KiteLife Forum

Hobbies

kevmort

ImageUploadedByKiteLife®1460445983.953949.jpg

Just took this pic and yes we have all them plus a torch , 3 hammers , a Fabia , 2 plates and lots of natural sponges , I've started to loose track now lol , the biggest mistake in the tank is our maroon clown and then jade rass there both a pain lol

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

Looking good. Those maroons have an attitude unlike any other clowns. Nice setup. I'll get some pictures of my tanks when i get home. I had 6 marine tanks at one point. Down to 2 now. I used to work at a huge salt water shop. So much fun!

Sent from my SM-G935P using KiteLife mobile app

27 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Have you ever sent up an antenna with a kite and a lightning arrestor at the bottom?

I've thought about it. A static bleed resistor? The only place I'd consider it around here is at the beach and I might as well run a ground mounted vertical with that soil conductivity. Unless, I wanted a 1/4 wave 160m...

edit: or an end fed 1/2 wave on 160m. That could be cool. 

Edited by jeepinjeepin
Afterthought

5 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Have you ever sent up an antenna with a kite and a lightning arrestor at the bottom?

I've thought seriously about doing this... when lightning strikes the sand at the beach, it makes lightning glass out of the sand. I've always wanted a sample of lightning glass, and figure flying a kite on a wire into a storm is the perfect way to get some... of course I plan to wait for the results in the safety of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OuEXSi-8Ig

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2016 at 2:09 AM, RobB said:

I've thought seriously about doing this... when lightning strikes the sand at the beach, it makes lightning glass out of the sand. I've always wanted a sample of lightning glass, and figure flying a kite on a wire into a storm is the perfect way to get some... of course I plan to wait for the results in the safety of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OuEXSi-8Ig

I once saw a documentary about lightning where a group of researchers created a stroke of lightning on demand. They didn't use kites but model rockets (looked like the type that you build yourself and fit with Estes 18mm engines (possibly their 24mm types but not more). This rocked pulled a really thin (piano?) wire with one side of the wire connected to the ground. Before launching the rocket they waited for the electrical field strength in the air to reach a high enough value. The group was protected in something looking like an old entrenchment. They could remotely launch the rockets by blowing (with their mouths) in long (non-conducting) thin hose that went between the rockets and the entrenchment. How the launch device for mildly pressurized air worked was unfortunately never shown. At least from what was shown, the success ratio was 100%.

They said in the youtube clip you linked to, that as soon the lightning hits the sand you get lightning glass. I *think* I remember something about that there should be some requirements on the humidity of the sand? I wonder if the glass formation could be helped (get larger?), as in more normal glass manufacturing, by mixing washing soda (sodium carbonate) or potash (~potassium carbonate) in the sand in the place in the ground that you attempt to guide the rocket. Some thoughts of others that have discussed the matter:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480414

And finally, needless to say, take care - don't get yourself zapped!

Twice while flying a light aircraft I've had St Elmos fire coming off the tips of the propeller blades.

A few years ago I was land sailing at Lake Lefroy in Western Australia with a mate. As a thunderstorm approached we headed back to camp in our yachts and had a metre long tube of crackling light coming off the tips of our carbon masts. After parking them on their side the mast were still crackling 20 minutes later after the rain had eased.