KiteLife Forum

Quad or dual line for a beginner......

Tubbs

I'm a beginner and i was going to get the prism 3D as you can see by my picture but i'm considering getting a quad line as they look more fun to fly and do better tricks (which is what i can see from the videos on the site)where i live its not windy at all but when we get wind its very strong (because its all fields where we live so no trees to stop wind) so should i get quad or dual and what model should i get??? :ani_punk::)

It's hard to say Tubbs... It's a little harder to learn quad after you've been dual lining for awhile, but not so much that it can't be overcome.

The dual line kites will do more "pitch" or flippy tricks...

http://kitevideo.net/johnbarresi_com/jb-pr...5_sea-devil.wmv

Whereas the quad tend to focus more on accuracy and fine control.

http://kitevideo.net/johnbarresi_com/jb-promo05_revplay.wmv

It's hard for me to say if you should start one over the other... I started both within a year of each other.

As for which model of kites to start with... For quad, it's clearly the 1.5... For dual line, I suppose it depends on a few things.

What is your budget, and what wind conditions do you usually see in your area?

no budget really because its for christmas, but the most would be £200, no more than a couple of pounds over that really.the wind conditions are hard to explain, i live in a place in England where it is completely flat with no hills what so ever.We do get wind every so often and it can be very strong but most of the time we only have a breeze or no wind at all, this is because i live on the side of england that faces europe so we do not have any sea (apart from the British Channel)for wind to come from, so most of our wind has to come from the other side of the country that faces the sea and by the time it gets to us its died down alot or completely. Do you understand?so what do you make of my situation?

For quad, it's clearly the 1.5...
;)

My foot! Get a Spirit Quad. If you buy it new, it probably comes with handles and line, and still costs just over HALF what a Rev costs. And you won't need to spend more money to add "quad sticks" to the back of the kite - the Spirit comes with them. In other words, the kite will relaunch from any position it lands. Try to say that about a Rev, Mister Barresi. B)

Okay, Dorsal... Let's sit down like accomplished quad people and lay out the differences between the two as objectively as possible. ;)

Revolution (in apppropriate models):

- More precise and accurate.

- Lower wind range.

Spirit

- Unique, less often seen.

- Less expensive.

Volley, next?

but you still havent told me which one out of dual or quad to be exact or which model yet

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, the quick and dirty rundown...

Either a New Tech Spirit or a Rev EXP. The EXP will be a little better in low wind than the Spirit, but, the Spirit is a little easier to fly.

I know nothing about duals. ;)

John - I believe an NT Spirit, properly adjusted for low wind conditions, will fly in less wind than a Std. Rev 1.5, and to fly in less wind you'd need to pull out the 1.5 SUL or the Rev Indoor. In that case, switching to lighter rods with the Spirit will still give the Rev Indoor a serious run for the money.

The other outstanding thing about the Spirit is that, properly adjusted for high wind flight, I have flown mine in Berkeley 25 mph winds with ease. The sail dumps the wind from the gusts automatically, so the kite doesn't jerk around like the Rev's do in a gust.

On the Rev side, they are more precise than the Spirit in corners and such, for competition flying. And the Rev's are faster across the window (especially the SuperSonic and blast) than the Spirit. You can also do the "catch" maneuver with the Rev far more easily, because they will fall out of the sky with a tug on the top lines. The Spirit will not, as it has a serious tendency to turn the LE back up into the wind and continue flying. Both can be hand launched with ease.

Let's not forget, I own at least one each of all of the above (including the TC Ultras), and I've flown them in all kinds of conditions. I just think the Spirit is far easier to learn with, especially as it will relaunch from any position. A new flier needs to be able to fly, not walk back and forth to set the kite up again and again.

;)

Well said Dorsal... While I still much prefer the Revs, I respect the preferences you so clearly explained.

What the consensus here is Tubbs, there is no "perfect" quad line kite to start with... I can safely say that there are far more Rev fliers in the world than any other quad line kite, but personal taste is a huge factor.

I would try to find some video of both kites in action, and try to get a sense of which motion you are attracted by initially.

But, for a smaller budget... I think Monkey hit it right on the head, start with either the Rev EXP or the NTK Spirit... After getting a sense of each one's style by way of video.

My 2 cents on quad.

As for dual line, I would check out some of the postings in our Beginner section of the forum:

http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?showforum=10

Keep asking questions, but it's good to see what people are asking already, and what answers they're getting. ;)

I'm in a predicament because i can get the rev 1.5 with lines for £155 on an english website. I really like the way you fly a quad yet i like the look and simplicity of dual but am not so keen on the type of flip tricks you do, would it be difficult for me to learn quad (i am quite an accurate person, i like to think ;) ) this is quite a major decision for me so i need all the help i can get, and i really appreciate yours. What do u think of my predicament? :confused!:

Well, to be quite fair... The "flip" tricks are not a requisite for flying dual line. B)

Some more "traditional" examples:

http://www.kitelife.com/videos/mib/waynetu...lng05mib1st.htm

http://www.kitelife.com/videos/mib/billrog...c2004mib1st.htm

http://www.kitelife.com/videos/mib/jimsoel...g2003mib1st.htm

In my opinion, quad is no more difficult to learn when all is said and done... It's just different.

The thing with the quad, you can put it ANYWHERE you want it, where as a dual line is very forward-oriented.

As corny as it sounds, listen to your heart... One should "tug" you more than the other. ;)

those videos didnt do anything for me. I have 2 problems, 1.this is a big decision because if i dont like it then i will be upset because its going to be my main christmas present and i cant take it back because it will be from the internet and 2.sometimes i just like to mess about and not fly seriously, and just zoom it about if you know what i mean. ;) :confused!:

i really like that video of you flying that is about 7 mins long because its not "ballet" its more you doing what you want and its so good when the tip of the kite skimmed throught the water. You were right about the heart tug thing, quad does that for me. Would i be able to just mess about sometimes like i said in my last post?

Absolutely... "Messing around" is what we do when we're learning, and then gosh darn, if we don't end up "messing around" again once we've got it all down pat. :blue-cool:

The other thing about the Rev, it should come with a basic training DVD as well... It will cover the basics of flight (set up, launching, up & down, left & right, etc).

I also plan on doing my own series of short Rev tutorials and putting them in the subscriber's section of Kitelife sometime in the Spring... They'll range from basic to highly advanced topics.

from what you have said i think i will get a quad. I really appreciate all your help.when you say short strings, how short?so i can check on the one i'm going to buy.quads just seem like the best choice for me i just love the way they are flown and their "style" and accuracy and precision. :blue-cool:

John, you're the Master of the Lair here, can you just move this whole thread to the beginner section or something? It seems like a useful thread for others just starting out, and it's doubtful that they'd even look in the Indoor section.

As for line length, I wouldn't start with anything too short. My 1.5 came with 85' lines and that was fine for learning. It just gives you more space and time to practice, and things happen slower.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 65' would probably be doable for a new flyer.

Personally, I like my 35' lineset. I'll probably make a 50' set at some point, and that's probably about as long as I'll go for a while.

A longer set is good for when you're flying with others though.

Also - since you're planning to get a Rev - make sure to check out the quad forum!

And lastly, I agree with Dennis (Dorsal) that the Spirit is a bit easier to learn on, and smoother - and it already has sticks on the back. However that said, personally I like the Rev better (with sticks). If you don't know what sticks are, check in the quad forum.

Jason

Thanks Jason, good call... Topic moved, with a link left behind.

As for line lengths, I'd loosely agree with Jason... Your kite will probably come with 75' - 85' lines which are perfect for learning on.

The longer your lines, the more sky your kite has to pass through before it hits the ground... As you get comfortable, you can always drop down (or cut down) to 50' - 65' as mentioned above.

35' is pretty darn short for your first few months I think.

If you're curious about quad (or "magic") sticks, they are available exclusively from (far as I know) High Flyers Kite Co at...

http://www.buyakite.com