KiteLife Forum

Looks like I was flying a big pair of trousers from this angle lol

kevmort

Maybe? You are supposed to have some bend in your LE! Let's the frame absorb some of the gust and pressure, not just the sail. But yes, you can have too much and it's time to either change frames or switch sails, depending on your equipment choices! You have to be comfortable with "how much bend is too much bend"!

The one thing I can caution about - using too strong a frame for the sail you are using. Pretty much only an issue on standard sails, but I myself, never use a 4 wrap frame in my std. IMHO it is way too stiff for that sail. All the stresses end up being transferred to the sail and that equals stretch! Once stretched, a sail will almost never recover its original shape. Better to swap out sails to keep up with the changing winds if possible!

YMMV!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeafThunder said:

you had a strong wind that bend your kite leading edge into a horseshoe or U shape ? i got that once i was terrified that the leading edge gonna snap ... you using green racing frame, right ?

I had a 4 wrap crack on my leading edge at SPI, Tx a couple of months ago. Surprisingly, the rev remained in the air and I was able to land despite the strong wind. Bill from B&S Kites repaired it for me and I was back up and flying in no time.

--oscar

kevmort - an EXP? Unmarked rods are 3 wraps (or EXP marked) for that kite! And usually offered only as a full sail. Still, all the other frames will interchange in the sail.

Paramedic - Broke a 4 wrap? YIKES! Was it the rod let go or a ferrule? Any rod can have the ferrule slip or let go, but rare that a rod just breaks. Major impact with Mother Earth?? My clue is from your comment that Bill repaired it - might have only been a loose ferrule?

Just a question I wanted to ask (to anyone) ... on those 2 photos ... it looks like that vertical rods is so close to outer ends that let the sail stretched out so far ... isn't it ?

Which revolution kite did you fly in those photos ? Rev EXP ?

I never own Rev EXP before ...

p.s. it does look like a big pair of trousers ...... MC Hammer pant ? (laughing)

8 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

kevmort - an EXP? Unmarked rods are 3 wraps (or EXP marked) for that kite! And usually offered only as a full sail. Still, all the other frames will interchange in the sail.

Paramedic - Broke a 4 wrap? YIKES! Was it the rod let go or a ferrule? Any rod can have the ferrule slip or let go, but rare that a rod just breaks. Major impact with Mother Earth?? My clue is from your comment that Bill repaired it - might have only been a loose ferrule?

The center spar was fine. The ferrules were on good. The outer spar is the one that broke. It looked like it had unraveled where it went over the ferrule. Bill put a ferrule where it unraveled and glued it down. He put a small sleve on top of that. It worked fine after that.

I felt a gust of wind when I was up about 50 feet from ground and then I saw the leading edge fold a bit. I brought it down right away and noticed that broken spar.