KiteLife Forum

Order of compulsories.

SparkieRob

It depends, some precision is flown "league style"... 3 figures, flown in sequence, but with stuff added between connecting them, judged as a routine with a score on each figure

sometimes it is 3 figures, in sequence, waiting between for scoring PLUS a separate portion where you show a freestyle of precision efforts to demonstrate your control skills.  Each has advantages and different priorities.

league style is faster (way faster!), it's more about the show for spectators and your fellow competing peers.   Slow way is a more accurate judging of your overall efforts because the judge never looks away from your performance,.. Nobody cares either way,... Honest.

Remember " whatever is expected  is not what you want.  Complain bitterly, but if you do not enter precision yourself, you might have to judge it for me <lol>

• Like 1

On 1/30/2016 at 2:28 AM, SparkieRob said:

In competition, can the compulsories be done in any order or do they need to be done chronologically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They need to be done in the order specified, for both programmed precision (new name for league style, basically) and standard precision.  

If figures are done one at a time with scoring in between (what I refer to as standard precision), the field director will usually show you the diagram of the next figure, or you can ask to see it, but you still have to do them in the order specified.  

• Like 1

if you enter 3 events in competition you will be expected to JUDGE a few events as well, or field direct, assisting in some manner. The days of dedicated and well trained judging staff consisting of five individuals is long gone.  Now it's who do we have, what do they fly by category and who can we get for a judging panel for them?

Novice and experienced fliers will be the judge of the masters, quad fliers judge dual line ballet & precision, spectators assist with IOIU (Freestyle), kite builders judge indoor.

Scott's words still ring true, if you want to NOT judge precision you need to enter instead.

The best part about competition is the comrades, the newest tricks and techniques, the latest and greatest equipment on site to sample.  Half the kites I own I bought because somebody let me try 'em out at a festival.

• Like 1

From what I can gather, there are no competitions at any of the kite festivals here in Australia.

Currently I'm working on putting some dual compulsories, DI, in the pocket while I explore the 2 line side of things. I'll also work on some quads, MI, when I can.

I figure if I can present some respectable figures and be capable of knowing what to look for, it could means some good things down here.

• 2 weeks later...

Comps can be a ton of fun, although I'd like to see MIX format finally implemented.

Traditional, two events flown separately:

Precision - 3 compulsories flown one at a time, then a silent freestyle

Ballet - musical freestyle

League style, two events flown separately:

Precision - 3 compulsories embedded into a freestyle routine, requiring the majority of judges to look down and lose both sight and focus of portions of the performance (I've seen world team champions looking down for as long as 12 seconds during competition), League style a hopeful but highly inefficient format, imho.

Mix format, one appearance on the field:

Three compulsories flown one at a time, for a value of 45% of your total score (15% each), followed by a ballet performance worth 55% of your total score... Lean, clean, more accurate and encourages a more well rounded flier.

==

Just my two cents... But like I try to tell the "old judges", it's not our show any more - it belongs to the folks who still show up to participate in it - whatever helps them grow is good by me, but burnout from the traditional format has been glaringly high for many years now with a nearly continuous (although gradual) shrinkage of competition for 10+ years now.

• Like 2

Comps can be a ton of fun, although I'd like to see MIX format finally implemented.

Traditional, two events flown separately:

Precision - 3 compulsories flown one at a time, then a silent freestyle

League style, two events flown separately:

Precision - 3 compulsories embedded into a freestyle routine, requiring the majority of judges to look down and lose both sight and focus of portions of the performance (I've seen world team champions looking down for as long as 12 seconds during competition), League style a hopeful but highly inefficient format, imho.

Mix format, one appearance on the field:

Three compulsories flown one at a time, for a value of 45% of your total score (15% each), followed by a ballet performance worth 55% of your total score... Lean, clean, more accurate and encourages a more well rounded flier.

==

Just my two cents... But like I try to tell the "old judges", it's not our show any more - it belongs to the folks who still show up to participate in it - whatever helps them grow is good by me, but burnout from the traditional format has been glaringly high for many years now with a nearly continuous (although gradual) shrinkage of competition for 10+ years now.

So,

If starting from scratch, the Mix Format could be implemented but it wouldn't be sanctioned/recognised by the governing bodies? A "champion" title would be in title only.

I do prefer the routine to flow rather than start stop start stop.

Thanks to all for contributing. As ideas or questions come, I'll keep checking back.

Or if someone has an alternative way to represent, JUMP IN!

Mystery ballet, that's when you have to fly an improv routine to a piece of music you are given?

A cool spin on that would be a "lucky dip" of kite/line set up. You could have a B2 on 30 up against a 1.5 on 50...

• 3 weeks later...
On February 18, 2016 at 7:38 AM, SparkieRob said:

Mystery ballet, that's when you have to fly an improv routine to a piece of music you are given?

Correct, with no clue what's coming... Mystery ballet is one of my favorite events because you really get to see someone's inner shine when they're interpreting on the fly. :)

I neither like Christmas carols or country music, but having gotten both of those for mystery ballet in the past, I do my best to channel either Santa Claus or Garth Brooks, tapping those inner, other, personalities. 

On 2/12/2016 at 4:19 PM, John Barresi said:

that reminds me of and sounds like Rodney Mullen (link) ... the last 2 paragraphs

Interesting dude, thanks for the link!

I like this quote of his:

"Do what you love and try not to look at what other people occupy themselves with. Most people seem restless and bounce around too much to focus or even pay attention enough to themselves to figure out exactly what they really do love, as opposed to what the people that surround them are doing."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the "Tricks Party" set in Europe currently. The format is geared towards pure freestyle but could be distilled down into a more "general public friendly" model.

Great watching those pilots just carve it up.

9 minutes ago, John Barresi said:

Pretty sure they still have a larger populace of participants, makes a unique format easier to promote and maintain... Here in the US, we're barely getting turnout for regular comps. :)

I play to the birds in the park...

Tricks Party may not work outside of Europe. Still, it's very exciting to watch. I know the comradery between the pilots is great, the crowds are big. 

• Like 1