KiteLife Forum

Need leaders for your quad?

John Barresi

UPDATE: No longer available, but comparable leader kits with template are available from Kite Forge.

https://kiteforge.com/product/djinn-pro-leaders/

==

For anyone who needs them, we have Pro Leaders available in the KiteLife shop!

These are tied to my specifications, each one precisely made by former iQuad member @TAKAKO using only the best quality cored bridle line.

FullSizeRender-5-e1445112797445.thumb.jp Leaders_(ALL).jpg.c85a55b39fc9b192c6d861

These are complete sets, including two longer top leaders and two shorter bottom leaders (4 pieces total).

Tuning tips: After installing, set lines on the very end knot of each leader and try to launch - if launching is too difficult, shorten the top knot by one and try again, repeat until the kite feels "full" and gives you a good launch.

The bottom knots are for quick equalization of your bottom lines (very important) which can vary every time you swap kites or lines due to the small variances in stretch for both lines and bridle, if one bottom left line feels a little longer, shorten accordingly.

== 

Grab yours now - http://kitelife.com/forum/store/category/5-accessories/

And if you already have yours, we'd LOVE to hear about your experience with them via a reply here. ;)

• Like 1

I got a few sets when I found out that they were available. For me, I am 2/3's the way of them anyway. I got to buy the line and ship it to Australia. Then knotting the first one is easy, matching it isn't as simple. I have made a few sets from old bridle line but TK's are much more uniform than mine were. Not only left/right were they uniform but also the spacing between each knot. I can't see myself making my own again, only if TK isn't making them again.

Thanks TK and JB, very happy with mine. Plus, I can now say "I fly on JB's brake settings"... Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

These are great, I tried to make my own and had a very hard time getting the spacing between the knots to match both leaders. With the knots on these leaders being about 3/4" apart, it makes for some excellent fine tuning.   TK does an outstanding job on these, and in the future when I need more leaders it's a no-brainer Kitelife.

Ron

I have always made my own leaders but what I do is to colour code to identify left and right handles !     Now if you buy two sets you can use a different colour on each handle and have a spare set ! 

Bill

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oapbillf said:

I have always made my own leaders but what I do is to colour code to identify left and right handles !     Now if you buy two sets you can use a different colour on each handle and have a spare set ! 

Bill

FYI, each set is calibrated to match R/L but there may be *slight* variances between sets - @TAKAKO can make a matched 2 color set upon request. ;)

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying these!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
3 hours ago, MWK said:

A couple of quick questions:

1) Does the leader settings change with wind speed?

2) While I wait for mine in the mail, does shortening the bottom leaders accomplish the same thing as lengthening the top leaders?

1)  Sometimes for fine tuning, usually it,s time to change kite !

2)  Yes !

Once you have found your sweet spot stick with it, and that depends on your style of flying !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MWK said:

2) While I wait for mine in the mail, does shortening the bottom leaders accomplish the same thing as lengthening the top leaders?

Yes, as oapbillf said, but not as much as you will eventually need to once you get better. That's why the top leaders are SOOOO much longer than the stock ones. The stock leaders are as they are so the absolute novice can actually get the kite off the ground. A new flyer has difficulty (in most cases) launching when the leaders are properly tuned for advanced flight. Stay tuned. We'll walk you through it. Ask questions as necessary. Watch the basics tutorial videos on this forum repeatedly. You will learn something new each time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, makatakam said:

not as much as you will eventually need to once you get better.

Totally agree.  But while you wait, it's way better than stock.  The first time I met another flyer on the field (@flynhi) the very first thing he did was tie knots in my stock bottom leaders as close to the handle as possible.  I had a couple months experience at that point, and it was an immediate improvement for me.

2 hours ago, oapbillf said:

1) Does the leader settings change with wind speed?

When I first got the pro leaders, I adjusted up and down for several reasons: wind speed, vented vs. full sail kite, and what type of flying I was trying to work on.  As I've gained experience, I've zeroed in a lot more on the knot I like and I change it only rarely, if I'm just not "feeling it" for some reason.

For me they change when I switch between a Rev and a Djinn, they change sometimes when I'm flying with others and they can't launch, and they change as the lines stretch out but I don't want to equalize right that moment.

They rarely change mid-session.

You can do as many others have, adjust the leaders on the kite's bridle "to match" your handle/leader combinations,.... so for me that equals an extension on the bottom of the Djinn & Reflex (4") and a removal on the Zen (tops this time,  again 4").

why so different?  My top leaders go all the way across the handle's gap, as long as possible, so when I reach out there to jerk the lines, it is muscle memory kicking in.  Longer handles get a longer top leader, so tuning adjustments take place on the bottoms, no sleeving either, (just another tangle point) line lengths are adjusted by shortening the attachment loops, no untying bare spectra, no tangled up sleeves when flying w/both handles in one hand.

so now, every and any handle I own goes with any kite, no significant changes between models, sizes, or brands,.... initial adjustments are made at the kite end on the bridle leaders upon receipt

i own enough handle sets that the string is seldom removed once established, so lines may be uneven as a set, but tuning is absolutely as perfect as possible from me, done frequently to a single, well-placed stake or fence post.

leader knots are spaced very close together and only one of the two stands has any of the knots in it, so "splitting the difference" is exceptionally easy, just insert the needed knot into the unused accompanying strand. Neutral tuning is essential for comparisons and testing purposes!

6 minutes ago, John Barresi said:

Aye, top deck of the Sync (Djinn) Bridle is proportionately longer than traditional bridles - both for performance, and so we don't need 12" leaders to compensate. 😇

Will the leaders that come with the new Djinn handles be different from the current Pro Leaders?