KiteLife Forum

waist harness

shaggybirdman

ok in bicycling circles im considered a Clydesdale due to my size. doesent bother me, but i got a used RRD bar with newer lines from evil bay in thoughts of possibly getting into buggying. i'm 388 lbs, 

1) I wonder if  a HQ Rush V 250, snapshot 2.5, and a HQ symphony 1.8 will have enough force to pull me around/down? i thought i could use this bar with a back harness if needed.

2) where can i get a big harness with hook for the chicken loop?

3) can i get just the hook, and attach it to w leather lifting belt?

Jerry

• 11 months later...

I have a hook kicking around my kite bag.  It threads onto a standard belt.  I got it with a bunch of other items.  I will never use it.  Story i got with it is that someone that worked locally at the Boeing airplane company made it.  It is tig welded stainless steel.  I believe the concept is to use a standard leather belt with it.  You may want the buckle to not be in the front.  If you are interested it's yours if you pay for shipping.  I'm in Washington state.  For some reason i cannot post pictures, maybe because I'm new.

1.8 maybe in over 30 MPH winds but with 2.5 you have some chances to have some drag,Better you may want to try something bigger like 5 Meters kites and for sure will have more chances to give you the trill you seek if you use some 500 LBS lines. joke or not try to meet flyers and fly some different power kites before to engage and buy stuff. is a pretty demanding sport both on equipment and physical effort.DO NOT USE nothing close with a regular belt or something around your waist without padding and on your case without leg straps like this http://www.shadeonme.com/ozone-connect-backcountry-harness .  if use a regular belt and is moving up to your torso after you start fly the power kite you will have some really bad bruises.

mi opinion 

Keep in mind Eric's response was to a nearly year old topic..

I 100% agree if you are hooking in, a proper harness and prerequisite level of experience is required.

If it's a safety item (like a harness) and not geared towards kiting, you are a crash test dummy waiting to gather data. Don't be a statistic or worse. As for buggying, also please don't be a youtube video that gets our beach closed.

There's also a reason i don't hook in and only fly FB kites. I like being able to just let go if I get in trouble..

• Like 3

Wow, this forum is more active than it first appeared.

I apologize for not thinking about the, "you will hurt yourself side of it".  That hook is definitely not the best option.  I was doing the big guy with a relatively small kite math.  The lack of padding, support and leg straps are great points.  Finding a large enough harness may be challenging...

I have flown static for years and never had flown hooked in.  I mainly fly fixed bridals.  I got a buggy a year ago but have primarily flown "strong arm".  I did fly once or twice with an old quadrfoil harness but didn't like the concept of no way to let go and a potential out of buggy experience (OBE).

Just now I am just about done rigging up a automatic quick release (AQR) to a peter Lynn divine harness my with some assistance from Jeff earl (bigkid) from power kite forum so I have the option to fly hooked and have an added level of protection or I can always continue to strong arm it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, John Barresi said:

I love that about the KiteLife forum, I think we're mostly multi-discipline fliers... Even I have about 30 buggy hours and 6-7 hours on a landboard, never mind power jumping when I was a teenager. :)

But few here have actually been line laundry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John Barresi said:

I have! Hung from a strap about 30' up, under one of the old Greens Stratscoops back in the early 90s. :)

I hung under a 15' traditional box in a seat harness about 90' up in the early 60's. I could see all of Lakes Elizabeth and Marie in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin from up there. Aluminum angle rods, braided steel cable rigging and "flying line" and handmade leather shoulder/seat harness, similar to a parachute harness. 

Try and team up with someone never go alone , a waist harness is easy to buy but not for beginners I've seen converted clibing harnesses used with a waist harness but that's for some guys I know how love there hang time , if you fly a 4 line power kite on a bar you can get a strop that has a quick realise in it , once you have your set up practice realising your quick release without the kite attached ok it may look silly but it's that good old safety first and practice that could save a lot of pain , about two years ago I was bugging with a two meter kite and still I broke 3 ribs due to Mother Nature and notsomething silly I had done , in that same year I know of 3 very experienced buggy racers that broke there backs all thankfully have and are still recovering well and that was not while there where racing

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

I would suggest mastering handles in all wind conditions even the high end of the range... before going to bar and harness. I found it pretty easy to go to bar flying but keep in mind you'll always need more wind to fly in a bar. As far as your kites I wouldn't go smaller than a 3m. But it all depends on what you ability to fly is like.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

On 2/21/2017 at 5:19 PM, Mikelp3586 said:

I would suggest mastering handles in all wind conditions even the high end of the range... before going to bar and harness. I found it pretty easy to go to bar flying but keep in mind you'll always need more wind to fly in a bar. As far as your kites I wouldn't go smaller than a 3m. But it all depends on what you ability to fly is like.

Mike, this guy weighs in at 388 lbs. I'm not sure a 3m would suffice, except in very brisk wind.

Mike, this guy weighs in at 388 lbs. I'm not sure a 3m would suffice, except in very brisk wind.

Well yes but I wanted to be on the conservative side lol in my head I'd say get a 8m you'll be good. But who knows his ability. I was being cautious let put it like that lol

We should also mention that in power foils there are beginner, intermediate and race kites.  Small kites do have less pull in general but can move extremely quickly compared to sizes as the kites get bigger.  I have heard some smaller foils described as an angry wasp on a string.  Several advanced buggy riders over on the power kite forum have been injured from sub 3m int-race foils.

What I did... Start small (fixed bridals). Take my time.  Go a little bit bigger.  Get some wheels (buggy for me).  Slowly fill in the kite size gaps. Start going bigger (depower) for the low wind days (still with many bigger sizes to go).

• Like 1

Yeah but I'll be honest I went in Guns a blazing and learned on my own. 4m hornet was my first flight lol

I'll admit I started on a HQ Beamer 3 meter and about a month later got a HQ Beamer 5 meter that I still have all good when your only 133 lbs but the biggest I've flown is 21 meters that got the blood pumping lol

The first "power" foil I tried (OPK) was a 5m Beamer, in relatively light wind. I'm still looking for my shoulder sockets. I weigh in at about 135lbs and a ten-minute workout with that kite convinced me that at my age power kiting had no chance of becoming "my thing". Later the same day the same guy talked to into trying his 8m. After two minutes of hovering at the top of the window I handed it back to him and my conviction garnered from flying the 5m was set in stone. 

Hi, my name is Mark, and I am NOT a power addict. 

Get the kite control right first. Got to be able to hold a fixed bridle kite exactly where you want it on its brakes before you harness in or hot wire to a buggy. If the kite outflies your ability harnessed in, you will get spanked. A depower kite using a bar will require a harness and can do as much damage to your body if inexperienced. Start small and gain confidence and work up slowly in kite sizes/winds. It's the gusts that do the most damage.  

I taught my self and still do many hundreds of hours a year kite buggying, but still have the odd OBE.(out of buggy experience)

If a kite hot launches (strait to the top of the wind window) you will certainly follow it, so if you can get someone to guide you it will be a lot more fun and safer.

1444462638640.jpg

Me with helmet cam and full armour, purple kite and poking my tongue at the end with an OBE.

• Like 2