KiteLife Forum

Spiderwire Stealth-braid Hi-viz yellow

Paramedic

I recently purchased several  spools of Spiderwire stealth-braid for my fishing reels. As I wa sreplacing the lines I noticed the stealth-braid felt a lot like the Skybond lines. The color is about the same, the texture feels about the same. I am sure it would be ok to use on a single line kite, but has anyone evere used it on a two line or quad? If there is any stretch on the line, how much would be negligible? I guess I will sacrifice a spool and build a line set and see how it goes.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I did with 50 lbs fishing line (length like 20') on my Rev B on light wind ... it works, but it's springy ... anything longer than that ... good luck control the kite, cause you won't steer it at all ... it curled up like a fur ball when it's not pulled ...

Better off to get kite line like LaserPro

You can if you want, but just because it feels like Skybond, doesn't mean it has the same properties as Skybond. Yes it has less stretch than other fishing lines - but it still has more than kite line! Kite line is more tightly woven than any fishing line - hence even less stretch. 

If you plan on flying alone - no harm, no foul. But if you have any hopes of flying in a group, get Skybond or LPG. 

Warning - don't use braid fishing lines around others!!

Thank you for the feedback. 

I do have several line sets in both LPG and Skybond. I do like them both. Skybond is great when you have a gopro straped to a headband. You can clearly see the lines. A friend of mine built me a Skybond set at South Padre Island and it felt different than the lpg.

I put about 100 feet of the fishing line on a prism nexus and it flew ok. I am not an expert or have many hours flying, but it was fun and thats what I liked. Once I was done, the fishing line had a powdery feel to it. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paramedic. I fish and I fly kites. Both are something I spend countless hours doing each year. Fishing line and kite line are made for two different things, and although a couple or three properties are desirable for each, the other five are not. Stretch characteristics, type of weave, direction/angle of braid, coatings, etc., are different enough so that although one can be substituted for the other in a pinch, the one specifically made for the purpose at hand will outperform the other. Basically the same as the difference between a spoon and a fork. The one designed for liquids works better than the one for solids, and vice versa.

• Like 1