KiteLife Forum

Four line speed foil recommendation?

NewbieFrank

This week-end I had an unexpected amount of fun (and a good upper body work-out to boot) flying my son's 2.5 meter kite boarding trainer.  Up until now I've flown only two other kites, a Prism Synapse and Prism Nexus, but of course, this kiting affectation is addicting as hell.  Anyway, with such a dizzying array of potential candidates, i was wondering (yes, even after perusing the wealth if info on this site and others!) if folks had strong feelings/recommendations on a 4 line kite in the 3 - 4 meter range.  My interest is in tight maneuverability and speed more than raw power.  My "wish list" for characteristics would be:

1) kite in above specified size 3 - 4  meter range (Definitely not bigger than 4.  Doubt I could handle it).

2) kite capable of turning in the span of its own wing-tip (or very near).

3) quad handle control for power and brake lines preferred over a bar (see #2) - or at least convertible such as the Tensor 3.1.

I'm not "married" to Prism as a manufacturer, although I find their graphics to be very appealing eye candy, and I understand they retain a decent re-sale value.  Price is not a primary consideration and therefore not high on my list.  I really like the Tensor 3.1 graphics.  It seems to have most all of the attributes I'm looking for, however, I'm not sure if it is capable of spinning on a wing tip, which is a capability I greatly desire in a kite.  I'm a little concerned because it is sold under the category of "power kite."  But maybe that's just a function of its 3 meter size?  FWIW, I'm not looking to get into traction kiting.  Youtube is a bit of a disappointment...not many videos of the Tensor 3.1.  I haven't found a video demonstrating that the 3.1 can do what I'm looking for, except maybe this one at 1:02.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm4D8pR4owY

Thoughts?  Advice?  Thanks in advance.

Frank

Hey Frank,

I've had a couple of quad foils and saw a Tensor in flight last year. I am not 100% but believe most foils won't turn as you wish them to. One exception from what I've read and vids I've seen is the Spiderkites Smithi. It's smaller than the Tensor 3.1 and may be a bit elusive to find here in the states. If you are interested in it, possibly a U.S. Spiderkites distributor can order one for you.

http://www.spiderkites-shop.de/epages/62502321.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62502321/Products/SK-Smithi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvBWWLXAvco

Since I have the oZone 3m power parafoil kite and rev 1 and B ... and I just got Blast 2-4 few days ago ... and on Dec 23, 2015 ...I just flew it at between 18 - 34.2 mph with an average 23mph of yo-yo gust wind ... Blast is easier to control than parafoil, once you know how to control it smart and balancing the handles as well as you know how to use Revolution kites (if you have one) ... you can deplete this Blast 2-4 easily and much easier than depleting the power of a 3m+ parafoil kite ... I tried to recording myself flying the Blast and my camera and tripod keep knocking down, because the wind is so STRONG ... I will bring the sand bag for my tripod ... LOL

p.s. I flew my Blast twice at 10 mph avg, before 23mph ... very stable, so graceful, yet powerful if you use happy trigger (full throtter)

p.s.s. I am not saying you should get it ... I just told you my experience on those kites.

p.s.s.s. if you want to jump around like a trampoline and it's unbreakable, then get parafoil ... if you want just control the beast and no desire to jump around, then get the Blast 2-4 ... you can even fly this beast at like 5 mph (plus few walking backward)

24mph.PNG

4Kites.PNG

This is my oZone 3m Little Devil ... about a month ago

Here is a couple video online I found Blast 2-4 at youtube

• Like 1

Motor for buggying, or land board, etc.  If you fly Rev's the PB is a great option for power (dragging) or a motor.

As for the really fast speed part, Ed and I got the Spiderkites Lycos 2.5 competition.  Flies in 3-5 mph, zips around at 10 mph and approaching 20 it will drag you around all at warp speed.  On a recent trip to the beach we had steady 12-14 mph and flew the Lycos on 150' lines.  Great fun, so smooth and not much pull at that speed.  Here is a shot of them flying taken from my KAP rig.

Marshall

Lycos_2.5.JPG

• Like 2

Look at the second video above ... JB using the Blast like a "motor" to pull his kite buggy

or look at this racing parafoil power kite to reach top speed on kite buggy ...

... now that is a big motor (mixed with very high wind and racing power kite) !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJngbNv2mNY

sometime we called it "THE BEAST"

• Like 1

I had a Thunderfoil 2.4 a few years ago that boogied pretty good at 10+ mph. Made by New Tech Kites (NTK). The 1.7 is quicker and won't drag you around as much. I weigh about 150 pounds and the 2.4 planted me face-down a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention. I believe they make a 1.2 also, which should be a hoot on short lines.

• 1 month later...

Based upon the advice given here, some comparison shopping on specs, and demonstrated YouTube capabilities, I ended up purchasing a Spiderkites Smithi in early January.  Due to weather and a compulsion to fly my full vent Rev at every opportunity, the kite remained in its bag until this past week end except for a brief unpacking and inspection in my home upon arrival.

Well, I can say after flying it this past Saturday in 11 - 14mph winds, this thing is fast and agile, and can do everything that my Rev can do - with the understanding that as a newbie I've only scratched the surface on that kite's capabilities, too.   But...I have yet another, potentially embarrassingly newbie question to ask.  I see numerous videos of the Smithi being flown.  In none of them are the handles connected by a cord.  Mine came connected with an approximately shoulder width's worth of cord.  Do I divide this??  What is its purpose?  Is it some kind of safety feature of which I am unaware?

If anyone knows, please advise.  FWIW, if it >IS< a safety feature, I have a wrist strap that I can attach to a brake line.  Frankly, I'd prefer to divide the cord so the flying technique is more akin to that of my Revs.

Frank

• Like 1

I think they call that a strop (?) line, you can use it to hook into a harness if you're using it for traction activities. It takes the pull off of you arms & shoulders and transfers it to the harness. I'm sure it's OK to disconnect it if you prefer...

https://www.google.com/search?q=kite+strop&rlz=1C1CAFB_enUS642US642&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=899&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIpoX-7erKAhXrlIMKHdR6CckQ_AUIBygC

• Like 1

Had to look that one up using your Google search.  The on-line images look exactly like a strop line, which I never heard of before.  Thanks!  For the time being I'm going to leave it intact as provided by the manufacturer until experience with the kite dictates what course of action would be best.  Good to know its purpose in order to make an informed decision, so thanks once again, Rob.

Frank

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2015 at 8:55 PM, NewbieFrank said:

Holy cow!  If I had a kite that could do that (or this), I don't think I'd ever fly another!

Definitely have to get educated on this kite!  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Frank

i thought to make a kite prop (well that's what i call it) like that all yer doing is pulling on 1 side and pushing on the other. saw a vid of a HQ pro edge (i think it was a edge, but defiantly a HQ) 300 do it in a good blow.