KiteLife Forum

Revolution Reflex

RevRookie

Has anyone here seen or better yet flown the new Reflex? I saw a picture on Facebook but I'm interested in details of why they made these. Where do they fit in the family? Advantages? Problems?

Did you have a finger in this John or are you too busy elsewhere?

Curious...

Here's what I have gathered over the time I've been paying attention to this:

Bigger. It fits somewhere between the 1.5 and 1/Zen. Haven't seen or flown yet, so I don't know if any combo of existing rods can be used to mod the frame. Plus the rods used in the Reflex are 5/16", not 1/4", so unless we plan on trying to use smaller rods(??), it has an exclusive set. Being bigger, it might be a good alternative to a Zen and not exhibit the over steer that the Zen does.

Spring system: They have it attached at the vertical and it bows the sail in when it is not under power. Makes it absolutely useless for 3D flying, as it won't "catch"! Instead it floats back downwind like the Blast series. Take the springs off, it flies and performs pretty much like any other Rev.

Venting: Haven't heard anything on this yet from Rev. Sail pattern doesn't lend itself readily to venting, so if they plan on doing it - not sure how!

Pretty much all I have heard, and you can see some of Fletch's questions about it above in the thread. Til I get my hands on one to really wring out - ????

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Here's what I have gathered over the time I've been paying attention to this:

Bigger. It fits somewhere between the 1.5 and 1/Zen. Haven't seen or flown yet, so I don't know if any combo of existing rods can be used to mod the frame. Plus the rods used in the Reflex are 5/16", not 1/4", so unless we plan on trying to use smaller rods(??), it has an exclusive set. Being bigger, it might be a good alternative to a Zen and not exhibit the over steer that the Zen does.

Spring system: They have it attached at the vertical and it bows the sail in when it is not under power. Makes it absolutely useless for 3D flying, as it won't "catch"! Instead it floats back downwind like the Blast series. Take the springs off, it flies and performs pretty much like any other Rev.

Venting: Haven't heard anything on this yet from Rev. Sail pattern doesn't lend itself readily to venting, so if they plan on doing it - not sure how!

Pretty much all I have heard, and you can see some of Fletch's questions about it above in the thread. Til I get my hands on one to really wring out - ????

I am looking forward to Master Flier Wayne's analysis of this new Sportwing. He has helped me all along the path.

Many thanks Wayne, SHBKF

• Like 1

I think they're going in the wrong direction... the new visual design doesn't appeal to me. And after reading about this awful sounding complex system of springs and whatnot... I would say this kite is definitely not for me ! I like my kites as simple as possible, I just want to fly, not tinker. 

I get it, Rev wants to sell more stuff. They might sell me one more kite, and extra-vent B series.They can keep their spring loaded science project... what's next ? Flying a Rev with an iPhone, no strings ?:o

• Like 1

I'm definitely curious about it. I can't wait to get my hands on one and put it through the paces. One thing is the rods, none of my existing numerous sets will fit it. ;( The sail design is different, not sure how it will be vented. I'll be watching this one closely to see what develops.