KiteLife Forum

International travel

FranckPG

I am flying to Europe this summer and would like to avoid checking any bags. (Carry-on only)

I have a travel frame which will be no problem but I am looking to buy a new rev that will come with the normal size frames. Will I have any problems bringing a kite bag onto the plane or will they make me check it because it's too long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in a similar situation with 12 weeks in US & Canada coming up. I will be checking a case, but full Rev frames won't fit.

I thought about getting a travel frame but am considering using a poster tube as carry on. There are plenty of reports on the forums of people doing that and I've yet to hear of someone getting turned away. I'll only be carrying the tube and a small backpack as carry on, so won't be lugging heaps on there.

That also means I'm covered if I accidentally buy a Zen or Reflex while over there ;-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have done air travel with my 2 Revs more than a few times over the past few months. My personal setup is that I purchased two telescoping architect tubes, bound them together with heavy-duty rubber bands, and crossed the straps to keep them together. An extra band on one tube marks where I store my vented, as well as the telescoping length I need to maintain. Sling the whole thing over my back, and I'm off. I've even flown my Revs wearing the tubes on my back that way a time or two so that I can switch out without having to trek back to my car.

I've seen reference to other fliers (double meaning intended) being permitted to have their kites next to them at the window seat; I've not been that lucky. However, if I can't find a place in an overhead, I've had a few flight attendants allow me to stow them behind the last seat in front of the bulkhead. One attendant said they aren't supposed to do that, but they have all let me when nothing else was available. As with everything in life, an extra dose of courtesy goes a long way.

The main point I wanted to caution you on, however, is to check the carry-on limit with each carrier you plan to use. When I traveled to Germany a little more than a year ago, they were very strict about only one carry-on, as opposed to the two permitted here in the states. The flight was in intra-national, and I wish I could remember the carrier. All I know is that I would have been in trouble.

Please post how things turned out and where you went, as I'd love to hear more when you get back.

Rabbit

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

For those who are curious, I bought a 1050mm X 90mm Florence plan tube before my trip (https://www.eckersleys.com.au/products/florence-plan-tube).

It started with 2 Revs plus an extra frame as well as a Prism Zero G then had a 13ft Skeleton SLK added which all squeezes in OK. I've now also acquired a 40" Premier box kite in my travels that will need to be packed. If that doesn't fit, I can always fold sails into my suitcase and use the tube for rods only.

I've boarded 8 separate flights with it between Australia, US, and Canada on United, Air Canada, Delta, and Porter.

It's never been a problem when boarding but the US immigration guy asked me to pull the kites out, as did a security guy when I was randomly chosen to be tested for bomb making residue.

On one flight, the attendant told me to put it in the coat closet up the front. Every other flight it's just gone in the overhead bins.

Jonathan

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting one of these and was able to fit 2 kites and extra frames no problem. Flew to England and France and back to the states without any issues to carry this on all flights with me. No problems with security anywhere. Was asked a couple times what Was in there and when I told them kites all I got were smiles back. Stored in overhead on planes.
Nozlen Document Poster Tube - Blue Plastic Storage Tube Expands from 24.5" upto 40" with Clear ID Card Cap - Water and Light Resistant - Telescoping For Posters, Artwork and Drawings Model DT3204 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NDEXG4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Pxd5xbRP21CFR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nozlen Document Poster Tube - Blue Plastic Storage Tube Expands from 24.5" upto 40" with Clear ID Card Cap - Water and Light Resistant - Telescoping For Posters, Artwork and Drawings Model DT3204 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NDEXG4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Pxd5xbRP21CFR

Very cool, just ordered one for $25.00 ! Definitely worth a try at that cost!

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app