KiteLife Forum

Help With Choosing a Revolution

joedc831

I'm well-experienced with dual-line stunt kites, and am going to buy a Revolution quad.  In doing research, I'd like a better understanding of the differences I would experience between the Revolution EXP on the low-end, and the B-Series on the high-end.  I'm not really worried about the price difference, and I'd like to own a kite that can keep up as my skills continue to improve.  But I also don't want to waste money on a more expensive kite like the B-series or New York Minute if the flight characteristics are only marginally different than the EXP.  So in short, what makes the B-series a better kite than the EXP?  Also, does the mid-vent have the widest wind range?

• Like 1

EXP is more of a learners kite.  It's a great kite,  but you would benefit from a B series even better. The B is made out of a lighter,  more expensive sail material. It has a curved leading edge,  very precise, and the best quad line kite on the planet. The NYM is a  kite similar to the B,  it's 25 panel sails are beautiful. My suggestion is find someone to fly with and try out a few Revs to get a feel for them. I think you'll be fine no matter which one you decide on. 

• Like 1

The full vent B was my first Rev. I am a dual line flier, but wanted something to fly when the wind was too high for duallies. The full vent is still my favorite Rev, although I have the rest of them, now.

7 minutes ago, RobB said:

This is just me, but I fly the full sail from 2-10 mph, the mid-vent from 8-15mph, and the full-vent from 12+mph until the wind is too unpleasant to be out on the beach.

I agree with Rob's guidance on the wind ranges.  Since you are inland you may want to start with a B 1.5 standard sail with the 3 wrap frame.  The mid-vent will need more air as you learn but eventually you can fly down to 5 mph or so if the wind is steady.  The mid-vent has a special feel & is my favorite with the conditions I fly in round these parts.gallery_7709_404_1281961.jpg  I almost always have to deal with gusts & the vents help.  In the lightest air I prefer to fly a good SUL dualie though.  SHBKF

First Rev - a full sail (std), and keep an eye open for a full vent (f/v) as soon as you can! Nothing more frustrating than going to the field and not enough wind for the only thing you own! 

Why my suggestion? Think of laying bricks - the 1st row is laid end to end, then the 2nd overlaps the joints. Pretty much how Revs work. There's enough overlap in the 2 sails to get you by. A mid (IMHO) is great for the sweet spot it fills, but is not a good first choice, unless you just have the winds all the time to use it! And please throw out the stated wind ranges! Fly in too strong a wind and you stretch the sail, never to return to what it was before! Therefore the 2 sail idea!

Try to hook up with others first - the experience shaves light years off your learning curve!! Try some of their kites to get a feel for what you like!

Frames: For starters, use the 3 wrap (marked with 3 feathers on label or UL) or the green race frame - both are pretty tough and will take most of the abuse you'll dish out to start. Then either the 2 wrap (2 feathers or Pro Use Only) or Black Race when you get past the stage of unexpected impacts! PS: all the 1.5 frames are interchangeable in any 1.5 sail! 

Lines: the 80-85' lines that come with it are a good start, long enough to have some room, short enough to fit in most places. IF you plan on flying with others - 120' lines fill the bill - bigger wind window and more space for a team.

Handles: If you get a "B" or NYM - throw out the top leaders and make your own - much longer! A good guide is long enough to reach across the gap, bottom leader to top leader. Here's a link - http://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/4409-my-leaders-your-thoughts/  . Some pix that show things! PS: join the Rev forum too, lots of info over there on these kites!

Equalize your lines!! Before you ever put a kite on them - stretch them out and check that they are even!! Uneven lines means you let the kite go wherever it wants, even let you take control!

Single biggest piece of flying advice - learn this saying - GIVE TO THE KITE!! If it's gonna crash - LET IT! Better to go straighten it out than get down there and find something broken! Pulling only drives the kite harder into the ground!! GIVE!!!

OK - end of book!! Good flying!!

• Like 4

I would think, you being a well experienced dual line flyer, you have kites you use often and you have kites that you rarely use because of your area's wind conditions. If you use a prism 4d more than a prism quantum you would probably want the standard sail, if the opposite is true then you probably want the mid-vent. What is your favorite "go to" dual line kite could dictate your choice of quad line kite.

• Like 3

• riffclown unpinned this topic
  • 3 years later...

hi I have just purchaced a rev exp reflex once I am ready to upgrade which of the new revs would you recomended me to purchace next ? 

any help would be appreciated I live in the UK inland so will be flying on fields in Bedfordshire. 

is the difference in buying one of the more expensive revs make it worth me buying another rev? 

I have some pro gold 120mtrs and some 65 mtr lines to be able to use on either kite. 

thank you for reading and any replies 

cliff

15 hours ago, cstubbs05 said:

hi I have just purchaced a rev exp reflex once I am ready to upgrade which of the new revs would you recomended me to purchace next ? 

any help would be appreciated I live in the UK inland so will be flying on fields in Bedfordshire. 

is the difference in buying one of the more expensive revs make it worth me buying another rev? 

I have some pro gold 120mtrs and some 65 mtr lines to be able to use on either kite. 

thank you for reading and any replies 

cliff

Hi Cliff,

Being based in Bedfordshire then Bill (oapbillf) will be the one to contact. No doubt he will be along shortly.

Dunstable Downs on a Sunday is the best time to expect to meet other Quad line kite fliers. Bill and Graham form a pairs Quad team "Dunstable Downs Old Gents" and I believe still fly there on Sundays from 10am.

It is/was trhe base for the Quad Kite Flying team "The Flying Squad" but I am not sure of their status and how active they are.

The best advice is to meet up and talk, fly with and experience flying in a group. You might try dropping Bill a direct message.

Cheers

Stephen

• Thanks 1

Hi Cliff,

I have just found you on the forum !

Yes you are most welcome to join us on Dunstable Downs, as stated we are there most Sundays from about 10 am.

Frequently there are about six of us sometimes meeting up on a Saturday as well depending on the weather forecast.

See you tomorrow if all goes well !

Bill

thanks for your replys I will see if I can get up there in the next week or so be great to see what you guys fly up there I haven't been up there in years so will be great to come meet you all and bring my daughters up as they have only been out twice and I haven't flown for a very long time 

Thanks 

12 hours ago, Bunduki Vlieger said:

If you have the opportunity, meet with some mates and fly some other kites - not only Revs – but also Djinn, Detox, ... ... ... Despite Brexit you can buy some great kites from France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland.

Just meet people, ask and try 🙂

hi thanks for your reply I will try get over the downs hills soon and meet the guys up there thanks 

5 hours ago, cstubbs05 said:

OK thanks I usually pick my girls up from there mums about 1030 on a Sunday so have a couple hours free be great to take them up there as be great to get them flying 

Thanks 

35 minutes ago, makatakam said:

400 feet and 215 feet? Long lines, for sure.

6 hours ago, Caller Stephen said:

Hi Cliff,

Being based in Bedfordshire then Bill (oapbillf) will be the one to contact. No doubt he will be along shortly.

Dunstable Downs on a Sunday is the best time to expect to meet other Quad line kite fliers. Bill and Graham form a pairs Quad team "Dunstable Downs Old Gents" and I believe still fly there on Sundays from 10am.

It is/was trhe base for the Quad Kite Flying team "The Flying Squad" but I am not sure of their status and how active they are.

The best advice is to meet up and talk, fly with and experience flying in a group. You might try dropping Bill a direct message.

Cheers

Stephen

hi thanks I will see if I can get over there this or next weekend thanks for your help 

18 hours ago, Bunduki Vlieger said:

If you have the opportunity, meet with some mates and fly some other kites - not only Revs – but also Djinn, Detox, ... ... ... Despite Brexit you can buy some great kites from France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland.

Just meet people, ask and try 🙂

hi thanks I just had a search on the djinn kites wow I didn't know you could even fly a kite like the guy does on there website amazing control very impressive do people have that kind of control with the revolutions 

• Like 1