KiteLife Forum

Rev travel tote

Bongo

I'm coming from a 2-line airfoil (seattle air gear) background, which I love, and it's super-packable for traveling.

I saw some nice 4-line Revolution recently, and I'm considering getting the travel version of a 1.5, as I'd like to be able to fit it in a carry-on case.

Are there any downsides to this travel tote model?  I presume it's slightly heavier, but will it make a huge difference?

take a moment to read this ... http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/6747-travel-frame-kite-consolidation/#comment-54510

I have a regular Revolution 1 and Revolution B-Series ... my 2 tote is 36" and 40"x1"x2" thick in a 40"x4"x4" shipping box for extra protection ... I may order me a autocad drawing paper tube for my kites  ... I don't have a problem carry it around as long as I have tote ... not sure about airport part

Yes, each added ferrule adds weight... For any "wind" flying, it's not much of an issue.

For real ultralight flying, you would feel the difference, the benefit is primarily compact storage / travel.

You can also MAKE your own travel frames by cutting the stock spars and adding your own ferrules, but all cut ends of the spars need to be reinforced (like winding thread and epoxy on a fishing pole, or reinforced packing tape).

while weight changing overall if a factor, I believe you'd notice the difference in flex more (when switching to a travel frame).  So if you want a more stiffened frame, the travel one represents yet another option, even without mixing tubes.

A diamond travel frame flex more like 2 wraps when compared to P-90s.  A P-90 travel frame is a cheap option to Diamond tubes, not as responsive, but certainly light enough in weight for consideration.

A green race travel frame can take the same abusive winds as 4 wraps

On the Zen, I run two green race and four diamonds together as the leading edge, the greenies go where the down spars meet, or intersect.

The best part about the travel frame format is simply replacing 1/sixth when you break a spar! (get a couple of extra pieces, both w/ and w/o a ferule)

• Like 1