KiteLife Forum

Handle mods (snagless)

John Barresi

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 12:21 PM, makatakam said:

There are a few other ways that people have come up with to make this modification, but this is the simplest, fastest and least expensive of them all. It works and it lasts a long time. The only addition I would suggest is "sacrificial" loops to attach the leaders if you fly more than 10 hours per week.

These “sacrificial” loops or pigtails... How long and what # line should they be? Newb👈🏻

You can make them any length you want. I make mine about 7" long so I have something more substantial than the spectra flying line to grab for catch and throw, especially when flying on 50-pound line. Each flyer develops their own style and preferences. Don't be afraid to try stuff and discard or change it later. That's how you get better at it.

• 1 year later...

As the saying goes if at first you don't succeed,,, I bought some blue 8-10 wall anchors ( looks just like the ones in reefrunners photo, and some #10 ss shoulder screws as Wayne calls them, really nice btw, dremiled the inside of the tube nice and smooth, inserted the anchor, noticed it was a little loose, put the screw in, tied on the line and pulled, guess what it slipped part way out. I ended up wrapping some gorilla clear tape 5-6 times around the anchor for a snug fit, Installed the screws and it was much better. I then put some superglue in the two holes for the rings and let dry. Pulled with about fifty pounds of pull and no slip. I guess not all anchor brands are the same. Next time maybe leave the burrs on the inside of the handle.

No need to Dremel the insides, the anchor grabs on to those little edges and covers the end of the tube for leader protection. The only thing I remove  is that nasty burr from punching the holes for the ring. Never saw any need to glue the holes, they get covered by reusing the vinyl caps. Makes it look clean.

• 5 months later...
On 9/12/2019 at 9:54 AM, Wayne Dowler said:

The only thing I remove  is that nasty burr from punching the holes for the ring.

1) Thanks to JB for posting, Watty who apparently made the video, and everyone who has added ideas. I am doing my old, original Rev handles today which I rarely use since I prefer my second, longer snag less set. However, nice to have backup and if I ever get my grand kids interested, they can start on the shorts.

2) Shame on Rev for leaving those nasty burrs. One of mine measured 3/32". 

3) To get the end cap soff over the above burrs, I closed a small adjustable plastic jawed clamp to just slide over the tube, then used it to apply pushing pressure to the end cap to slide it off. This left a nice mark on the inside of the cap which I guess won't hurt anything, but it's just sloppy work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the anchor method but couldn't get the anchor to hold tight, probably a size issue. I had some 5/16 oak dowel lying around. Running a 5/16 inch drill inside the handles removed the inside lip left by the pipe cutter when the handles were made, at which point the dowel fit in fairly snuggly but not super tight. I cut four 2 inch lengths of dowel, drilled a 3/32 hole 1/4 inch from the end and used some old epoxy to glue these into the handles to remove any chance of them moving. I also added some heat shrink tubing I thought would make it hard for the end caps to move. As others note, this makes the handles a little longer, but these were my original short pair anyway. 

large.DSC06243-drill-dowel.jpg.2ce207819 large.DSC06246-attached.jpg.345fc089f2f8 large.DSC06253-done.jpg.db6ef30ea801358f

• Like 1
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Between the post and the video, another successful snagless conversion. Thanks for posting this! 👍 .

As I was working on mine, the biggest takeaway was to make sure the anchors you use have a shoulder on them to protect the leaders from the nasty metal. My anchors hung over the edge, but a little file work got them nice and smooth and flush so it was easy to get the cap back on. Cake!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, Rickie said:

This is the snagless handle mod I've done taking ideas from mods listed on the forum, I've tried to keep it simple in construction, thanks for all the advice given, just need to tune and fly,

cheers.

WP_20200311_022.jpg

Nicely done. Now add some "sacrificial extensions" and you'll be all set. Search "sacrificial" on the home page for info. It's merely four loops of equal length that attach to the handles. You attach the top and bottom leaders to these. The loops will wear and fray with use, but your leaders won't. Much quicker to tie one knot rather than four or seven. You can make them long or short. I make mine about seven inches long so there's something more substantial to grab that's less likely to cut my finger (line cut) when doing catch and throw. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 11:27 PM, Rickie said:

Hi Mark thanks for the information on the  "sacrificial extensions" I used the original rev leaders which worked out well 

WP_20200315_001.jpg

WP_20200315_005.jpg

These look like an excellent mod. I’m looking at doing exactly the same with my exp handles. Hope you don’t mind me asking but  what size plug/ screw did you use?

• Like 1

Hi Mad just saw your post, the mod doesn't  use plugs I used the existing holes in the handles and used the original leaders as sacrificial leaders and there are larks head through the original holes in the handle, and a set of JB pro leaders attached to them, i just wanted to keep them close to the original setup,  also used some model fuel tube internally to help stop the chaffing, hope this helps,

cheers.

WP_20200311_013.jpg

WP_20200311_015.jpg

WP_20200311_021.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rickie said:

Hi Mad just saw your post, the mod doesn't  use plugs I used the existing holes in the handles and used the original leaders as sacrificial leaders and there are larks head through the original holes in the handle, and a set of JB pro leaders attached to them, i just wanted to keep them close to the original setup,  also used some model fuel tube internally to help stop the chaffing, hope this helps,

cheers.

WP_20200311_013.jpg

WP_20200311_015.jpg

WP_20200311_021.jpg

Brilliant thanks for that Rickie.  I'll give them a go when the wind drops tomorrow.....👍

• Like 1