KiteLife Forum

Tapatalk Mark as Read

When I access KL from my Android phone and mark any unread items as read, this site doesn't behave like other sites (e.g Fractured Axel and GWTW).

Rather than marking items as read and refeshing the display to show no threads show in the unread tab, it tends to respond by returning the display to where it was when opening tapatalk with all threads showing (even though that have been read)

I have to select refresh to get the threads to disappear.

Only a minor annoyance, but any idea why?

I believe that if you go to a thread and then back out (go to previous screen) instead of moving to the next (elsewhere) it will show unread, because the previous was unread when you got there. Try selecting another instead of backing out. That may do the trick.

I think you misunderstand the issue I am having.

Let's say there are 7 unread posts when I go into tapatalk.  I read the first one and back arrow.  It now shows six unread.  I read one more, back arrow and it says five.

I'm not interested in reading the other five, so I select Mark As Read.  On other web sites, this would remove all the remaining posts, however on KiteLife it more often than not returns it to a state of all 7 showing as being unread.  It is only when I take the Refresh option that it clears the screen.

As this web site is behaving differently from other web sites, I suspect this is down to the web site configuration or the forum version not being compatible with the current version of tapatalk.

Is anybody else seeing this?

12 hours ago, jaydub200 said:

I think you misunderstand the issue I am having.

Let's say there are 7 unread posts when I go into tapatalk.  I read the first one and back arrow.  It now shows six unread.  I read one more, back arrow and it says five.

I'm not interested in reading the other five, so I select Mark As Read.  On other web sites, this would remove all the remaining posts, however on KiteLife it more often than not returns it to a state of all 7 showing as being unread.  It is only when I take the Refresh option that it clears the screen.

As this web site is behaving differently from other web sites, I suspect this is down to the web site configuration or the forum version not being compatible with the current version of tapatalk.

Is anybody else seeing this?

I am also. Exact same behavior. Android Tapatalk.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... I'm not sure what the problem is, we're on the latest versions of both this forum and TapaTalk.

Sorry for the inconvenience Palmahnic, not doubting what you're experiencing and I'll look for a solution as time allows - my biggest issue now is understanding and replicating the problem on my end so I can submit a trouble ticket to one of the two related developers.

On February 3, 2016 at 5:12 AM, basicbill said:

I'm not interested in reading the other five, so I select Mark As Read.

Where are you seeing the "Mark As Read" option in TapaTalk?

I'm moving away from TapaTalk more and more (the mobile web version of this forum is more robust imho) and I've lost familiarity with its functionality.

• Like 1

I have been looking into this.

Tapatalk for iOS.

With the latest version of Tapatalk you have open your "unread" tab. You can touch and hold on a thread to mark it as read OR use the actual "mark read" function that has always been there.

Then.

When I refresh the "unread" tab they reappear.

I'll look further to see if there is any other quirks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

JB,

Apologies, as I've not checked this thread in a while.  The Mark as Read option is a pull down from the three vertical dots on the RHS of the orange header bar in Tapatalk.

SparkieRob is correct in stating that the mark read followed by a Refresh does remove all the threads from the unread view.

Not a major issue, but this is different from the behaviour of the other two kite forums I am subscribed to in Tapatalk, where selecting Mark as Read removes all threads from the unread view.

Not sure whether this helps at all?

• 4 weeks later...

A while back there was an iOS app, IPS Communities, that was an equivalent to Tapatalk but can't seem to find it anymore. Quite often if I was using my mobile browser it would ask if I wanted to use the IPS app. 

For or what it's worth, I only use Tapatalk to read the forums and comment. If I order anything I use either my iPad with Chrome or a real pc. 

I just submitted a BYO app for KiteLife, using the Tapatalk platform.

https://blog.tapatalk.com/byo-update-lower-price-no-more-app-store-submissions/

In theory, there should be a "KiteLife" app available for both iOS and Android within the next 2-3 weeks.

Still learning about the set up, we'll see if it's any good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Barresi said:

I just submitted a BYO app for KiteLife, using the Tapatalk platform.

https://blog.tapatalk.com/byo-update-lower-price-no-more-app-store-submissions/

In theory, there should be a "KiteLife" app available for both iOS and Android within the next 2-3 weeks.

Still learning about the set up, we'll see if it's any good.

Can't like this enough. 

If polling the masses at a future date, I'd be happy to purchase a KL app.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Barresi said:

Just updated Tapatalk to the latest version (recently released), not sure if it'll help or not.

Hi John

Just tried it again and it's still behaving the same.  Mark read only flags them as read.  You still need to refresh to clear out the post from the unread tab.

It is only a minor annoyance.  It's the engineer in me that would like to understand why KL behaves differently from other forums.

Although I don't have an answer, I do hear ya. :)

On the flip side, I just tested the official KL app for iOS and it worked like a charm (mark as read, etc).

Not available in the store yet, but it'll just be a matter of weeks to get it through final approval.

Here's the caveat... It's still just Tapatalk, limited to KiteLife content only, cost is $10 a month on my end ($120 a year).

The other option is $40 a month, and that would allow me to actually add new navigation tabs to the app with direct links to tutorials or other specific content that might be useful of incoming users... Not sure I can substantiate $480 a year against that though, I'd need fifteen new subscribers (or comparable sponsorship) to wash out the cost.

Not asking for anything, just thinking out loud and sharing the experience of creating a BYO app via Tapatalk. ;)

I use Tapatalk for several forums. So, quite frankly, I would not be interested in a dedicated Kitelife app.

The issue here with the no refresh using Tapatalk unless it's accomplished manually is no big thing to me. 

Bill

• Like 2

Understandable - the KL app mainly represents the first such encompassing doorway to the mainstream kiting community via the app store when folks search for "kite"... Tapatalk will still work, this just puts a door in the app store, which has a lot of potential for connecting new folks to our community at large. ;)

• Like 1