver.  I was angry with myself that I didn't bring my GoPro...I figured I'd just be documenting my abject failure.  But no!  It went well, even the touch down, which I made off to my right (north), successfully stalling the kite about a foot off the sand and then just stepping towards it to have it collapse.

I'm off to work now, totally stoked.

Best to all,

Frank

• Like 2

@Makatakam:  LOL!  Well, that certainly happened with my R/C heli's!  If I get enough kite practice in over the winter maybe I'll take a suggestion or two from you experts in the spring on an appropriate "next" kite.  I'm a little alarmed at the power of the Synapse 1.7, but maybe that's just my newbie-ness showing through.

Still pissed at myself for not having brought my GoPro to the beach to document my loss of two line kite virginity.  :(

Frank

Hey Frank...

I've flown at Crab Meadow, it's a good spot ! Also, Sunken Meadow is good, but sucks because they charge admission. West Meadow beach is good, too. Let me know when you want to test-fly some kites with sticks, I have a few dual line & quad line kites. I am getting lazy as the years go on, and fly single line kites while sitting in a beach chair, too.

Lanie's store is a short walk from my house. Too bad you missed the days when more than half her store was filled with kites. I bet she lit up when you came in, shopping for a kite, though. 

~Rob.

Crab Meadow was completely deserted this morning except for one man and his dog.  Just as I was driving away a cop car pulled in.  I doubt someone called the cops on account of me...probably he was just looking for a place to coop while drinking his coffee or eating his breakfast.  But it unnerved me a bit.  I didn't want to be told I couldn't fly there and then try to pretend I was never warned at some date in the future.  I've had that experience A LOT with my R/C helicopters.

There's no charge at Sunken Meadow or any other state park at this time of year...but yeah, the fees 9 months out of the year suck.  Also, what with all the school shootings, an adult can't go anywhere NEAR a schoolyard Monday through Friday anymore.  I was merely hiking across a schoolyard LAWN as a shortcut to a wooded trail about a month ago, and some lady security guard got all up in my face.  Had on a hydration backpack, carrying a GPS, compass, and walking stick and she treated me like I was a member of ISIS.  I reamed her out on how utterly over-the-top ridiculous she was being and she made all kinds of lame excuses...my job, blah, blah, blah.  No way I'm taking a kite to ANY school yard in the current high-anxiety climate, so I'm wondering about places like the Pilgrim State Psych Center, stand-alone baseball fields, etc. as places to fly.  Definitely need some options once the beaches get crowded again.

Dunno what makes you think I hadn't frequented Lanies "back in the day."  Although I recently sold my fourth (and last) Harley and have no plans to get back into motorcycles while residing on Long Island, I used to frequent PJ all the time on my bike with my riding buddies!  My wife and I have MANY of Lanie's wind-toys at our home from our trips into town!  I loved the old store on the east side of Main Street.  It had character.  I just wasn't into kites at the time...so in that sense, I missed out for sure.

Frank

Right by the Pilgrim State grounds (just east) is a good flying field, I think it's called Brentwood park, it's right across from SCCC. A little further east is Bald Hill, right off exit 63N, it has pretty good wind from all directions (being the highest point on LI). The beach crowd isn't too bad on the North Shore during the week, but you have to get there early on the weekends.

The State Parks are still charging admission on weekends, I don't know if they stop once it actually turns winter, but I know that Sunken Meadow & Heckshire SP are still charging. 

Didn't know you were part of the motorcycle parade that rolls into PJ every weekend... my kids know just about every kind of motorcycle, and even different Harley models. Not that I ride (not on LI !) but the motorcycles are a big deal here.

@RobB:Thanks for the additional potential flying sites!  I >>DO<< want you to know that the state parks stopped collecting fees on November 23 - even on weekends.  Here's a cut and paste of the relevant calendar of fees from the web site:  "9/13 - 11/23: 8am-4pm, weekends & holidays - $8/car"  I've been hiking the Long Island Greenbelt on the week-ends which starts in Sunken Meadow (3 miles from my home) and I've not been charged.  In fact, the toll booth is presently deserted.  See:  http://nysparks.com/parks/37/fees-rates.aspx

I've been checking out your photos and videos, Rob.  Damn good stuff!!!  BTW...we seem to have the EXACT same taste in music!!  Just add some Pink Floyd, would ya??  :lol:

My motorcycling days are pretty much over.  "Been there, done that."  LI is too crowded with cars, ill maintained roads and distracted drivers these days.  Our group stopped riding to PJ when the town decided to get motorcycle unfriendly...that whole spat over how many M/C's could be parked in one spot, yada, yada.  I started with a Wide Glide, and owned a Rocker (Harley's version of a chopper) and an Ultra Classic that I sold this spring.  I also had a custom chopper (Saxon Warlord) made for me in Arizona with an S&S engine that was terrifyingly powerful and utterly GORGEOUS.  Sadly, I had it "Lemon Lawed" and got all my money back because out of the nine months I owned it, it was in the shop with one problem after another (leaking gas, electrical problems, tranny failing to shift (tranny was eventually subjected to a recall) for 60% of the time I owned it.  The M/C mechanic and my riding buddies testified about the bike and the judge had no qualms about ordering the manufacturer to come to NY and pick up the bike, which they did.  What a debacle.

Kites are way less expensive, far less likely to injure, and IMHO, even more fun!

Saxon-Warlord.jpg

Wow, that is a sweet lookin' ride. I'd like to ride that for about a 1/2 hour, but wouldn't want to own it. Totally agreed about kiting being a good bang for the buck, compared to other hobbies/sports/activities that I've been involved with, kiting is really cheap. I think I spent more on one season of racing than I've ever spent on kites.

Didn't know the State parks actually stop charging on the weekends, I just don't go unless I'm meeting others. I have 3 village beaches and 2 town beaches within 10 minutes of my house that have great flying, and I have a get-in-free sticker for both. I only fly at the State parks on weekdays (after work).

Too bad the town has had to put a leash on the MC parade, but with hundreds of bikes coming into town on the weekends, I think everyone else was getting overwhelmed. I like the MCs and hotrods, but I'm not in the majority.