KiteLife Forum

First post. Need help

the bigp

Welcome, Mark... is the knot in the flying lines, or the bridle of the kite ? If it's in the flying lines, an knot will severely reduce the strength of the lines. That being said, it will probably break on a windy day when you're leaning back against the pull of the kite... bam ! next thing you know, you're on your butt, and the kite is doing a million mile an hour death spiral. Been there, done that ! 

If you can't get it untied, just be ready for that. If you do get into a death spiral, you have to run towards the kite to get it to land. It's not a fun prospect, but it happens, we all have to deal with it eventually.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. New to the kite world. The knot is on the 85 foot line that is on the winder. i m worried that I am fraying the line when i pick at it. It's as tight as can be. Living in Vancouver I have no idea where to get new lines for it.  Are lines sold by the pair ? Sorry about all the questions ? 

Yes, lines are sold as a set. Keep picking at it, find someone with fingernails... my wife can untie any knot ! I cut my nails really short, and sometimes have trouble with these things. A little fraying is OK, most of my lines are a bit fuzzy after years of flying them.

There are a number of people who fly up your way, there must be a kite shop nearby. If not, the Kite Shoppe (forum sponsor) is supposed to make the best linesets around.

Mark,

Sometimes you can loosen a knot enough to untie it by first laying it on a hard surface and lightly, very lightly, tapping it with a small hammer or similar device.  Repeated gentle taps as you rotate it may loosen it enough to enable you to carefully pick it apart with needles.  A ten power loupe can help you see where the knot can be pried apart.  Your Quantum lines should be 150 pound test and are fairly large.  Smaller line, like 50#, can be nearly impossible to undo.  Many of us have broken lines & just made shorter sets out of the remaining pieces.  By the way, I have a Quantum & think it is a great kite.  Enjoy it & please stay in touch.  We try to get together & chat on Wednesday evenings.  Please join us.  I really like to talk with new fliers as it stirs my memories & inspires me to go flyin'.   Welcome to the forum.  SHBKF

• Like 2

I'm as new as you can get. I'm 51 and have never even flown a kite before in my life. Thought i would try kite flying so looked on craigslist for a used kite. Bought a brand new prism nexus still with tags on it. Paid 50 canadian for it. Then 2 days later the Quantum showed up on Craigslist used mint condition. Paid 40 for it. Two kites for 90 dollars and they are both sitting there looking at me : ) It has been raining in Vancouver for the last week , so i'm bitting at the bit to take them out .Fly the Nexus first or the Quantum?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, the bigp said:

Fly the Nexus first or the Quantum?

For a first flight, I'd recommend starting with the Quantum as long as the wind speed is low enough that you're not fighting the pull. Since it's a larger wing than the Nexus, it'll move and turn a little more slowly than the Nexus. You'll appreciate having the extra reaction time while you're still getting the "muscle memory" trained.

• Like 2

Used the magnifying glass with needles before with pretty good luck, on the knot. Even on 50# lines! Just try to get the whole line and not just a few fibers or strands. If broken, they create a weak spot in the line that will eventually fail.

Most good stores will handle line sets for sale - BUT - get good quality lines! Lines are your only connection to the kite. All your feel on how the kite reacts to the wind, your inputs, etc, are coming down those lines. There are 3 lines I trust - Shanti Speed, Shanti Skybond, or Laser Pro Gold (LPG). Stay away from dacron, it stretches as you fly, and wears . It is really good for single line kites, but the twisting and wrapping of a stunt kite just don't agree with it.

Oh, and be prepared for some "sticker shock" on the line sets! The good lines will cost almost what your kites each have so far. But with good care will last a long time!

Anytime you feel that the kite is going to crash - LET IT!! Please don't pull, trying to save it! All that does is drive the kite harder into the ground! Better to go have to straighten out things, than to find out you've broken something from smashing it into the dirt or sand! Even go so far as to take a few steps forward to ease that crash if you need to. Just remember the saying - Give To The Kite!!

Good luck and happy flying!

• Like 1

It will make it harder to remove. Yes, you could fly with it in the line, but it will fail there sooner or later. If it is where the lines twist as you loop, it might catch. Your choice.

Resleeving is super easy. Just untie all the knots on that end piece of heavier line. Come down to the knot and slide the sleeve over it. Cut the line at the knot and then retie all the knots in the sleeve. You should have a loop now.  If the lines were equal to start, do the same untie, slide, retie, using your cut piece to use as a guide on the other line. I've made my own sets for years - it's just a bit of time. You can make lines for about half price, buying bulk line.

PS: remember to not let the end go back into the sleeve or you will need some sort of sleeving tool to get the sleeve over the flying line!

if the knot is at with 10 feet from the kite or handle ... why not cut that 10 feet off ? ... You got yourself a new set of lines

I had a fray (at 20 feet from handle/kite) on one of my 80 feet lines ... so now I have 2 set of lines (like 20 feet and 50 feet lines)

p.s. this is for my Rev B

• Like 1

That is what a lot of us do as lines wear out - we recycle them into shorter sets. Sometimes shorter lines allow you to fit in places not roomy enough for regular lengths. This is especially true for us Rev fliers that are into "street" or urban flying. Think about only having a street width to fly in, short lines fit! I, at times, literally fly right outside my house in a cul-de-sac! Again a Rev flier, but short lines have their place. Where I have room - I use 75', 85'. Or 120' if flying with others. But for "street" I prefer 30' to 50'. 

So use your judgement on the best solution for you 

A piece of advice: learn on the longest set you can! Longer lines give you more time to react. Everything happens at light speed on short sets. As a beginner, give yourself the best chance of success using as long a line set as you have. And remember - Give To The Kite!!

• Like 2

Just got back from taking my kite out for first time. Unfortunately there was not enough wind to get it up in the air. Happy to report I was able to get the knot out of the kite. Thanks everyone for all your hints and tips. They worked like a charm. Best thing that happened today? Met a bunch of guys flying all types of kites and was able to get a ton of info and tips. They bent over backwards answering all my questions . A good day.

• Like 4