KiteLife Forum

New kite advice

Recurve

Hi I am looking for some advice on a beginner kite, The Area it will be flown in is Northam Western Australia. Northam typically has light/moderate winds.

I am looking at these 3 at the moment and wondering which would be best

http://www.lekite.com.au/nitro.htm

http://www.lekite.com.au/Addict.htm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181876628740?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would love a REV but think I need to work my way up and just start with the basic kites first, if there are others I should be looking at please advise me.

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi I am looking for some advice on a beginner kite, The Area it will be flown in is Northam Western Australia. Northam typically has light/moderate winds.

I am looking at these 3 at the moment and wondering which would be best

http://www.lekite.com.au/nitro.htm

http://www.lekite.com.au/Addict.htm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181876628740?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would love a REV but think I need to work my way up and just start with the basic kites first, if there are others I should be looking at please advise me.

Thanks

Don't think that you need to work up to a Rev. They handle far more abuse than you think. Breaking a rod is not common. A sail puncture can be taped up.

Revs are great to learn on because of the high standard of workmanship that goes into them. Even the budget EXP.

A Standard (or Full as it's sometimes called) is a great entry point. Depending on the frame, can go from zero to 25 kays. Handles short gusts into the middle 30's.

I'll find a few threads that are specifically addressing this subject.

I don't want to talk you out of getting those kites but you can't go wrong starting off on a Rev. Look for RTF (ready to fly) packages. Handles and lines with the kite. A second frame is a bonus but not essential at this stage.

I'm in Perth. If your over give me a shout and see if we can meet up.

Rob.

Edit: I just checked out those links and they are 2 line foils. Different types of animals to a Rev. Still great fun. Nothing to break. For lighter winds get the bigger size. I've got a 1.3 Symphony beach, good fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, Do you want 2 lines or 4 lines power kite ?

2 lines does a lot of looping tricks (that's my opinion) (usually with control bar or wrist straps)

4 lines gives more control on the power kite ... basically pulling power and can do a lot of tricks, 

I started off with 3m oZone Little Devil Power Kite this Spring 2015

... My power kite is a 4 lines with 2 handles training parafoil type kite (lots of fun, even my mother flies it) and can used in high wind like 15+mph jumping around, but not floating in the air until you hit like 40+mph which I have not ... yet.

If you asked me ... I go for 4 lines power kite like a parafoil kite (which is extremely difficult to break)

I got my power kite first, even before I knew about the Revolution kite and now I owned 3 Revolution Kites : Rev 1, Revolution 1.5B (B-Series) and just got the Revolution Power Blast 2-4 yesterday.

I would say either get RTF (ready to fly) Revolution 1.5 (regular) or 4 lines with 2 handles power kite (not control bar type)

Control bar power kite is not the same as Revolution kites at all.

Don't take my words seriously, because there are other better kite flyers than me ...

... So, wait for them to reply ... Good luck.

I just upload this video just a moment ago from 2 weeks ago flying my power parafoil kite with a caution tape tail I added to it

Enjoy.

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/6819-3m-ozone-4-lines-little-devil-in-the-dusks-beautiful-blue-sky/

• Like 2

Here's a little intro I did to the various types of sport kiting...

http://johnbarresi.com/what-kites-to-fly/

Truthfully, one is not really harder than another if you have good information sources like the users on this forum (who will seriously answer anything with a grin)... It's mainly what you like the look of, the energy, the movement, and how you see it used in any number of videos online. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies,

I think I will look at the HQ Symphony Beach III as that seems to get some good reviews BrisKites is out of stock on the 1.8m version but has the 2.2m in stock. I may wait for them to restock the 1.8m and choose that as my 1st kite. Before spending bigger $ I want to be sure this hobby is for me.

Thanks again

• Like 2

Review of the HQ Symphony Beach 1.3 by an ok bloke. Ha ha ha. It's actually me...

Personally I'd go for the 2.2 as the pull would be fun and I hate to wait.

Just wondering why the link wasn't put in...

Put it in between this sentence and the first on.

Edit: just checked it out on the web, it's there.

Hi, Recurve, and welcome to the forum.

Yep, that's the way I started, with a Symphony 1.3, they look better nowadays. Had a ton of fun with it. In medium to strong wind it will boogie, as long as the lines aren't too long or heavy. Then the Rev bug bit and it was all over. 

You're gonna love it.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, I ended up purchasing the HQ Symphony 1.4m, It should be a great kite to have some fun with my niece when she visits as well.

Curious to know if you get it before Christmas. They were having an "Express Post" promotion for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly what do you want to do with this kite? I ask because these kites are considered power kites, they pull a lot. I have a few myself, ranging in size from a 1.4m to a 4.2m. The 1.4 pulls quite a bit and I use the 4.2 for Landboarding and Snowboarding, for bigger areas I have an 11m for kitesurfing and buggying. I personally learned to fly with a framed kite, easier to land softly and relaunch. Have you talked with any kite groups down there? I personally spoke with some folks in the Brisbane area since my girlfriend is from there and I wanted to fly on my trip to see her...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2016 at 7:31 PM, Mstroke2015 said:

Exactly what do you want to do with this kite? I ask because these kites are considered power kites, they pull a lot. I have a few myself, ranging in size from a 1.4m to a 4.2m. The 1.4 pulls quite a bit and I use the 4.2 for Landboarding and Snowboarding, for bigger areas I have an 11m for kitesurfing and buggying. I personally learned to fly with a framed kite, easier to land softly and relaunch. Have you talked with any kite groups down there? I personally spoke with some folks in the Brisbane area since my girlfriend is from there and I wanted to fly on my trip to see her...

very good input. i prefer foils, but the framed kites you can do all kinds of tricks with. my second kite was from of all places harbour freight (they dont carry them anymore. maybe com the warmer weather they will pop back), and flew just fine. im sure that a name brand one is 10 the kite, but at $5 if i remember correct it was a great kite. kinda like little ceasars pizza. great $5 pizza. anyhow. my advice is like Mstroke2015 said see if you got a club local. they will steer ya in the right direction not to mention maybe have some used kites for cheep. ium sure they will even let ya try one of there kites.

i want a 3m foil, and this is what i intend on getting

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321281500598?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

its a 4 line foil rts (ready to sail). my biggest foil is 2.5 meter, and i hope it doesnt destroy my shoulders.but at $53 delivered i'll take the chance.

1 hour ago, shaggybirdman said:

I want a 3m foil, and this is what i intend on getting

its a 4 line foil rts (ready to sail). my biggest foil is 2.5 meter, and i hope it doesnt destroy my shoulders.but at $53 delivered i'll take the chance.

I'll be very interested to hear what you have to say about this one when you get it & fly it a few times.  Please let us know.  SHBKF

witch one? the 2 new ones i got, or the $50 one i want off evil bay.

the 2 new foils hopefully wont pull my arms off. just got over rotator cuff issues recently.  no surgery, but physical therapy[y.

ill probably start a new thread on both. actually 3. got a 3rd one coming late next week. oh ya i always jump both feet in! LOL

16 minutes ago, shaggybirdman said:

witch one? the 2 new ones i got, or the $50 one i want off evil bay.

the 2 new foils hopefully wont pull my arms off. just got over rotator cuff issues recently.  no surgery, but physical therapy[y.

ill probably start a new thread on both. actually 3. got a 3rd one coming late next week. oh ya i always jump both feet in! LOL

The $50 evil one.  The pictures at the site were interesting.  SHBKF

not sure when ill get that one. has 3 things going for it.

1) 3 meter

2) 4 lines

3) then the biggie. its orange!

i got a thing about orange. dont know why but i love orange. all my race bodies from slot cars to rc cars, to rc planes, all were orange, and orange and black. even the deck of my USOM rc sailboat is floresent orange. i can always pick my car out from the pack, but yes when i get it ill report on it.

• Like 1

Redcliffe Kite Club flies just south of Brissie. Lots of good folk there.

• Like 1

well i pulled the trigger on the kite from evil bay. the orange was calling to me at night. im surprised that my Accord hasn't gotten a coat of florescent orange on her. actually orange doesn't look good on most cars. possibly a burnt orange.

well when i get it in the air, and it hasn't ripped my arms out of there sockets ill give my opinion on it. sure gonna be nice seeing a orange kite in the air!

s-l400.thumb.jpg.c155878cef16857fccd6e81

Looked over the ebay ad - don't think I would trust the quality of those lines to last long. Didn't see a length given, but most good quad line sets run $65 - $100 ( LPG or Skybond).Got a feeling they are dacron lines that will have a bunch of stretch. If the kite and handles are fine, you still got an OK deal, just watch your lines for stretch and/or wear. 

PS: my opinion is coming from a Rev point of view, we want lines that have very little stretch (play) in them for quicker response.

luckily i bought a new set of lines, and handles (the ones that came with it just looked....)  for my prism snapshot 2.5 (witch can be rigged as a 2, or 4 line) so they can do double duty. or i could use the bar i got with intentions of getting into buggies. got it cheap. its a used kite sailing bar with newer lines as the seller said. only 2 uses on them. ill take that at face value, but then again they must be what good for oh i'll say 40,000,000 pound test? LOL not really but way more than needed, and defiantly heaver than needed.

now all i need is a complete orange foil from a good name brand. im sure this will be fine, but (as ive been told) im a collector.

by the way anyone know if its just connecting the (i think) 4-5 lower lines to the bottom edge of the kite to the bottom of each sides handle? ill have to snap a pic and post it. LOL guess i should say on my prism snapshot 250.