KiteLife Forum

Lower leading edge

the bigp

Hi Rob. I can put my fingernail in it and pull the rod in 2 . Goes about 4 inches long. I thought maybe because it goes into the ferrule that would hold it together? Whats the worse thing that could happen? Another question. I live in Vancouver and hard to get parts. Seen how i bought the kite used should i replace all the rods on the kite and use the old ones as back up? 

• Like 1

Once a crack starts, the flexing of the rod will make it run.

Worse case, poke a hole or 2 in sail. That can be repaired with sail tape.

I wouldn't replace the whole frame as that, with postage, may cost as much as a new kite.

What is the frame made from? Solid carbon or something else? Would you feel comfortable enough to get a piece of rod and cut it yourself.

I'd inspect all the frame and just replace the broken spars. I know what you mean about hard to get parts. My nearest kite shop is 4000km!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Decent size, fairly heavy - I'd be hesitant to try a patch due to the potential torque and the possibility of a broken spar punching through your sail.

If you absolutely must, you could approach it like wrapping thread and resin around a fishing rod... Basically add layers of strapping around the outside of the split rod - no guarantee of safety, but probably your best bet.

Not exactly it, but you get the idea...

The "backwoods" version might be done with packing tape but again, this is NOT an ideal solution (like relaxing the rod altogether). ;)

That's a problem. Prism uses a special spar, a little bigger than 5mm, and heavier. It's not your run of the mill lower spreader. Having said that, prism actually show a way to temporarily fix a split spar like that, similar to what JB described, on their kite manual PDF. You should be able to find that PDF on their website. I've done this fix before, using some kite string and then covered the whole thing with super glue. It actually held on for quite some time, and that spar was broken in two!

I've called Prism before on the phone inquiring about a replacement spar, and they sent one totally free. And I'm not the only one they've done that for. Call um.

Sent from my SM-G900V using KiteLife mobile app

I have heard similar stories from quite a few people.