KiteLife Forum

Sled vs foil

bookboy

Hi folks,

Can someone (or several people) tell me the relative merits of sleds vs foils (flowform, ultrafoil etc)?

As far as I can tell, you can get a considerably larger sled for the same cost as a smaller foil. Does one lift more than the other? Do they suit different wind conditions?

I'd like something manageable by one person, that looks good on its own and can handle a bit of laundry (I know that's vague). Preferable under $150 or so. I fly in a range of winds - sometimes at the beach and sometimes I try to fly closer to home where things can be far less consistent.

Any thoughts, feedback, or vague preferences would be appreciated :-)

Thanks

• Like 1

As a set of joined air channels, the entire breadth of an inflated  foil contributes to the wing shape fore and aft. They also can define the profile side to side better than a sled and are more rigid in that dimension. They have more lift surface per square foot of kite.

I've rarely seen sleds used as lifters because they fold more easily when you pull on the bridal, which is attached to the wing tips. The foils are less flexible across the wing line so they stand the strain on the bridal without folding and loosing lift. Most big lifters and almost all traction kites are foils.  In fact, big sled kites have to start to add more spars or, more usually, more air channels, thus emulating foils.

Sleds are slightly lighter and generally cheaper. Way easier to make. My experience is that they lift in lighter winds. They generally have simpler bridals, so there is less to fuss with and tangle. I have a Kaykite which is a sled with two large air channels along the sides. I love it. It is seconds to deploy and it flies in any wind, but it has about half the pull of my smaller Prism Snapshot (a duel line). 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mitch said:

I've rarely seen sleds used as lifters because they fold more easily when you pull on the bridal, which is attached to the wing tips.

I must admit to being a bit confused by this. I understand the logic of what you said, but in my time browsing kite related things online I've seen plenty of sleds being used as lifters and they are generally marketed as lifters. Or are you referring more to the really big stuff?