KiteLife Forum

Polyester lines?

Java

Hey, all. I'm shopping for my first 2 line kite. Right now I have to stay with something in the 5' range (Jazz/Nexus/Vision/Osprey/Scout kind of stuff). I was really leaning toward the Nexus, mostly because I think it's prettiest. Someone at a kite shop told me I should wait for a while on the Nexus because the Spectra lines it comes with would make it much more responsive than the others. I am an old dog learning new tricks, so that did make me stop and think. I've not heard anything bad about any of the "big name" kites in this class, so I'm hoping to find a local kite shop that I can support, and buy whichever one they stock. (Atlanta area?) BUT if polyester lines would be easier for me to learn on, that will affect my decision. What do y'all think?

I am a new kite enthusiast and have not been at it for long. However, I picked up the nexus as one of my first kites and it was a blast to play with. I crashed several times and nothing broke. The line set it came with was fine for me as a beginner.  

• Like 1

Even the cheaper Spectre lines have a little bit of spring in them. I wouldn't use poly lines on a 2 line kite. Poly has a bit more spring in it. Braided poly is ok for single line kites as it can absorb the wind gusts.

Spring is the last thing you want on a controllable kite.

A Nexus is a great kite to start on, comes with its own lines and bag. While it's not a competition grade, it's not intended as one. Good on you for wanting to support your local kite store. I like to get a kite that I like looking at, after all you'll be looking at it a fair bit.

Let us know how you are going.

One thing, check if there is a kite club in you area. Get in touch and go and ask to fly what they recommend. Who knows, they might have a kite you like even more second hand..

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Java said:

Someone at a kite shop told me I should wait for a while on the Nexus because the Spectra lines it comes with would make it much more responsive than the others.

I'm not sure what the person's message was trying to convey to you. Waiting on the Nexus won't change the responsiveness because of it's lines.

But these small kites are fast kites, unless the person was trying to say, start with a slower kite. Or, maybe the Nexus comes with shorter lines than the other kites.

Ask that person at the shop, what they meant by "more responsive than the others"

I did look at the Nexus and Jazz on Prism's site, the Nexus does come with 65' lines compared to the Jazz's 85' lines. So I assume they was talking in regards to line length of the Nexus.

• Like 1

Hyzakite; I'm certain he was telling me that it was the Spectra lines that made the Nexus more responsive, and that it would make a better second kite. I hadn't noticed that the Nexus comes with much shorter line, though. Again, I know nothing, but I assume that would make the kite respond quicker, and make the window much smaller?

Am I just over thinking this? Is this a case of "Just buy any of them and get out there?"

I am not sure why Prism would include polyester lines with a dual Kite (the Jazz). You should not fly around other dual liners with polyester line. Polyester will cut spectra and make you unpopular

No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

• Like 2

I'm still unsure by what the person at the store was saying. And I didn't realize until I checked on Prism's site that the Jazz is supplied with polyester line, I've got a few Jazz kites but never thought they would polyester linesets. But, Spectra fiber is Spectra fiber, most likely Spectra 2000.

But still, why did the person at the kite shop, shy you away from buying that kite because of the lines it comes with? It doesn't make sense to me.

I would still go back and have that person explain what they meant. Some people have stores with kites in them, that don't mean they know Jack about kites!

Maybe the person at the shop was a "protester" of that shop, and you walked in at the wrong time.

I would still go back and ask why not the Nexus, just to hear the answer! And share it with us.

Was it a kite they didn't have in stock and couldn't order because of such a small order?

• Like 1

To answer a couple of the questions that have come up;

Nearly all of the dual line beginners kites in the 5 foot ($40-$75) price range come with "100 lb. low stretch polyester lines". (whatever that means).

From my research, there are no kite shops within 4 or 5 hours of Atlanta. The discussion I had was in a chat window on the website of one of our forum sponsors. He said the Nexus was not listed on their site in the beginners category, and that I would be better off starting out with the Jazz, which has polyester lines and is listed in the beginners category on their site. He said the stretchier lines would make the kite more forgiving.

It sounds to me like the Nexus is the way to go. It's the one I really liked the looks of in the first place. 

I appreciate all the responses I've gotten. I realize most of the responders probably haven't flown a kite with the lines that came with it for a really long time. The ones that come with my first will be the only lines I have, so I want to get it right.

• Like 1

Easy enough to upgrade small bits later - Nexus will be a good start, do keep us posted on your progress.

Also, periodically make sure your lines are the same length by staking off one end and drawing them tight - poly line will be a little stretchy, but do your best to average it out - even length lines means even control. ;)

• Like 1

Just to make the issue worse... Sorry to say, but Atlanta doesn't have the wind for a Nexus, and probably the Jazz for that matter. I remember a forum member, CaptnBob, was complaining about his constant lack of wind. I think the kite he ended up being happiest with was the NikNak. Just a few more $$$, but a much better kite for your location.

Sent from my LG-K330 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

That's a good point, Rob. I'm actually a couple of hours south of Atlanta, and the geography is much flatter down here. We probably don't have much more wind than Atlanta, but I should be able to find a field that has "clearer" wind. As I type this, it's blowing about 10 mph in my yard. I know I can't count on that every day, but the family tries to spend a couple of weeks a year down at the beach, so if all else fails, at least I'll have that.

There is apparently a kite club up in Atlanta.They don't seem to have any kind of web-presence, but I'm working on tracking them down. Once I actually have a kite in my hands I'll probably PM CaptnBob.

• Like 1

Also take turbulence into account... Anything upwind of you creates a shadows or bumps in the wind, sometimes enough to actually stall or turn your kite even in the face of good control.

Any location is worth a try, but ideal rule of thumb is 1/2 mile of flat land upwind of (behind) you so that the wind has a chance to stabilize - which is why lake and ocean venues are so popular.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Longer Polyester (stretchy) lines will be easier to learn with than shorter Spectra (zero-stretch) lines. Most beginners have the tendency to over-control with large and sudden control inputs/movements. Stretchy lines will decrease the severity of your control inputs, and longer lines give you more time to react to what the kite does.

Long lines=Model T             Short lines=Ferrari